Red vs. Green

Alright Veeky Forums, it's my first time posting here and I want to see what you guys think about this so I know if I should take you seriously or not.

Red chile or green chile? Let the debate begin.

Doesn't matter.

Small ones are go

The difference is simply aesthetic. For example, it improves the look of a guacamole by havingthe contrast of the bit of red from a red pepper as opposed to green since the avocado is green. The heat level will be the same.

Having said that, some varieties like bell pepper seem to become sweeter in the red stage.

>So I know if I should take you seriously or not.
What did he mean by this?

Green chillies are typically milder and sweeter, whereas red are usually hotter. It comes down to what you want them for. Something like a Thai green curry or seafood sauce which uses chilli as a main flavour component is better when its made with green rather than red. Dried red chillies, either ground, flaked or simmered whole add backbone spice and contribute towards the overall flavour.

Bell peppers tend to taste like grass when green and turn sweeter when red I have also noticed, but I don't really like normal peppers so no further comment on that.

Also I've just woken up so my response might be a bit shitty haha.

Veeky Forums couldn't even taste the difference between red and green chilies.
Didn't know what I expected.

Well, there's no 'correct' answer and clearly people have different palates and whatnot, but here's a guide for the uninitiated.

Red

>Hot dogs (See: DogHouse)
>Beef enchiladas
>Machaca
>Pork
>Cheese fries

Green

>Chicken enchiladas
>Any kind of stew/soup
>Chicken and rice
>Pizza

This list is objectively true and completely inarguable by anyone familiar with New Mexican cuisine. Additionally, I'm not sure where this 'Red is hotter' shit came from. It varies from establishment to establishment, but I'd estimate than in anywhere from 60-70% of restaurants in the 505, green is hotter.

You clearly seem to not know what you're talking about. We're discussing what tastes better, not what looks prettier.

Magnificent

Read much? My point was clearly that in terms of flavor, except in the case of bell pepper, there is no difference. Use is determined by the aesthetic you wish to achieve.

Another user said red is hotter and that's complete bullshit. If anything, that's purely psychological.

>aesthetic
That word again.

I just use fresh jalapeno for everything because I think it's the best tasting chili, also one of the cheaper ones.

>My point was clearly that in terms of flavor, except in the case of bell pepper, there is no difference.
Unrefined taste buds.

Ahhh, did babby have to look up a word? How charming.

There are very distinct obvious differences between the taste of red and green chile. It would seem you haven't had enough of either if you can't discern a difference save 'aesthetics'.

It's not so much your fault. When I go to a Chinese buffet, there may be 4 or 5 chicken dishes that to me, who rarely dines on Chinese food, tastes essentially the same. I realize this is probably blasphemy to connoisseurs of Chinese food, so I keep my uninformed opinions to myself. You might benefit from the same discretion, unless you just have a peculiar fetish for being rightly perceived as ignorant.

I was referring to people misusing it.
I'm guessing it's a weeb thing?

Look, I grow jalepenos, cayenne, tabasco, bell, poblanos and cherry peppers. I've sampled them in both the green and red stage straight, and except for the bell and possibly the cherry, they taste the same. The texture of the jalepeno, cayenne and tabasco become softer in the red stage and that's it.

I see you douchebags saying I'm wrong and have plebe tastebuds, but haven't seen a single one of you other than myself describe a difference. I at least described a difference I detected in the bell. Put up or shut up, faggot.

Home grown are apparently hotter but I live in northern England and don't have a greenhouse so I don't have much personal experience in regards to that to contribute.

Generally speaking red chillies are hotter because they are fully ripe. Green chillies are picked unripe and therefore are milder, like how limes are deliberately picked unripe and are used as a souring agent, but when fully ripe most turn yellow and are much sweeter.

Now obviously a green naga or Carolina reaper is going to be hotter than a red jalepeno but in terms of "normal" chillies, (that is to say those that were not bred with the sole intent of being very hot) there is a clear difference in heat level between the two colours.

it only matters if you're talking about bell peppers, and in that case green is awful and red, yellow or orange is much better

for my salsa i usually use serranos because i like their heat and flavor

Why so aggressive? Have you sought help from a shrink?

Finally, someone at least attempting to explain a difference instead of just screaming about my sense of taste.

I used to think that should be the case, that red were hotter than the green of the same variety. But in my experience of tasting both from the same plant (red and green are on the plant at the same time), I have not noticed that. They both seem to have equal levels of heat and taste the same.

Isn't it possible it's just the case for your particular plant?
They taste different enough for me, as in I can differentiate them blind.

>differentiate blind

Are you sure that's not texture? The red version is most certainly softer and not as crispy.

>in terms of flavor, except in the case of bell pepper, there is no difference.
But that's dead wrong. Eat a green jalapeno and then a ripe one and tell me that they tasted the same. You can't.

There are a lot of species of chilli.

I'm actually the same guy that you said was bullshitting earlier haha.

Hmm, well, do you not think that might be down to personal taste? Honestly I think that they have a point.

I eat a lot of chilli (just today I made fried rice with five pounded green birds eye chillies, two tablespoons of nam prik pao and a teaspoon of red curry paste) and what I consider mild is often quite hot according to other people. I don't think I've had any problems with eating store bought sauces, (authentic imported Indian, Thai etc. products, not the westernised shite) and when following a recipe I usually add more by default because when I don't I'm often underwhelmed by it, as an example.

If you are regularly growing your own you may have become accustomed to a certain taste and whatnot, as I'd imagine that your crop is fairly consistent. Plus the stage at which they are picked will have an effect on the heat.

I suppose it could just be a personal thing? Not to brag or sound like a snobby cunt but I'm very good at picking out the different flavours and aromas in wine and tea so that be related in somewhere.

Basically it's probably dependent on a number of variables so honestly I'm not sure what I'm trying to say. I lost my train of thought about halfway through this...

>tell me they are the same

I have already done so in this thread nignog. Now, you explain to me the difference since only one poster, a britbong no less, attempted that.

You fucker. I have a feeling if I met you in a pub, I would become friends with you (not in a sexual way of course).

Well that's either nice or creepy, but unusually it's not me being the creepy fuckwit, so I'll take it.

green ones have a bitter vegetal taste and typically a more floral element. red ones are just earthy and faintly sweet.

Even if they actually taste the same, colors affect taste. Orange yolks taste better for example. You're the weird one.