PEDRO PARAMO

So, Veeky Forums, just finished this masterpiece after re-reading it immediately after I finished the first time. However I still have a couple questions? Why don´t we ever see Pedro in a ghost form. The basic explanation, would be that he simply when to hell, however do you think there is a possibility he repented and went to heaven? Also, if he went to hell, how could Abundio still be chilling in Comala after he murdered his own father (Pedro). Could Comala be hell? What do you think Veeky Forums?
Any other thoughts on this brilliant piece of writing?

Great book. If it is magic realism, then it's the a second only to 100 Years of Solitude imo.

>how could Abundio still be chilling in Comala after he murdered his own father (Pedro)
It's been a while since I read this, but what do you mean here? Pedro Páramo was dead when Abundio gets to Comala, right?

At the beginning of the novel the narrator (Juan Preciado) is taken to Comala by a man called Abundio, who we learn is also Pedro's son. When the novel ends we learn that Abundio killed Pedro. The Abundio we meet at the beginnig is a ghost. However we never get to see Juan interact with Pedro

oh fuck I see, I mixed up the names

I don't see how a 100 years is better than this.

I agree completely. I think 100 years looses most of it's charm as you read more and more. You could read fucking "Ulysses" then read this and still be amazed.

Yeah, the names can get confusing. So what do you think happened to Pedro then?

I suppose it's a bit more expansive so more things stuck with me, I also reread it recently. Now that I remember more and more about Pedro Paramo, I'm not sure any more. I'll read it a second time for sure.

All the ghosts in Comala are in purgatory. Pedro may have just gone straight to hell. That's how I read it.

>ghosts
you fucking morons

But Comala is worse than hell, sitting on the coals of the earth. People in hell come back for a blanket n' shieeeet.

That's what I tought at first. But there are ghosts in Comala that have done horrible things as well (The guy who fucked and abused his sister or Abundio who murdered his father for example). How are they not in hell

For me it's like said. 100 Years is a great work, but Pedro Paramo is one of the best I've ever read.
Also I read both in Spanish by the way.

out of curiosity, but how many people in here are spanish speakers/bilinguals?
I had never seen a thread about this book before and since it's (or at least it was) a book that a lot of mexicans read in highschool, what do not-beaners think about this book.

I read it once on middle shcool (not for an assignment) and i barely figured out what happenned, but this thread made me want to revisit it.

I never get this book it's was too hard and very confusing full of wird characters and dialogues out of place

The movie in the other way was really good and I enjoy a lot

Maybe I was to young and too dumb when the first time I read the book I should give another chance to Pedro Paramount

I'm from Mexico, didn't read it in school tough. However you should definitely read this book. Borges called it one of the best, and it's not hard to see why. It's weird that it isn't more talked about here.

DO IT YOU FILTHY MOVIE WATCHING PLEB

I'm from Argentina and, as I said already, one of the greatest I've ever read.

Good point. I have to read it again.

We read it in Spain as well. In highschool it was mandatory to read this or 100 years of solitude