The Greatest Debate: Chef Knives

So to those of us that claim a higher title of culinary prowess outside of being a mere cook, what do you say? Japanese or German?

American

I dont really give a fuck as long as I can clean it in the dishwasher

1,000,000 times folded nihon steel always wins hands down.

I just use razor blades

This. Got mine custom made from a local blade smith.

>mexican
those things will slice a fucking head off no prob

Ikea 365+ master race here

I like the way some of the more traditional japanese blades cut, it's a different type of cutting however since you're blade is generally lighter and much sharper, but also more brittle.

However my kitchen has both japanese and western blades

pics?

I use pic related

>doesn't feel flimsy in my hand
>wide face for smashing garlic
>and transferring cut ingredients from board to pan
>$15
>it did come dull as fuck
>$20 sharpening stone and honing rod
>wonder everyday why people will pay hundreds for the exact same function
>then I realize why people buy brand new luxury cars instead of used

fucking status symbols. Show off your elitism through your food, not your fancy Axis knife that you'd be too terrified to actually use

>I can't smash garlic unless the blade is at least 4" wide and perfectly square
How do you manage to make it through cooking a single meal without hurting yourself?

Except by that logic there are certain elitist ideals that cannot be achieved by using that flimsy steel.

rockwell 45

I have the 8'' chef's knife, those things actually have a prettty decent profile, i.e. they are sufficiently thin behind the edge. They do profit from some buffing, to get rid of the horrible scratched up strip along the edge where they apparently removed the burr with a wire wheel in the factory.

Are those yours OP? If so, how is that black thing? That blade profile looks fucking useless.

why do you dull bastards keep talking. It's like trying to control toddlers. Do you ever just shut up and realize who you are?

That sounds like a good system.

Wusthof is my main line, but I've also used Henckels and Shun, Shun felt the heaviest, which is nice, but they have weird handles. Henckels is a bit light for my taste. Wusthof was perfect mix of weight, balance, and a solid grip on the handle. Stay away from the cheap versions of all three though.

If you're looking for a beater knife, Chicago Cutlery and Cutco don't get beaten.

i used a 10 dollar chinese carbon steel cleaver for just about everything. any knife is good if it feels good and you take care of the edge. hone that shit and sharpen it ever few months and you're good. anyone who says otherwise is a dick measuring new guy faggot
trust me, i'm a chef.

German. Only german.

Fuck weeb shit.

Bullshit.

Those fucking mexicans need chainsaws, they never sharpen anything, 20 swings with a machete and a fucking hand will still be attached. It's shameful.

Arabs though, they fucking behead fuckers with pairing knives.

Depends. I have 2 Shuns and 2 Wusthofs.

Shun 7 Inch Chefs and 6 Inch Nakiri
Wusthof 7 Inch Chefs and 4 Inch Paring

Chef's Knife: Shuns are more brittle and I wouldn't use them on anything with a bone. Wusthof is what I would use to carve a chicken.

Nakiri is just for fruits and veggies, maybe boneless meat. It's sharp and nice, but not worth it for such a single-purpose knife. It does stand out when dealing with softer fruits like tomatoes due to the edge.

Paring knife is great, haven't used a Japanese one but will get one soon.

So I think Japanese for lighter precision work and German for when you need more horsepower.

Pic related is the Nakiri

lmao

Chef mate of mine pretty much told me the same thing. He has an assortment of expensive knives and speciality knives but his favourite that keeps the sharpest edge is a $10 cheapy with a bamboo handle he bought in Thailand on holiday.

Not the user you're replying to, but I find the Chinese cleaver to be the safest knife in my kitchen. I've cut myself with both my chef's knife and pairing knife, but never the cleaver. And man, does the cleaver make prep go by quickly.

It will certainly not be the knife that "holds the sharpest edge". I know those knives, the steel is rather shitty. It's the blade geometry that makes them seem such good cutters, even if the edge itself is somewhat dull. They are really thin knives, both behind the edge and overall, that means they don't wedge in the produce as thicker, more solid seeming "high quality" knives will.

lol, no

Chicago maybe, but not cutco

>Japanese or German?
Different tools for different jobs. The Japanese knives I own are much lighter and hold their edge better than the German and French knives I have owned and used. However, I wouldn't use a thin Japanese knife for many common kitchen tasks, like breaking down small animals (chicken, rabbit, etc.). If even the smallest bone is involved I want a heavier knife.

If I could only own one knife in the kitchen that had to do everything then I'd go with a German or French style chef's knife.

Right now I use four knives for the majority of my cooking. A Japanese chef's knife (gyuto), a Japanese-made but Chinese pattern knife (often called a cleaver, but that's inaccurate in this case), German paring knife, and a Japanese Deba.

>If even the smallest bone is involved I want a heavier knife.
>and a Japanese Deba
The Deba should be fine with poultry and fish. Though anything larger (lamb, beef, etc) you'd probably want German/French

>Though anything larger (lamb, beef, etc) you'd probably want German/French

If I have to deal with bones larger than those in a rabbit, chicken, or small fish then I go the Chinese route. Not the thin slicing cleaver, but the big heavy type. I own and use several other knives that I didn't mention above; I was talking about the ones that get the most use.

Pic related & a victorinox flexible boning knife is my go-to for butchery.

...and if that isn't enough, I have this beast. I've only used it three times in the two years that I've owned it, but goddamn is it a lifesaver when you need it.

Hi guys /CSG/ here.
Serious talk from kitchen chef:
get those cheap as shit "KIWI" kitchen knifes from amazon they are probly best ones there is for the price (just remind them to pack them well).

3 years and running and the thing still keeps it edge and has had no problems with the handle on daily abuse.

What up fake Global bros

Yeah, those are well known for being excellent value for money. Ergonomics suck, but you can fix that easily with a little sandpaper.

Every actual chef I know uses plastic handled 12.50 chefs knives from restaurant supply on the line. Their kniferoll only comes out to impress idiots and kids on the internet.

Because most actual chefs are working in shitty kitchens, or close to it.

However look at what a high level professional chef uses in his/her personal kitchen. You don't use a $500 blade to chop onions all day, however you would use a $500 chef knife on your home cooked dinner 5 nights a week.

Professional kitchens are no frills price for performance. Which is why cheap blades are very often used in even high end kitchens. It just doesn't make sense to have a good blade when your kitchen is using and abusing it's knives for 8+ hours a day.

That's because they want their nice, expensive knives to grow legs.

seconded

*they DON'T want them to grow legs*

dammit

I got my dad a Wusthof classic 8" chefs knife for Christmas and he loves it.

I tried it out for myself and I have to say, it's an extremely nice tool. I think I'm going to pick one up for myself soon.

Is that Guy Fieri's knife?

go japanese or go home

Yep. In case the gaudy handle didn't clue you in there's also the awful ergonomics.

>dream knife

this is the knife safety equivalent of pointing a gun at yourself

what would you use this for?

Those are what a butcher would use in the days before the invention of the bandsaw.

In my case I've used it for butchering whole animals I've shot when hunting, and breaking large bones to make stock/soup.

AEB-L is good steel

I got them at my local chinatown gift shop

I liked the first one so much I now have 3.

very thin, shitty steel but the thin edge makes them effective.

generally use these for veg and my wusthof for meat

plebs

Lel

better get the 9'' version, much better balance and blade profile.

Happy to stand corrected.

JUST BUY SOME CHEAP SHIT KNIVES AT WALMART AND FUCK OFF FAGGOT.