So what do you think about Jordan Petersons "books every student should read" list?

So what do you think about Jordan Petersons "books every student should read" list?

1. Brave New World – Aldous Huxley
2. 1984 – George Orwell
3. Road To Wigan Pier – George Orwell
4. Crime And Punishment – Fyodor Dostoevsky
5. Demons – Fyodor Dostoevsky
6. Beyond Good And Evil – Friedrich Nietzsche
7. Ordinary Men – Christopher Browning
8. The Painted Bird – Jerzy Kosinski
9. The Rape of Nanking – Iris Chang
10. Gulag Archipelago (Vol. 1, Vol. 2, & Vol. 3) – Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
11. Man’s Search for Meaning – Viktor Frankl
12. Modern Man in Search of A Soul – Carl Jung
13. A History of Religious Ideas (Vol. 1, Vol. 2, Vol. 3) – Mircea Eliade

jordanbpeterson.com/2016/11/book-list/

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/user/JordanPetersonVideos/playlists
jordanbpeterson.com/2016/11/maps-of-meaning-intro/
youtu.be/MCOw0eJ84d8
youtu.be/68NHUV5me7Q
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I've read half of them and I'd say it is a good list, especially in the context of the problems we currently face.

Only read three of them (1984, Brave New World, Crime and Punishment), but i'd see why "every student should read them" ; they confort you (especially when you're a young studentfag), in a weird kind of way... But again, only read three of them. And from what i've heard of, Gulag Archipelago isn't any good (I either met rightyfags who went full "hurr durr muh gulag" or leftyfag calling it "imperialist propaganda")

not a good cross section, way too much repeat material.
like through some walt whitman or some other american literature in there somewhere

Kosinski, this traitorous fraud?

>(I either met rightyfags who went full "hurr durr muh gulag" or leftyfag calling it "imperialist propaganda")
>Taking the opinions of ideologues seriously

Well, according to him Gulag Archipelago "was instrumental in bringing down the Soviet Union" or something like that (paraphrasing).

>inb4 /leftypol/ hijacks this thread because it insults comrade Stalin

don't know about that work in particular but solzhenitzsyn's work in it entirety was low key banned from here and still is.

Solzhenitsyn is one of the msot important Russian writers of the 20th c., dumbass

The list is just for people interested in the philosophies he holds to be true. It's not for people who just want a grounding in the history of literature and/or philosophy.

Okay.
Sooo, is Gulag Archipelago any good ?

It's missing Augustine's Confessions.

no piaget either, that's weird. he namedrops him fairly often

anyways its a cool list

how much does the CIA pay you to shill this?

the only reason anyone should read carl fucking jung is as a cautionary tale or as a case study on a course on how to spot utter fucknuttery

pic unrelated

It had nothing to do with it.

It's semi-decent fiction and abominable if taken as non-fiction.

>Hurr durr, thought police, I'm so edgy and smart, kids don't read these fucking world famous and super obvious picks,

Are you serious?

I wish he didn't list Nietzsche because I don't want to see something good posted alongside liberal anti-communism.

You guys are desperate for idols. He's famous for refusing to call students by the pronouns they request. What a luminary.

As to his list: half of it is a good high school assigned reading the other half is what you might read in some basic psychology or English courses. Not much to comment on desu.

This. It's pretty pathetic.

>He's famous for refusing to call students by the pronouns they request.
As he should be. Fuck your pronouns.

Agreed, it doesn't even have like Finnegans Wake or A Thousand Plateaus. What a load of bollocks.

Why do people like this guy again? I get that he called out political correctness but that's low hanging fruit. He just sounds like an old-fashioned Cold War liberal and his reading list reflects this.

it's not his fault he lives in degenerate times. that's the whole point. there are no more fucking basic psychology or English courses because of the SJW cancer that is trying to ruin his life

>not much to comment on
ridiculous

He's got a lot of interesting lectures on youtube if you want to learn about Jung

youtube.com/user/JordanPetersonVideos/playlists

Sure it does,it isn't meant for a specified field actually,but rather for students in general,a easy to get in, accessible list more like.

He didn't mentioned Piaget for the same reason,also he once said that the english translations of piaget's were shit.

Wasn't there something by Tolstoy on the list?

Why do you care so much? It's a non issue.

>muh degeneracy
>there are no more fucking basic psychology or English courses because of the SJW cancer that is trying to ruin his life
Absolute nonsense. I was assigned or suggested half of these books in high school.

You people blow the whole trigger warning and gay shit out of proportion. I had a humanities professor that was a total faggot, not subdued about talking about taking it in the ass at all, and he assigned us readings from The Greeks (Plato and Aristotle) and Nietzsche. In my English classes we read modern American authors and Greek tragedians, we read The Illiad in the 6th grade and acted out parts in front of the class. I'm sorry you got a shitty education but your fear mongering, and that by most of the media, is unwarranted.

That was a different list: jordanbpeterson.com/2016/11/maps-of-meaning-intro/

>Why do you care so much? It's a non issue.
Not when people are forced to use them by law.

That's an extremely misleading reduction. Do you know WHY it is he refuses to participate in today's political correctness? The reason is plenty impressive and steeped deep in intellectual literary tradition. He is someone who genuinely bridges the works of Nietzsche and the modern landscape, that's worth exploring.

I can spot the Zizeks

Much better list desu

Can't do without my boy Tolstoy

hiya Milo

Georgist scum. Worse than communists, at least they push for revolution.

I actually hat ehim just as much as the SJWs

I don’t think women were discriminated against, I think that’s an appalling argument. First of all, do you know how much money people lived on in 1885 in 2010 dollars? One dollar a day. The first thing we’ll establish is that life sucked for everyone. You didn’t live very long. If you were female you were pregnant almost all the time, and you were worn out and half dead by the time you were 45. Men worked under abysmal conditions that we can’t even imagine. When George Orwell wrote The Road to Wigan Pier, the coal miners he studied walked to work for two miles underground hunched over before they started their shift. Then they walked back. [Orwell] said he couldn’t walk 200 yards in one of those tunnels without cramping up so bad he couldn’t even stand up. Those guys were toothless by 25, and done by 45. Life before the 20th century for most people was brutal beyond comparison. The idea that women were an oppressed minority under those conditions is insane. People worked 16 hours a day hand to mouth. My grandmother was a farmer’s wife in Saskatchewan. She showed me a picture of the firewood she chopped before winter. They lived in a log cabin that was not quite as big as the first floor of this house. And the woodpile that she chopped was three times as long, and just as high. And that’s what she did in her spare time because she was also cooking for a threshing crew, taking care of her four kids, working on other people’s farms as a maid, and taking care of the animals. Then in the 20th century, people got rich enough that some women were able to work outside the home. That started in the 1920s, and really accelerated up through World War II because women were pulled into factories while the men went off to war. The men fought, and died, and that’s pretty much the history of humanity. And then in the 50s, when Betty Friedan started to whine about the plight of women, it’s like, the soldiers came home from the war, everyone started a family, the women pulled in from the factories because they wanted to have kids, and that’s when they got all oppressed.

>Why do you care so much? It's a non issue.
Are you honestly retarded? The only reason Peterson took this stance was because of a law in Canada that would be very open to abuse, its breadth of interpretation was so wide that totally arbitrary enforcement for the sake of protecting people's feeling was a legitimate possibility. How is this a non issue? You would be a criminal or lose your job just for exercising free speech. And it isn't happening in a vacuum either, this is a systemic issue, it's a mentality that has utterly permeated the minds of 20 somethings and brutally exploits and maladjusted them.

>You would be a criminal or lose your job just for exercising free speech.
You can already lose your job for exercising free speech.
>The only reason Peterson took this stance was because of a law in Canada that would be very open to exploitation
If this was passed in the USA the supreme court would strike it down as unconstitutional. I don't care about syrup-suckers.
>And it isn't happening in a vacuum either, this is a system issue, it's a mentality that has utterly permeated the minds of 20 somethings and brutally exploits and maladjusts them.
They're a very loud but small group of 20 somethings. I know a lot of them and this kind of shit is a non-issue to them.

When did you realise leftists have no reservations about denying large-scale atrocities when it suits them too? Probably hold to the same deluded maxim as /pol/, "this never happened, but it should in the future..."

>1. Brave New World – Aldous Huxley
>2. 1984 – George Orwell

Why can't they just admit that it happened, and be glad of it?

They're famous for a reason.

I don't care about the numbers. 120,000,000 million Jews were killed in the Holocaust. 400,000,000 people died in the Gulags. It matters less than the meaning of why people were killed.

>in my English classes we read modern American authors and Greek tragedians, we read The Illiad in the 6th grade and acted out parts in front of the class

just so we're clear: you think that because you ACTED OUT THE ILIAD in the SIXTH FUCKING GRADE that this counts as studying it?

>I'm sorry you got a shitty education

...and you think *I'm* the one who got a shitty education? Look at what you just posted, you absolute fucking mongoloid. Think.

Peterson says they were killed because of hatred and resentment of Being. Is this not true?

So is Duck Dynasty

>You can already lose your job for exercising free speech.
But not for something so arbitary. See the relevance?

>They're a very loud but small group of 20 somethings. I know a lot of them and this kind of shit is a non-issue to them.
How fucking anecdotal. Well guess what, I know people too. They are not a minority, they are the vast majority of people at my college (I live in NYC). These are the meek who will inherit the earth once the boomers finally die, and they are honestly giant children. This sort of protectionism is one of the many reasons they will forever be mentally stunted consumerist whores, and they are determined to drag everyone else down with them.

If people are still watching that in 50 years, maybe there will be something to say for it.

Why not read the Gulag Archipelago as a happy story then? Instead of sheeeit we dindu nuffin, stalin was a good boi.

>stalin was a good boi.
Castro too if the news can be believed.

>He's famous for refusing to call students by the pronouns they request. What a luminary.

That's how he got our attention, but turns out this guy is an amazing orator.

The holohoax never happened, it was manufactured by the Allies after WW2. The so called atrocities of the Stalinist government was also vastly exaggerated by his predecessors in order to de-Stalinize the union. Both Stalin and Hitler were great leaders who accomplished inhuman feats with their respective nations.

>Peterson says they were killed because of hatred
I hear this a lot so it's probably true.
>and resentment of Being
I'm not a Mandarin so I'm not sure what that means.
I'm not happy these people died I'm pointing out that it's weird to focus so much on how many died, as if 1 million people being killed is okay vs. 6 million.

>well read Harvard professor
>capable orator
shocking

>I'm not a Mandarin so I'm not sure what that means.
It means you "just want to watch the world burn" a la the Joker from Batman.

That's what I thought but you capitalized being so I got confused. I guess that's part of it.

I said amazing, not capable.

He's going to appear on Steven Crowder next lol

MODS please delete this thread.

fuck of

What both you and Peterson fail to understand is that the adjustment was not to the law but to which grounds the law may be applied to.

The law in question (s318 of the Criminal Code of Canada) criminalizes hate propaganda. The law specifically states:

>Every one who advocates or promotes genocide is guilty of an indictable offence and liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding five years.

The adjustment to this law was not to loosen the standards on which actions may qualify as incitements of hatred. The adjustment was in what may be defined as an "identifiable group".

Read R v Keegstra and you'll begin to understand what the law means by "incitement to hatred".

Promotion of hatred and incitement of hatred involves more than a professor having a hard time deciding which pronoun he should use to refer his many students.

His legal fears are unfounded and inflated to appeal to a large majority of people who oppose "politically correct culture". He self-stylizes as a rebel while really representing a knee-jerk majority position among most average Canadians.

Essentially: Jordan Peterson is asshurt about fuckall and perverting a misreading of Canadian law to promote his own ideological concerns, despite claiming to criticize the supposedly ideologically motivated changes to the definition of "identifiable group".

And, to make matters worse, he hasn't brought a single new argument to the table against political correctness.

He's a hack and a complete clown. His clout among you whiny /pol/ retards is the only reason UofT hasn't fired him yet.

>anyone and anything can be any identifiable group
>not grounds for exploitation
lol

ITT: triggered leftists and gender non-conformists

Peterson's many influences are important to examine because they encapsulate the brutality of our shared human experience. Ideologues need not apply.

>not realizing that the identifiable group isn't what matters
stay retarded i guess

Sorry for understanding the weight of legal precedent.

no you

This guy is lit as fuck. I enjoy his lectures and his commentary on books, particularly Nietzsche.

youtu.be/MCOw0eJ84d8

t. Thinks the holocaust is a Jewish hoax

>Peterson's many influences are important to examine because they encapsulate the brutality of our shared human experience.

"the brutality of our shared human experience" that's quite a lengthy fart my dear Nora.

You clearly don't if you've read R v Keegstra or any SCC precedent on hate speech and still hold that it's the identifiable group thing that matters in whether or not Peterson should use specified pronouns or not

Are you still mad that he destroyed you in that debate, Mayo Moran?
>That passive aggressiveness

I haven't seen the debate. If Moran mentioned the hate speech laws in specific, please tell me.

I said I was sorry, geez.

The links to books from his website are for the Canadian Amazon.com
How amusing!

>His clout among you whiny /pol/ retards is the only reason UofT hasn't fired him yet.
lol literally go kill yourself

>1 and 2
Why? Unless you're teaching a class on authoritarianism in literature there's no reason to have both

>fedora tipper the list

Ok, some classics up there, but what's missing is glaring. I mean, you've got Crime and Punishment and Demons, but not Brothers? And then you finish it with this Jung and A History of Fedora Ideas... Jup, we've someone here that likes to decide what's best for his audience.

set me a reliable precedent and I might

give me your address

The guy used to teach at Harvard. The ONLY reason UofT hasn't fired is because /pol/ likes him.

Watch it then.
youtu.be/68NHUV5me7Q

And he totally deserves to be fired over protesting the pronoun law

>Jordan Petersons
>Peterson published Maps of Meaning: The Architecture of Belief in 1999. The book describes a comprehensive rational theory for how we construct meaning, represented by the mythical process of the exploratory hero, and also provides a way of interpreting religious and mythical models of reality presented in a way that fits in with modern scientific understanding of how the brain works.[16] It synthesizes ideas drawn from narratives in mythology, religion, literature and philosophy, as well as research from modern neuropsychology.

Ok, I guess I'll look into him.

slave

>nobel prize in lit
>no good

besides
> "no good"
you're not buying a toaster.

bob dylan

Why, because you disagree with him?
Do you advocate the use of against him?

That post was sarcastic.

that is the smile of a man free at last from pseudolintellectual bullshit

how many people in this thread can say that they have ever looked as fucking happy as that? i can't. i don't think i could even name three people who have

that is what a man looks like. that's why people get triggered about this

well first this and then this : >from what i've heard

Oh and
>you're not buying a toaster
Don't tell me want I can and can't buy
>inb4 you're not the boss of me now
>inb4 you're not so big

Yeah this if we're going to be honest.

>He is someone who genuinely bridges the works of Nietzsche and the modern landscape

A picture of an iranian politician is not a counter-argument.

>He is someone who genuinely bridges the works of Nietzsche and the modern landscape, that's worth exploring.

???

daily, but then again i abuse opiates

>opiates

The ultimate pseud-addiction.

>psychologist with 7298 citations is only famous for his pronoun refusal

this is the list of a white privilege having transphobic bigot. maybe he thinks things like "rationality" and "freedom" are the bees knees, but those things take a back seat when trans people are literally being killed by trump supporters every day, maybe if he would shut up, listen, and check his privilege, he would know that