Post what you cooked today

Post what you cooked today.

Tried cooking scallops for the first time

That looks delicious OP, great job! How does it taste, I'm allergic to scallops.

Marinating some pork chops in balsamic and dijon, haven't decided on sides yet. Might go with roasted potatoes and shallots, some garlic rice maybe. We'll see.

Again, congrats OP!

for breakfast I had avocado on sourdough with chopped scallion and serrano with a squeeze of lime. havent eaten again yet

Thank you, I appreciate it. I work in a kitchen, so I never really get compliments unless a server relays a message from a table.
It was pretty good, I have heard of people wrapping bacon around scallops, but since it was my first time working with them, I thought I'd leave the scallops be.
The pasta is a thin spaghetti, added to some diced bacon (added it to the pasta instead of incorporating it directly with the scallops), garlic, chili, parsley stems, and brought together with Asiago cheese and an olive oil butter.
The scallops were alright, I think I overcooked the smaller ones, they were a little chewey.

What a nice co-incidence, I also had fresh pasta w/ scallops and a prebought mix of mussels, shrimp, and squid inna creamy herbal sauce

How did you cook your scallops? After trying them today, and funding them for a decent price (in Arizona!) I think I'm gonna try cooking them more.

Oven-roasted chicken leg, accompanied by a curry and coconut milk dal (lentil stew). I like to make my dal soupy as fuck and throw in whatever veggies I have on hand : this time, red and green peppers, big chunks of eggplant (previously roasted w/ olive oil), crushed tomatoes and 2 small carrots. Other than the curry and coconut milk, I seasoned it w garlic, turmeric, cumin and ginger. Had it with basmati rice, chopped cilantro and a few lemon zests on top.

Just fried them alone in a lot of butter. Here, they're really fucking expensive. Google tells me 1.3 dollars per scallop. It was nice having them, but I kind of wasted it with not having a nice wine. Probably won't buy more in the future, too expensive for the taste. And I managed to make them pretty watery, like they were more juice than meat. Any tips on that?

Besides, I wasn't raised in a scallop friendly household. I feel squeamish and lose my apetite after eating a few.

Like I said, I'm not that familiar with them either. Chances are they could have been previously frozen, maybe? I haven't experiences perfectly-cooked scallops before. Mine weren't watery, and weren't labeled as previously frozen, I think that's a requirement for stores in my town or something.

>Chances are they could have been previously frozen, maybe?
Shouldn't have, I got them fresh over the fish counter.

cheesesteak on sesame grinder rolls, buttered and toasted. diced some sirloin, salt pepper paprika and a couple drops of bbq sauce. onion mushroom green bell and garlic, salt pepper paprika and chili powder. cooked everything on my cast iron griddle with butter. on the rolls, topped with provolone and in the toaster oven until cheese is bubbly and browning

pretty good, two of full sandwiches with onion and bell pepper left over, the steak was marked down to 1.50, meal cost less than $5

Got any pics? It's hard to ruin a steak sandwich, and that sounds pretty good.

let me guess

you used a nonstick pan

Learning how to bake and was in the mood for apples so I made apple turnovers with a vanilla glaze.

Tomorrow I'm gonna try making coco bread. Never done bread before, wish me luck!

Doing a laminated pastry when you first start baking is quite the feat. Looks good dude.

Unfortunately, that's all I have to work with at home right now. I invested in a set of non-stick pots and pans my freshman year of college, and have been using my income.to pay for my wedding and updating my knives.

That definitely looks better than any local supermarket around here, nice work!

>grinder

You mean sub

Care to share the recipes?

Wet scallops have been treated with chemicals to extend their shelf life. Cooks Illustrated had a good write up about it years ago, but the article is behind a paywall. Use your Google fu for more info.

Check "quickest puff pastry" on Food Network website, and I used the Betty Crocker apple turnover recipe for the filling (but doubled up on the cinnamon). The glaze was a simple 1c powder sugar, 2tbsp milk, 1tsp vanilla whisked and dribbled on top (while pastry was wire racked on top of parchment paper to catch all the spillage). Used the glaze to cover up the vent holes that leaked out too.

The first thing I baked today was this zucchini bread! "Mom's Zucchini Bread" from allrecipes, but 2c sugar down from 2.25c, and 3.5c grated zucchini up from 2c. Also skipped the walnuts, and made a streusel out of 1/2c oats, 1/2c brown sugar, 1/4c flour, 1/4tsp cinnamon, 1/4c butter mixed and applied 15 minutes into the bake.

Baked for 63 minutes and it came out super moist! Very happy with this.

The second thing was a Jamaican coco bread I had my eyes on. It's traditionally paired with a Jamaican beef patty but I have literally none of the ingredients for that so I'll try it some other time.

Had no idea how often I'd have to be re-applying flour to my countertop/hands/rolling pin, so that's something I'd work on for next time. The retard looking rolls were made from the scraps after I cut the edges for the folded pieces (how it's normally served). Since I buttered each layer before I folded it, they come apart quite nicely like pockets you can shove sandwich stuff into.

Even though it used a full can of coconut milk it's not very strong in the end. I used the recipe from "cooklikeajamaican" and ended up using a lot more than just 2tbsp butter when I was brushing it on. More like 4-5tbsp just for brushing. "Chef Ricardo Cooking" on YouTube was also good to watch for the methods.

Going to attempt to saute mushrooms in butter later (never even done this) and make a swiss melt out of one of these with a hamburger patty well seasoned and maybe some red onion.

Scallops are horrifying if you look at the actual animal. Like some kind of Lovecraftian horror. Still good though.

looks like you did a pretty good job on dem scallops

Lol, yeah. People tend to think of them as immobile, like oysters or mussels. But when people find out that they have eyes and swim around their minds are often blown.

Slowclap for OP. Looks amazing man. The scallops look perfect, and the dish is dressed nice.
11/10

I made Penne Bechamel in brodo with some bone broth last night because my little sister was sick and needed some comfort food.

Today I breaded some chicken breast and fried it in butter.

Strongly recommend both.

Tried making some knock-off hamburger helper mix.
Turned out well I guess tastes like hamburger helper.
Meal itself could have used about double the amount of potatoes but I didn't have enough calories saved for that.

>no protein
Dyel?