What types of bread and cheese should I pick for a midday snack?

What types of bread and cheese should I pick for a midday snack?

My bread and cheese knowledge is lacking and it seems like such a staple to everyday food.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ploughman's_lunch?wprov=sfla1
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I don't know a damn thing about cheese, but there's nothing stopping me from buying a completely random hunk of cheese at the store, for better or worse
I suggest you do the same

Don't you think eating a small hunk of cheese with fresh bread some tea sound delicious for a snack?

You've gotta try a bunch of different kinds of cheese and decide which kinds you like. Personally, I hate stinky cheeses of all kids, but I love a sharp cheddar or creamy brie. It all depends on your personal tastes.

I want something relatively tame, but compliments a piece of bread and is light on the stomach, but still satisfying as well.

Again, it all depends on your personal tastes. Start off with something like a medium sharp cheddar and see if you like that.

A midday snack not at home?
You need a hard paste cheese
Easier to transport
You should try some gouda or a good comté

Ploughman's Lunch

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ploughman's_lunch?wprov=sfla1

for my taste, brie suits all of those except "satisfying". Then again, I've only ever had American brie.

I eat a lot of bread and cheese plates.

If you stick to a region, you can't go too wrong. Crusty bread, cheese, cured meat, something acidic.

Spain: Iberico Ham, Aged Manchego, a rustic crusty roll, pickled peppers

Italy: Salami, Young Reggianno, Ciabatta or focaccia, tomatoes with balsamic and evil.

England: Roast beef, Stilton, crusty roll, pickled onion, mustard.

And so on.

Stale toast and head cheese

German: Bratwurst or Liverwurst, Butterkase, Sauerkraut, mustard

France: brie (or Roquefort), baguette, vino, sardine

I could do this all day.

What kind of cheese is used in a Ploughman's Lunch?

Lots of choices.

Stilton is the tits, but needs to stay coldish. So not good for hot day picnic unless you like it real funky.
Cheddar
Cotswold
Red Leicester
Double Gloucester
Wensleydale

Those are the big players, I think. Probably missed a few.

It's basically whatever you've got leftover in your cupboard if you lived in rural English farmland 100 years ago.

A good jar of pickle is nice (basically pickled veg with either beef flavor or mustard).

Fresly baked bread with butter and coffee may be a better alternative.

Just choose something that looks interesting.
If you think it might be something you want to get into the most important thing to do is to keep a food journal.
Write down your thoughts and preferences on what you are tasting. Remembering the subtleties of dozens of different products off the top of your head is impossible without A LOT of experience.

>any cheese
>any cracker

camembert is better than brie

I got sick of camembert in Japan. It's one of the few cheeses in grocery stores and restaurants there. Good cheese is a nightmare to find in Animestan, which is weird since the milk and butter are phenomenal.

Brie is pretty innocuous, camembert is a bit bolder which I personally do prefer, overexposure notwithstanding. Either is nice baked in phyllo. But gimme a stinky blue or green (gorgonzola, Roquefort, stilton) any day.

A great starter cheese is Cave Aged Gruyere. Most fancy grocery stores will have in their cheese counter. Done right, it's complex but not overpowering. Nutty and creamy. I like it when it's aged just to when you get little tiny pops of crystallization as you chew. Kinda like salt on a pretzel.

It slices for burgers and sammiches.
It cubes for snacking.
It shaves for pasta or salad (older is better here).
It melts for potatoes or au gratin (younger is better).

there's enough variation to play around with in the kitchen.

American on wonder bread

Camembert is brie you pleb, in 250g (or something like that) portions produced in the east of the country.

Not quite. brie is camembert with cream added. Its smoother and milder consequently.

Get yourself a nice crusty baguette, some salted butter, and a small tub of Phildelphia cream cheese.
This is all you need friends.

I love Morbier, very mild taste. Brie, Camembert, Gouda, sharp Cheddar and soft sheep cheeses are goat too.

Thanks for the replies, guys. Going to the grocery store now.

Stop eating cheese.