Do you like horse meat?

Do you like horse meat?

Never had it, but wouldnt be against trying it.

I've heard it can be a bit tough, but i'm sure if prepared properly it's fine.

I've only had it once, in France. I really liked it. Alas the only way to get it in my country is on the black market.

>I've heard it can be a bit tough, but i'm sure if prepared properly it's fine.
That's no different than any other meat. Beef or chicken can be tough if improperly prepared.

It's illegal to sell in the US and if you slaughtered a horse and ate it, you would be prosecuted for animal abuse.

>if you slaughtered a horse and ate it, you would be prosecuted for animal abuse.
No you wouldn't.

I've only had it salted/cured
Delicious stuff

No, the violation would be for selling meat that was not FDA inspected. There's nothing illegal about the sale of horse meat in general in the US. However:
1) there are no licensed slaughterhouses that can legally process horse
2) it is illegal to transport horses across state lines for slaughter (which is redundant given #1).

And it's a real problem. The lack of legal horse slaughter has given birth to a black market for horsemeat where criminals will literally break into someone's stable, kill horses, and pack out the meat. Furthermore, it's created an increase in abandonment problems. It used to be that if someone had a horse they couldn't afford to care for anymore or was too old to be an effective working horse they'd send it to be slaughtered. With that option removed people are simply abandoning old/unwanted horses and leaving them to starve or die from disease.

>people are simply abandoning old/unwanted horses and leaving them to starve or die from disease.
What the fuck, can't they at least shoot it in the head?

delicious eat it every few weeks as steak with bearnaise sauce and some fried potato

nope, would be prosecuted for animal abuse as well.

ty gringo loopholes.

I'm not sure about the legality of that. I know in some places it would be considered animal cruelty to kill a pet or working animal, even if it was done humanely. I don't know if that's federal, state, or local law. Even if it was technically illegal I doubt anyone would get caught, and I'm sure that some people do indeed simply kill unwanted horses.

But that being said, the fact remains that some people simply don't do that, and instead neglect the animal. I agree it doesn't make any sense, but the facts are pretty clear.

>Do you like horse meat?
NAY

it's alright. wish more places would serve it though, would like to try it in other ways.

>given birth to a black market for horsemeat
>in the US

Bullshit. I've never heard of any such thing, nor have I ever heard any one unironically say they really want to try horsemeat. Americans generally view horses the same as dogs and cats, as a taboo meat.

Dunno, might be a underground thing like with the Japanese and dog meat.

>Bullshit. I've never heard of any such thing

Just because you're ignorant of it doesn't mean it isn't a very real problem.

Google "horse slaughter in florida" You will find countless examples.

>> Americans generally view horses the same as dogs and cats, as a taboo meat.

That's exactly right. The customers are mainly from south and central America, where Horsemeat is a big thing. Immigrants from those places can't buy horsemeat legally, so they buy it illegally instead.

I used to live in Sicily for a couple of years and had the opportunity to try it over ten years ago.

I can say it's the tastiest meat I've ever eaten and I still get cravings for it every now and again

I have eaten sashimi of horse meat. It tasted pretty good.

I have heard that before. A fellow member on my motorcycle forum once remarked that the easiest way to get a horse in some parts of the US was to drive to some horse show with an empty trailer and walk away. In the evening you would find a horse in your trailer that someone had put in there.

keck

Americans are pretty stupid.

Nobody is eating dog in Japan. Are you confused and thinking of dolphin?

Lmao are you serious

there is a sizable population of ethnic koreans living in japan. who are japanese citizens.

Horse is like a really lean beef, with the tiniest gamey tang.
Kind of like homeopathic venison. Not bad.

I've only had it once, and probably won't do so again b/c I felt guilty as fuck eating it.
Horses are friends, not food.
Same in UK as in US - Horses were always considered somewhere between working companions and pets, and no-one wants to violate that.

A few years ago there was a massive shitstorm here about food companies allegedly using horse meat in thier products. (By mistake, honest.)
Boycotts all over, and people losing thier shit b/c they ~might~ have eaten a pony.