Using eating utensils

>be American
>raised with American style fork-and-knife technique
>this means fork with left hand, vertically down into meat, cut meat in front of fork, put knife down, move fork to right hand, fork the dissection, bring fork to mouth with prongs facing up
>realize I'm wasting way too much energy doing this, also being too loud with the clanging of my silverware on the plate
>learn that British people do everything backwards but have some good ideas, so I try to eat like them
>angle fork into food with left hand, cut with knife behind fork, so now food is already on fork, this makes sense
>bring food to mouth with prongs facing down, yes this is better
>suddenly try to eat a rice dish, have put food on back of fork and use knife to hold it down, willing to squish it if necessary
>this sucks
>turn fork over to take advantage of the scoop in the fork
>lack of left hand coordination means I can barely get food on the fork, let alone bring it to my mouth

Is the solution to just keep the fork always in the RIGHT hand, and learn how to cut with a knife with the LEFT?

How do Britfags eat food that doesn't have to be cut up? Do you hold spoons in your left hand too? What about soup? Why not just cut with your weaker hand, so your dominant hand can be the hand that actually guides the fork to your mouth? What about cake? Spaghetti? Why bother using the left so much?

Please help co/ck/fags, I can't eat until I know how to eat.

>How do Britfags eat food that doesn't have to be cut up? Do you hold spoons in your left hand too? What about soup? Why not just cut with your weaker hand, so your dominant hand can be the hand that actually guides the fork to your mouth? What about cake? Spaghetti? Why bother using the left so much?

I was raised in the British style. The only constant is that the fork is in the left hand and the knife is in the right. It's perfectly acceptable to turn your fork over to scoop things that you don't need to cut up. In fact, it would be silly to do it any other way.

I'm not sure why dominant vs weak hand even matters. You can learn to use either hand for any task; I'm right-handed but I have zero trouble using my fork in the left hand.

>soup
Spoon, left hand.

>why bother using the left so much
Why not? You have two hands, might as well learn to use them both.

autism in action

well, hopefully you'll die from undernutrition

But if you're naturally left-handed, would you use your fork in the right hand?

It just seems backwards to me. 80% of the time, I'm just using a single fork or single spoon or bring the cut food to my face. If I just cut with the left, then I get to use my stronger hand way more, without food falling off my form 1cm away from my lips.

>But if you're naturally left-handed, would you use your fork in the right hand?

Nope. handedness makes no difference.

% of the time, I'm just using a single fork or single spoon or bring the cut food to my face.
You're supposed to use the knife and fork together, not just the fork. Even with soft food that's possible to scoop with just the fork you use the knife to push the food onto the fork.

>>without food falling off....
That's just a matter of practice. You have little dexterity with your left hand because you're not used to using it. Practice using it and you will gain that dexterity, which is a fucking good thing. You've got the hand, might as well learn to use it.

I'm American and right handed, I cut with my right hand and hold the fork in my left but I keep it there when I bring it to my mouth because I am not such a spazz that I can't manage to put food in my mouth

I second this comment

>thinking an American won't just resort to eating with his hands

>mfw western culture

It's an etiquette thing. It involves being conversational at dinner.

If you have to hold your fork in your left hand in order to facilitate shoveling food in as quickly as possible, then you are probably on the same level as the europoors and other 3rd world people. Most likely accustomed to speaking while chewing as well.

Hold your fork in your left if you cut your food and then rest your knife on the plate and switch your fork to the right hand. Pause for a beat. Ask someone how their day was then eat.

I always assumed Veeky Forums Veeky Forums were a bunch of plate-lickers so no surprise here.

Explain how you eat a steak with those.

The chef cuts the steak up in the kitchen and serves it to you pre-cut.

No, really. They do eat steak in China, and that's how its done.

High earning Chinese people are westaboos, they consume more fine wine from America and Europe than Europeans and Americans do. They send out tens of thousands of buyers to hoard all the historic vintages. Sucks.

To add to this they eat with proper utensils, meaning fork/knife.

Yes, there's certainly that trend going on now. But that doesn't have anything to do with user's question about how one eats a steak with chopsticks.

When the chef cuts the steak, do you think he uses a knife and fork?

Why are Asians like little babies who need their food pre-cut for them?

>The chef cuts the steak up
What if you cook the steak yourself at home? You gotta call a chef to come over to your house to cut your steak up for you?

>When the chef cuts the steak, do you think he uses a knife and fork?

I have no idea, but I'm guessing a knife and his hand.

In Chinese culture knives were seen as rude to have in a social setting--the idea was that if you had a knife out that meant you intended to do harm to someone. Therefore they were kept in the kitchen only, and the food was all designed to be served without a knife being necessary. Since pretty much every other country in Asia copied Chinese culture to some extent you get the same thing happening in Japan, Korea, etc.

Then you would cut it up in the kitchen, plate it pre-cut, and eat it off the plate with your chopsticks.

But how did you cut it with chopsticks?

You wouldn't. You'd use pic related in the kitchen.

You are now aware that chopsticks only began to be used for eating food in the 3rd Century BC, as a way of eating food that was too hot to touch with the fingers.

Asians' number one eating utensil is hands, like the lowly tree monkeys they are. If they were ever lucky enough to have a whole cut of meat, they just held it in their hands and ate it like a bunless burger. Chopsticks were originally stirring sticks, like a whisk. Then someone figured they use them to pick up hot clumpy rice, when the rice was still too hot to be eaten by hand. Yes, Asians prefer to stick their saliva-coated fingers into rice, only one step above an anteater, and lick the rice off their fingers.

Chopsticks also cause cancer and arthritis, apart from generally being the single dumbest way of conveying food to your face. It's also expensive as fuck to have clear-cut forests just to make disposable chopsticks.

why do people still care about this? just use your fork and knife whatever way feels the most natural to you to minimise the chance of spilling/spattering food on yourself or others.

>If you have to hold your fork in your left hand in order to facilitate shoveling food in as quickly as possible, then you are probably on the same level as the europoors and other 3rd world people. Most likely accustomed to speaking while chewing as well.
not that user but I'm going to hold my fork in my left hand because I'm left-handed. you may not believe this but I do swallow my food before saying something.

I get that etiquette has value because we're trying to have a civilisation and stuff. I understand that using the fork in the wrong hand, using the wrong fork, etc. is technically not good table manners. talking with your mouth full and chewing with your mouth open are also not good table manners. but putting those two types of offenses on the same level baffles me.

>someone has to put their grimey, grubby hands all over your food while cutting it up, letting all the heat escape, so you can be served cold meat so you can use your little wooden sticks to pick it up, when it still has someone else's fingerprints all of it

I would assume the chef's hands would be clean, but then again you're clearly here to shitpost so I'm not sure what good it does to point that out.

>just use your fork and knife whatever way feels the most natural to you to minimise the chance of spilling/spattering food on yourself or others.

That's certainly my opinion. I was just answering another user's question.

I'm Aussie not British but we inherited the same table etiquette. Rice dishes, salads etc; are eaten only with a fork in the dominant hand, prongs up.

Would you think it would be a simpler way to eat by keeping the fork in your right hand at all times, and learning to use the knife with your left hand when you need to cut something?

Same user. You lost me a bit on the levels thing but anyway...

The idea is that you're not holding both utensils while talking to someone and pointing at people or gesturing with your fork like some bad mob movie.

bump

steak can be eaten with nothing but a plastic fork
fish must be eaten with hands

Most people, myself included are way too unco with the off hand

Here you go OP.

>Chopsticks also cause cancer and arthritis

>Asians prefer to stick their saliva-coated fingers into rice, only one step above an anteater, and lick the rice off their fingers.

You're a fucking retard

american here, i've always used my left hand to use the knife and right hand to use the fork because its just retarded to do it the amerifag way

i only realized there was a difference when i noticed that my dad and grandparents would switch and i didnt

overall its not difficult at all to use the knife with my non-dominant hand, altho i dont have any problems using it for anything really. i never understood how some people act like they're completely unable to use their non-dominant hands

I just brab the food with my hand and stuff the contents into my mouth.

>I understand that using the fork in the wrong hand, using the wrong fork, etc. is technically not good table manners

who the fuck cares? as long as you're holding them properly who even would notice that youre using one hand or the other? i personally think its bizarre to switch what hand your utensils are being held in

Well deserved. Man, I love this country but we're a bunch of uneducated fat retards sometimes

Well nobody can tell you how to eat man. Just eat how you want and like write a new etiquette book and get it accepted widely and you're no longer ignorant I guess?

I'm left handed and I use my knife in the left and fork on the right. Right handed people do the same but backwards ie knife on right, fork on left. And we don't switch hands

>I would assume the chef's hands would be clean

You realise we're talking about an Asian chef right?...

>It's perfectly acceptable to turn your fork over to scoop things that you don't need to cut up

No it isn't you uncouth okeb

The solution is to get fucking good.
You should have enough dexterity in your off-hand to use a fork.

>being right-handed untermensch

left handed masterrace here
>hold fork w/ left
>cut with right
>not retarded so able to use 箸 properly
ive had people comment on my use of a knife+fork like its some novel concept to use both at the same time instead of

>fork
>cut
>put down knife
>pick up fork with other hand
>eat
>pick up fork with other hand
>pick up knife
>repeat

why would you do this to yourself

German here, I (right handed) also eat with the knife in my right hand and the fork in the left, prongs up. I do cut in front of the fork, but that is more out of habit. Cutting behind it so you don't have to restab the cut-off morsel would certainly be more efficient.

That said, just keep on practicing with your left hand. I seriously can't imagine having to eat he American way, it would drive me crazy.

the only time anybody would legitimately care about any of this shit is old money people with way too much time on their hands
that rules out all of us, and none of us are about to get girlfriends with old money parents either, so why fucking worry about it
btw I'm a lefty, but I'm a weirdo that does everything right-handed except write. I switch utensils all over the fucking place. Never thought twice about it.

Wait, is this a bait? Are you really asking how to use a god damn fork? What are you, 3?

Right?!

Mfw savages eat with two sticks . I guess its a step above using your hands.

I hope this is bait

>this means fork with left hand, vertically down into meat, cut meat in front of fork, put knife down, move fork to right hand
i've always used my right for the fork & left for the knife

gotta roll with the punches streetmeat

looks like you got the hand of the devil

>peasant

I eat everything except noodles and steak right out of the pot I cooked it in with the big wooden spoon I used to stir it. come at me you pretentious shits.

Same. I can reverse hands if I want to as well. I'm an American. I don't think right-handed people are tards, but their subordinate hand isn't often challenged so they can have very underdeveloped manual dexterity. I remember as a left-handed child having difficulty with tools and manual tasks, but the general sentiment was that I needed to adapt. I did. As an adult I see that righties are usually handicapped from the coddling.

>australian
>fork stays in left hand
>knife stays in right hand

>fork in right if no knife required

how fucking hard is it to eat food properly you spastic

You can't "pause for a beat" with your fork in your left? You also mean to tell me that you are able to eat normally with your right but would have to haphazardly shovel with your left like an uncoordinated spazz?

Oh god forbid I break tradition and just use the fork with my right and not have to let go of it at any point.

If no one can give you a practical reason for doing things, why it makes sense, it just tradition and fuck it.

>properly.

My right always holds the spoon or fork.

If I need to cut something it's with my left.

I don't need to switch when handling a knife for propriety.

What so proper about inefficiency?

do americans really change hands every time they eat a forkful of hamburger? isn't it annoying?

there won't be any steak
your mystery meat will get hacked to death with machetes before cooking, no knives necessary

No. It's not very common now. I've only seen it in very rural areas. It was common 100 years ago though. I hear stories about how my great great grandfather still used a wide knife like a fork. As in antebellum/colonial era customs when people only used knives and spoons at the table.

Am I the only fat fuck in this thread who just cuts with the left and shovels it in with the right without putting down my utensils until I need a drink or I am finished?

>How do Britfags eat food that doesn't have to be cut up?
Either:
> Use fork in right hand
OR
> Use fork in left hand
> Use spoon in right hand as a surface to push against

>Why not? You have two hands, might as well learn to use them both.
This.

I've been Mercan all my life, and can only recall one person who actually took the time to switch the fork from one hand to the other for each bite. It probably was taught as a formal (pretentious) style of eating sixty years ago, but most people said "Fuck it!" long ago.

>eating eastern grains like a westerner

The Asians have perfected the system over thousands of years: bring entire bowl up to face and shovel rice directly into mouth

>bring entire bowl up to face and shovel rice directly into mouth

That's mostly because chop sticks are fucking useless when trying to pick up rice.

Use a spoon if it's too hard for you, white boi

Hidden handle grip for success and prosperity.