Are audiobooks the future of literature?

Are audiobooks the future of literature?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=BcNLEwf2pOw
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

no

Yes, to be honest. Given the omnipresence of smartphones listening to music, podcasts and audiobooks on the go is more popular than ever. It's way more convenient than staring at a page while you're travelling.

it's the equivalent to having to put all of your food in the blender before eating.

Damn son where are you getting your research. everyone knows audio books peaked with radio broadcasts of H.G. wells war of the world's and what not.

>literature
>any kind of future
kek

Brilliant.

vidya can be lit

You have to go back.

maybe for self help books.

No, next question

this

we're heading for a dark age, at least we're not burning books

Why don't you have a gf?

>at least we're not burning books
It's worse: We don't need to.

I'm too numb to be romantically interested in women

What's the issue with film replacing books? Aside from the average person's vocabulary dropping.

Individuals can write books but can not make films.

Films need budgets and group efforts. They are by their very nature more conformist and conventional.

Although with cheaper tech and the internet that is getting better.

This
You get the plot and the ideas but you miss on the feeling of being trapped in the world you are reading and on the prose of the author and all the subtelties that you catch only when you read.

ah yes, I'm ashamed that didn't come to me

>replacing books
people will stop thinking well, films and shitty comics can't possibly replace or even replicate Don Quixote or Dickens

they just can't replace pure literature

>Aside from the average person's vocabulary dropping
>Aside from
you use words to fucking THINK complexly about stuff

thats what fucking separates us from animals

geez wheez
words
like get over yourself its just the average person's vocabulary that will be dropping geez

I've tried to listen to a few audiobooks at various times. I find when I'm working out, I concentrate too much on the book and don't get a good workout in.

On rare occasion, my work requires me to do extremely mind-numbing tasks, like when we are aligning a large, several thousand pound experiment to an accelerator and all I'm charged with is slowly turning nuts and bolts to adjust the feet of the experiment one at a time until it's the right height, but I still find audiobooks to be a waste of time. Usually I'll get so frustrated at how slow the reading is that I bump up the speed (and I'm not a fast reader by any means), but even then, I've never successfully completed a book on audio. I'll always get too frustrated and finish reading it with a real book.

The one exception was Beowulf, when I listened to Heaney reading it on youtube. That one worked because his translation captured what I imagine the original feel of the poem is. It was, after all, originally an oral tradition that was later written down.

I suppose if I had a long commute in a car, I could relate more, but I really just don't understand how any serious reader could ever think an audiobook to be even remotely acceptable. It reminds me of David Lynch's feelings about watching a film on an iphone.

it´s quite rad senpai

which game is this?

Looks like Skyrim, the Elder Scrolls. Great game, great soundtrack.

I like audiobooks, but have an irritating habit of falling asleep after about an hour if that's all I'm doing.

They're great if I'm doing something with my hands, like crochet or painting, and I don't feel like listening to music or putting a movie on in the background.

Eyeproblembro here, Audiobooks are really the only way I can read right now.
Most of the time I'm only listening to the book, or doing something that requires little concentration.
I don't think I loose very much by listening over reading. It's just different. Some books I would say are better if they have a good narrarator.
The only thing I really dislike about it is how slow it can feel sometimes.

Disregarding audiobooks like this is stupid. You need to look at them as a whole different medium. They have different strengths and weaknesses than reading. There are different times and places where they excel over reading. I get it if it's not your thing, but to act like reading is somehow "better" is stupid. It's a totally different experience. You might as well say reading is somehow "better" than a movie or music. And I know some plebs here think precisely that. They're stupid.

I like audiobooks. I listen to them at work and when I drive home.
Going thru the Discworld series at the moment.

>reading is somehow "better" than a movie or music.

it's like reading the lyrics only for a piece of music, so to say. for me, it's that I capture so much more while actually reading it than listening. it's like the teacher reading the book to the class rather than me doing it for myself, it's a more personal experience.

Considering that the overwhelming majority of books were meant to be read rather than heard, I must disagree. It IS better to read a book than to listen to it.

If you want to listen to a Tom Clancy explod-a-thon on your daily commute, then go for it. I stated in that I can see the value of audiobooks in certain 'times and places' as you say, but the unspoken addendum to this is that those times and places are detrimental to your comprehension of a text.

Also note . That a reader can consider it acceptable to be forced to semi-focus on something else shows exactly why is right. The only way to savour the subtleties of a text in an audiobook is to constantly rewind.

I'll read the occasional action or sci-fi thriller book (~1% of my reading, I'd estimate), but why you would want to make a regular habit of reading books that don't deserve your full attention is something I will never understand.

In the spirit of fairness, I would say that even with my mild distaste for certain genres, I do wish I was able to enjoy a good sci-fi like I used to. I tried to read Seveneves a few weeks ago, as I'm something of a science geek as you might have inferred from my previous post, but I so detested the writing that I was unable to get past the first few chapters. Perhaps if I had been listening to an audio adaptation on an daily hour-long commute, I might have found it more palatable. Audiobooks are not useless, but they are a joke when you're reading books of quality.

Also:
youtube.com/watch?v=BcNLEwf2pOw

I listen to audiobooks everyday at work.
It's great, I'm a forklift driver so that doesn't really require thinking at all.
It's really good for listening trough books you wouldn't have the patience or time to read otherwise.

Some books doesn't fit very well with the format though, I tried Gravitys Rainbow because it was meme'd around here, but I had a real hard time following what was going on, chapters about negroshit in a guys nose and such confused me to be honest.

Well, I don't know about you, but I can't listen to my books at the same speed I read them.
I really think there will be more and more books written to be audiobooks, but that will not be the future of literature.