Dostoyevsky

Is Fyodor Dostoyevsky Veeky Forums? Is he our guy?

Is this another fucking /polr9k/ thread? Are you trying to troll me? What's your fucking angle, here? Tell me, you piece of shit! Fucking /pol/!

What on earth are you blabbering on about, you nincompoop?!

A cheap sensationalist. Nobody takes his reactionary journalism seriously.

Only the greatest author of all time.

Karamazov is without a doubt the most influential book in my life

So much more than this. Every viewpoint on a given issue is represented. His own is generally intentionally obscured, though obviously not that well. But you can appreciate many of his views while rejecting others. I don't think Russian serfs were particularly different from any other kind of lower class in any other part of the world or time, but I agree with his views on the necessity of choice in value-laden mindsets, the simultaneous validity of positive and negative interpretations

much better than tolstoy. i still think nabokov's dismissal of dostoevsky in favor of the soap opera that was anna karenina, so much so as to write 3 pages on the brothers k versus the 50 pages he wrote on what time Count Vronsky took a shit and what kitty was wearing when she ate pussy for the first time was one of the most endearing moments of critical satire for me.

Nabokov on crime & punishment was hilarious

The murderer and the harlot side by side

10/10 detective novel writer
0/10 everything else

How do normies fully appreciate him? They must, or he wouldn't be so highly regarded.

>nabokov shill detected

Brothers K turned his detective shit on its head by removing any suspense at any possible point. I find great value in his discussions of human (aka Karamazov) nature and even in the Christian stuff, coming from somebody as far removed from the Christianity debate as can be

It's cliche but Grand Inquisitor man, cmon
You think that passage had no value in that it was free of detective bs?

Normies like the detective stuff. See

M-MUH LONG SPEACHES
MUH SUFFERING
MUH CRIMINALS
MUH SUICIDE
MUH CONSUMPTION
MUH DRUNKENNESS

it's a shame plebs take nabokov so seriously, he was just using his platform to satirize critics, and did so well that he set a trend for years to come. In a modern light there is no way one can take his painstaking analysis of AK remotely seriously when he complains of overused cliches in Dostoevsky, when AK is a truly picture perfect xerox of every other silly drama in existence.

>Dostoevsky, wow he's so cool, like Shakespeare. I know this because I have been told this!

I like neither Nabokov nor Dostoyevsky. I don't like fiction, I tell the plain truth.

I loved Notes from Underground but couldn't finish The Double...

I wanted to try some of his longest works but i'm not sure after this. Planned on reading The Idiot, Karamazov's and The Demons

>I like neither Nabokov nor Dostoyevsky. I don't like fiction, I tell the plain truth.

Speaking of long speeches, suffering, suicide, and consumption, what was up with Ippolit's speech in The Idiot? Worst part of the novel by far.

oh cmon man.

He's a misguided fool. You're not supposed to take him seriously. He's everything wrong with Russian society at the time.

Dostoevsky is only fiction on the very surface layer, the same as Zarathustra. It's just better fiction on the surface than Zarathustra.
But the underlying ideas, man, that's the meatnpotats

That makes more sense. He was annoying the whole way through. This might be backwards, but is there a text I can read about 19th century Russia? I loved the book but I felt I missed a fair amount by not knowing much about the society. Is a simple browsing of wikipedia history good enough?

Just read more novels. Read more Tolstoy/Dosto/Chekhov/Turgenev etc.

Turgenev is great, winding my way through his huntsman sketches at the moment, picked up a wonderfully witty guerney translation at a local bookstore and i'm quite pleased.

Idk man that's a pretty limited view of 19th century Russia from a pretty concentrated group of Russian intellectual society. If you want to learn about 19th century Russia there are better people to ask than 19th century Russia

A living icon. What a story. Fuck me, I cried like a bitch when I read it.

Did I say he should only read these?

Get the fuck our retard.

which story? huntsman sketches are a bit like short stories or vignettes instead of one grand overarching story thus far.

>tfw slav
>tfw was forced to read Dosty in school
>tfw can't stand him ever since
Fuck public education

as a slav, what do you like? pelevin or somethin? or do you like foreign shit?

I remember it was the last one in the edition I had. Think it was a later addition.

Read C&P

>or do you like foreign shit?
Mostly that. 90% of things I read in russian is poetry

bakunin
a
k
u
n
i
ninukab

C&P -> The Idiot -> Brothers K. -> Demons

I guess it's his most famous for a reason...
I'll try but the subject doesn't interest me at all

I guess it's an essential anyways so i had to get through it sooner or later

C&P > Memoirs from the House of the Dead > The Idiot

What' I've read so far.

C&P is fedora of russian literature

What subject, exactly? The crime thing?
I too was a bit put off by being a murder an all of that, but the book is too good in so many ways that i couldn´t help but love it.
Read it, you won´t be dissapointed. Especially if you enjoyed Notes.

You're a real Harold Bloom man

hey thanks

Plebs.

He was a shit novelist, his "philosophical discussions" were meandering and stupid, and he was the definition of a Christcuck. He's just a mentally ill hobo, don't take him seriously.

This
>muh Russian nationalism
>muh corrupt Europe
>muh society is losing God
>muh pain and suffering is noble and good
>muh meek Christian values
Dostoyevsky is the definition of slave morality.

Why did Nietzsche like him?

Because Dostoyevsky was one of the few people exploring similar ideas as Nietzsche at the time, but in a very different manner. I'm sure Nietzsche probably had much to dislike in Dosto but it still provoked thought. Also if I recall the only Dostoyevsky novel Nietzsche read was Demons.

>babby's furst lit crit

He's better at putting characters in situations and seeing how their psyche develops surrounding it but he's shit at being a plot driven man.

Plot driven novels are for plebs.

>muh plot meme
it is such a shame that so many people have fallen for this nonsense, as if having an overarching theme and path directing character interactions and settings were some sort of damning effect in a literary work, especially when you turn to sputter on about "muh greeks" when big daddy Homer himself had plots.

sorry, meant this for this pleb right here

I think they met in person.

plebs.

Favorite author by some distance