Why is it that every time I try to make hard candy, it burns to hell before even reaching 300°...

Why is it that every time I try to make hard candy, it burns to hell before even reaching 300°? I always follow the instructions, time it, and use a candy thermometer. Why does it do this?

Any tips on making candy?

Other urls found in this thread:

bakingwithaltitude.com/high-altitude-candy-making-tips/
myredditnudes.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

You are forgetting to alter your recipe depending on your altitude

You need more gentle heating probably. I'm guessing the bottom of the pan is a lot hotter than the sides. That or your thermometer is bad.

What does that mean?

Just tried the failed batch of peanut brittle, it hardened and shattered perfectly, but there's still that burnt aftertaste that almost ruins it

Are you using a double boiler?

7th grade science buddy. The boiling point of water changes depending on the altitude and can really affect cooking or baking. Starts affecting things at about 3,000 ft above sea level. I live at 5,800ft and have to adjust accordingly.

These guys are completely correct and I know very little about this subject.
I'm not even smart.

yea, you can use 2 bowls, 1 to boil water in and another to put inside the water bowl to heat your sugar in

I think it starts a lower, I'm at 1200ft and water boils faster than I have ever seen in my life.
1 Cup boils in 70-80 seconds, I usually have about 5 cups if water in and it takes 4 minutes to boil.

I'm shocked by this because I grew up in Baltimore where 5 cups took 10 minutes to boil.

Are you wetting the sides of the pot as the sugar cooks?

do you cool the syrup immediately to stop it from cooking further?

Yeah this is correct, higher up= less air pressure because there's less air above you. The less pressure, the easier it is for a chemical like water to decompress into a state of higher volume (gas).

However, this has no effect on temperature of candy, and definitely has no effect on what temperature something burns at.

It does, why do you think you double boil and reduce it? The steam coming off isn't some magic cloud. There is water in it

Even most recipes will tell you this. Here is a chart.
bakingwithaltitude.com/high-altitude-candy-making-tips/

How the fuck is a double boiler gonna get to 300 degrees?

oil

It's extremely dangerous and should not be attempted as you can easily burn yourself to death and or serious bodily injury with severe property damage.

this wont work for hard ball candy, it won't get hot enough.

Exactly. You would need oil instead of water.

My tips are
- use a thick bottomed pot,
-once the water boils off heat it very slowly
have a tray of water next to your stove, once it is one or two degC off the temp you want, pull it off and put the pot itself into the water to stop it cooking (please don't pour the contents into the water)
- if possible I find induction easier to use for this stuff than a gas hob.

also, try to go buy the colour, once it hits a few shades under what you want pull it off, perhaps there is something off with your themo.

If all this still fails, change white sugar brand, perhaps there is still some molasas left in the sugar and that would burn before the sugar sets up.

oh and a pastry brush with a little water to wash down the sides of the pot and stop it burning.
never in my 8 years of being a chef have I ever seen anyone stupid enough to do this. And I see stupid shit daily.

As somebody who splashed searing hot oil all over his face once this sounds like a great idea.

>never in my 8 years of being a chef
You're only a chef, not a pro candy maker. That's not even that dangerous relative to some of the alcohol related accidents.