Rate.

Other urls found in this thread:

amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/mythbusting_the_smoke_ring.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Fuck you
I'm hungry :(

i don't know m8
can you pull a bone out?

I'm no expert on ribs but aren't they a little well done?

How do they taste OP?

Yes. Did the bend test, it's actually a little overdone. Should have taken it out maybe a half hour before.

That's the bark, which is a little darker at the ends (it looks black in the picture, but isn't. It's a very deep amber.)

>how do they taste

I'm letting them rest right now. Will cut them in another 10 minutes to show the smoke ring.

Thanks for clarifying bro.

Letting it rest? Why, did the ribs have a hard day at work hyuck hyuck!

Can't wait to see how it looks inside. BTW your sauce, homemade or brand?

This is my first time smoking, so I used prefabricated sauce and rub.

Not being a hater, but honestly those look overly rubbed and/or sauced. Ribs are delicious when cooked properly but all it really needs is to be done correctly with a little SP and SOS.

They don't look terrible, but I'd probably shred them and turn them into sandwiches.

Foiled mine a bit long and got mushy.

OP here, smoke ring isn't like in the competitions... what did I do Wrong?

Don't mind the haters those ribs look damn good. You've got a great bark, the meat looks moist, not dry at all. Don't worry about "le smoke ring." If you applied smoke for 2-3 hours, that's sufficient. The next step should be to make your own rub. There's a lot of websites that can give you ideas, but don't over complicate it. Salt and brown sugar as a base and a few adjunct spices. I've reduced it to the point where I only add in cayenne pepper, paprika and garlic powder. Overloading spices detracts imho.

Daaaaaamn that looks moist, 10/10 would dig right in and kiss OP

No Homo

I agree with these other two dudes, those ribs look fire.

To accentuate the smoke ring, put the ribs on the smoker cold, with the smoker holding no higher than 235*. Your rub must have plenty of salt. Also the smoke coming out of your smoker should be thin and blue, not white or cloudy. This is indicative of the conditions necessary for carbon monoxide fixation in the myoglobin- producing the red color.

>Or, you can cheat and use a sodium nitrate rub
Keep in mind that the smoke ring is purely aesthetic and does not affect flavor. That's why in some competitions the judges don't score based on the presence of a smoke ring.

How did I do my first time smoking Veeky Forums?

The bird looks a little rough, but don't worry, smoking poultry is difficult to get right.

Update: the ribs were great. Although the 2nd one had a very pronounced charcoal flavor compared to the first. They were both placed in the smoker at the same time. What gives?

This guy knows Lower cook temp and moisture in the cooking chamber help.

Personally i like to do ribs at higher temp 275F for 3 hrs then wrap for 1.5 then finish for 1.5 without wrapping.

Smoke ring does not equal flavor.

What set up do you use? Cooker? Temp/Time? Wood?

Here is mine from a couple weeks ago?

The bark is a work of art. I'm going go get this picture framed and hang it over my desk.

I don't have any advice regarding the smoke ring or charcoal flavor of the second rack, but they look tasty as fuck. Just let me get 15 minutes alone with one of them racks...

Are you using an offset smoker? One must have been closer to the heat source than the other.

Try rotating after an hour or two. Alternatively, you can place an aluminum pan of water directly on the rack between the firebox and the meat. It will sink up some of the excess radiant heat and keep the char down. Plus it'll keep your cooking area moist.

amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/mythbusting_the_smoke_ring.html

>Namefag: Token Nigga on /pol/
>Claims to be black
>Isn't an expert on ribs
Quit bullshitting with us.

0/10 try again

Not the same ribs but prepared the same a couple weeks apart. First was before glaze, second is after.

Over done and it looks like you basted them in BBQ sauce throughout the cooking. Use a mop sauce throughout the cooking next time and finish with BBQ sauce. Also pull them off when the meat just starts to pull back on the bones.

That said, I'd still eat them with a beer and a blunt on a sunny day.

>over done

Partially correct, but not based on the appearance, so you are wrong.

>basted them in bbq sauce

You don't know what you're talking about

>use a mop sauce throughout

"If you lookin', you ain't cookin'." Stop opening up your smoker, faggot

>pot smoker

Homo.

Something got charred. Just thought bbq sauce without looking close enough to realize it's too much rub.

You can also tell by appearance. If the meat has pulled back that far up the bone on the short end, they're over done.

There is nothing charred. See It's the lighting, you fucking cake boy.

google says its shit

kek

>soap

>far right image in top row

>2017
>he still isn't eating dry rub

are you high?

Any tips on how to improve?

Definitely start by brining your bird. A simple brine of ice water, salt, brown sugar, black peppercorns is great. You can get really crazy with the spices, but the goal here is to increase the amount of water in the bird. Look up some guides on how to brine chicken/turkey to get started. This will keep the bird from drying out as quickly.

Generally, you want to smoke the bird at a higher temperature than pork (I do mine at 275) for safety reasons, which requires special care to keep it from burning. If you're running an offset smoker, put the bird as far away from the heat source as possible and be sure to rotate it 180* halfway through the cook for even coverage.

Spatchcocking the bird speeds up cooking time, enhances smoke penetration and keeps skin from sticking to the cooking surface. All you do is cut the spine out with a pair of scissors and crack the breastbone, then lay the chicken out flat. Everyone should do this.

Don't use any kind of oil or butter under the skin of the bird. This is great for roasting in an oven, but creates a terrible soot in a smoke environment. Instead, rub salt and herbs/garlic under the skin. Don't use any sugars in your poultry rub. They promote blackening at the higher temperatures.

Smoke the bird to 165F in the thigh and not a degree over.

Hope some of this helps.

Thanks mate. I had brined it with water, salt and brown sugar over night but didn't do any of your other tips. I use an h2o smoker (meat over a pot of water which is over the heat source), so it was cooking with the pork. I had placed the chicken under the pork so it was closer to the heat so I'll probably switch it up next time. My main problem was temperature. My smoker has a shitty, old thermometer that only has three areas, cool/ideal/hot so I'm definitely going to replace that next. Ended up having to finish it up in the oven for about 30 minutes at 250.

All in all the chicken actually the best part. Extremely moist and tasty, while the pork butt was a little dry.

Thanks again for the tips

No problem. You might consider getting two probe thermometers. One to place inside the smoker at the same height as the chicken. Leave the other one in the thigh, and route the wires out of the upper vent so that the door doesn't leak. That way you'll have a better reading of the chamber temp, and won't have to open the door to check the bird.

Pork is a whole different ball game. You want sub-250F temperature for 1.5 hours per pound. Target internal temperature is 195F. Wrap it in foil when it hits 170 and it won't dry out on you.

How long did you cook the pork butt?

It was a week ago so I'm not entirely sure but I'm guessing about 7.5 hours for a 7.5 lb butt but it was in the oven at 250 with the chicken for 30 minutes.
Nice trips too
A probe thermometer is on my Christmas list but I'll probably end up buying one before then Since it seems like an investment that will easily pay itself off. Should I stick with an h2o smoker or move on? When I went to a hardware store this week they had a dimple bullet smoker on sale for $59 so I wouldn't have to deal with the water part

Oops my math was off the butt was in for 8.5 hours before spending 30 minutes in the oven

>parents try to smoke poultry in the green egg they bought
>always comes out rubbery as fuck

absolutely disgusting

>burnt/1
Good Job. You managed to ruin the easiest meat to cook ever.

The butt was probably not cooked long enough. Its ready when piercing it with a probe feels like a hot knife through butter. Internal temperatue would be 198-205.

W H E R E I S T H E S A U C E

>using beef ribs over pork ribs

laughing my ass off family

>wet ribs

Yankee detected

Good?

Those look awfully bad

kek

Perfectly cooked, seasoned looks like shit.

DRY RUB IS BETTER THAN SAUCE

>rub

I hope you realize that everyone that you know and love is constantly laughing at you behind your back.

das rite

Tried with a dry finishing rub recently on some loin ribs. Not bad desu.

>autism

Sauce is what you slather on ribs to try (and fail) to cover up the fact that you don't know how to smoke ribs

>rub

Keep telling yourself that. The rest of the world is going to continue to laugh at you and not take you seriously.

What kind of fucking rub is yellow, for Christ's sake?

It's obvious its the lighting.. but salt with paprika, mustard, and cumin would make it orangeish

Probably just the directly lighting. It was more orange. Onion, garlic and mustard powder would have contributed to a yellowish hue. Paprika and cayenne make up the bulk of it. Recipe was concocted from different sources I could find on Memphis dry rub.

A lot of rubs that use mustard powers, tumeric and such.

Here's my pork ribs from dinner I made tonight. Op's look good

Derp, a little too much whiskey lol

>untrimmed asparagus

It's about the rub.... Yellow mustard then cover in your best rub. If you care about even cook use spare ribs not baby back. Smoke dem ribs 250 with apple or peach wood about 3hrs +- half hour. Some clover honey and dark brown sugar in foil for hour. Unwrap and finish on 225 heat. Enjoy.
If you want sauce on your plate, cool. If you want to "mop" or "slather" during process, hold brush in anus while performing said action verb. Either way you can't lose.

I used to do the 3-2-1 cheat with foil, but I felt like the ribs ended up too mushy. I just start mopping every 30 minutes after 3 hours of smoking and I like it a lot better.

I eat it all guy. Leave nothing behind