Hey co/ck/s

Hey co/ck/s

Why doesn't my bread rise when I make homemade bread? I bought some bread and roll mix and followed the instructions to the tee, but shit only rose like half of what it was supposed to. I still baked it and ate it, seems fine, but I can't seem to make bread like my grandma and her mighty buttery loaves.

pic taken from google, not mine.

>>bread and roll mix

Wait, you used some shit in a box? That's your first mistake. Throw that shit away. Your grandma didn't use shit from a box. There's a good chance it didn't rise well because the leaving agent was old.

How did you proof it?

I'm making some bread at this very moment as it happens.
Don't use some mix. Get bread flour, yeast (I use active dry but instant works too), sugar, salt, and a fat (oil, butter, eggs). Make real bread user, it really isn't hard.

OP here.

I'm learning, so I'll start with the easy stuff. So sue me.

Did I proof what?

>Did I proof what?

Proofing is the procedure where you let the dough rise in a warm place before you put it into the oven to bake.

Yeah I let it rise for about an hour. It rose, but not as much as it should have.

Depends on the bread. Some thicker doughs tend to crust over in the oven, which means you may have to spray the top with a little cold water to keep the crust from forming a few times while it's baking.

Tip: Turn on your oven to the lowest setting, let it preheat, then turn it off (open the door if your lowest setting is relatively high). This makes your oven the perfect place to let your dough rise.

Shit I'll remember that

>Yeah I let it rise for about an hour. It rose, but not as much as it should have.

Generally you would let it rise for much longer than 1 hour, though that does depend on what kind of bread you are making.

Did you just buy the box mix or was it something that had been lying around your kitchen for ages?

I bought related

>tfw a Leaf

Your yeast was probably bad, or you used heavily chlorinated water.

>muh crumb
Eat shit, crumbfags. My bread tasted delicious.

>normie cant make bread
>comes crying to us
just use some more yeast, its what ferments and rises

I thought proofing was testing the yeast BEFORE you mix it in with the flour

Depends on who are you talking to. Some people use proofing to refer to when you "wake up" the yeast before adding it and some people use proofing to refer to the first rise.

>robin hood
you're fucked user rip in peace

Generally a proof is any step involving yeast activity.

I guess if you wanted to be concise you could call the last step before baking the "shaped proof" or "shaped rise".

I truly envy you, OP. To be a young scrub learning to bake his bread. Learning to proof and to knead, to mix grains, to convert a grill into a wood fired oven, to outdo even your own grandmother.

Go forth and buy bread no more.

Da fuq is bread and roll mix?
Is it cold in your house? The colder it is the longer it will take to rise.

Lot of retarded shit in this thread

for a start it's called "proving" not "Leaving it to proof"

you'll want to prove all of it at once, after it has risen knock it back and reprove it in the tin's or whatever you're going to bake it in, after reproving it make sure you don't treat it like an autistic fuck cos smacking it around will knock all the air out of it and you'll have to start over

if you want a nice texture steam it before cooking in the tins for about a third of the time that it will be cooked in the tins, if you steam it, after cooking it in the tins cook it outside of the tins until the crust forms

also don't use that shit out of a box, you're not a redditor

Shout out to you grams warm buttery loaves

Most bread recipes call for an envelope of yeast, so measure 2 1/4 teaspoons of yeast, don't assume the machine that fills the yeast packets is all that accurate.

Bloom the yeast in warm water, between 110 and 120F -- test it with a thermometer. Sprinkle in a tiny amount of sugar if you want your yeast to be happy.

A long, slow rise will produce better quality dough than a fast rise. Cut the yeast in half or more and let the dough rise in the refrigerator overnight once you get more experienced.

A scale is very useful for measuring flour.

for a start, it's called proofing not proving you retard
you're calling anons out when you don't even know the correct word. go choke on a dick

>I bought some bread and roll mix
First problem.

>followed the instructions to the tee
Second problem.

>I can't seem to make bread like my grandma and her mighty buttery loaves
That's because she made it herself, by hand, and didn't use half-dead yeast.

I just started bread baking, going pretty well except third try, the 2nd rise was more of a spreading of dough.
What're the best breads for salami sandwiches?

Italian-style freeform loaf with sesame seeds.

The recipes im finding seem really similar to the rustic French bread I was baking

be more gentle when scoring the bread and flour the knife, will look better

Sprinkled with flour or like covered?

Just place the knife in some flour before scoring the bread

also looks like you could have proved/kneaded it for longer
research "gluten window"