Do you have to be a narcissist in order to write?

Do you have to be a narcissist in order to write?

I think so.

everyone's a narcissist already

define your terms

One who shows extreme affection, love and admiration for himself or herself.

kys
pic unrelated
double kys

are you a wannabe writer?

This. Some people fit the exact description, and others, like myself do not fit it in the slightest. And yet i regard myself as narcissistic, in terms of no other love matters but self lovr, because that is the only love that can last

haha your good yes I am working on getting published my prose collection at the moment

So short stories?
Have you published them in lit mags?
If not, you're wasting your time. Publishers don't give a fuck about a collection of unpublished short stories. They barely give a fuck about short story collections.

>Something is tell me they will want to make an exception for this one collection
holy shit, you are such a narcissist you might actually get published.

That something is me. I'm lying to you because it makes me laugh that you actually believe it.

you have to be a narcissist to do much anything in capitalist society

that's like, half of the whole thing

>Do you have to be a narcissist in order to write?
>thinking what you have to say is so worthwhile it should be written down and distributed among the population
Yeah, I think that qualifies.

After reading a lot of TheLastPsychiastrist I'm inclined to agree.

do you like psucciatry too? I fell that it has really helps me to write better stories by understanding how humman mind works

>implying this is a bad thing

I didn't imply anything. That's your interpretation.

That's not the clinical definition.

>Narcissistic personality disorder From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
>an excessive need for admiration, and a lack of understanding of others' feelings.
A good writer has an excellent understanding of the feelings of others, so no.

yes, because you have to think your thoughts and experiences are uniquely valuable

thats why the 'writers' on Veeky Forums are always untalented "le lighting cigarette in front of scrunched up face in black and white picture" types who care more about being /literary/ than actually saying something enlightening

>TheLastPsychiastrist

I hate that faggot, he just whines about everything without providing any solutions.

You can only be a "good writer" after developing a taste for boipussy

>mfw I read this as "Do you have to be a narcissist in order to be white?"

uh hello I thought this was Veeky Forums not Veeky Forums
we don't use "clinical definitions" here
we use the poetic versions of words

just b urself

It's precisely because Veeky Forums is filled with predominantly narcissistic effeminate men that they'll never achieve anything of value.

I'm unirornically writing a literary autobiography titled "The Narcissist"

>predominantly narcissistic effeminate men
/thread
/board

To be successful at anything you need to be a narcissist.

He has a lot of style. And your posts betrays a very modern mentality, namely that everything can be fixed, that we've the power to change our world to a desired end. TLP is a realist, in the vast majority of psychiatry cases the 'problem' is identified and understood but there is no progress made. This is the nature of mental health, it's about how you internalize the knowledge needed to change, less so than the actual awareness.

plain stupidity

I think you have to be either pathologically arrogant or extremely dumb to think you have something to say to the point of people needing to print and promote it.

>t. the unpublished pleb

>And your posts betrays a very modern mentality, namely that everything can be fixed, that we've the power to change our world to a desired end.

Could you explain this a little more please?

I think, regarding people having nothing smart to say, that it is probably true for you

What does this say about the people who read what these arrogant idiots write? Did you just reduce yourself and this entire board to fixating on the works of actual retards?

do you have to be homosexual to post this?

No.
Being a narcissist will make your shit insufferable.
You need to be an autist.
And hate yourself.

Not arrogant idiots, arrogant people and idiots.

That's sad.

>You need to be an autist.
>And hate yourself.
Score! I'm going to write the next great American novel!

>"Useful, creative work, which confronts the individual with "unsolved intellectual and aesthetic problems" and thereby mobilises narcissism on behalf of activities outside the self, provides the narcissist, according to Heinz Kohut, with the best hope of transcending the predicament"-Christopher Lasch, Culture of Narcissism

I recommend reading culture of Narcissism by Lasch, particularly the chapter about art. Lasch makes the point that the creation of art, a once noble pursuit, has degenerated into a "pseudo-confessional" form as popularised by Woody Allen and seen more recently in the work of authors like Bret Easton Ellis. The device of unreliable narrator reflects the narcissist's tendency to create a false self and to invest libidinal energy into it in order to avoid facing his own massive flaws.

Art does still offer therapeutic benefits for a narcissist, as in the quote above, but only when the narcissistic author uses his novel as a kind of simulated ego death. It was Kafka who wrote in his notes for The Man Who Disappeared that there is no better place to die than in ones own novel.

I have very strong narcissistic tendencies that I have to constantly combat and art is by far the best way for me to accomplish that, whether writing or painting or whatever. It's hard to explain why this is, but it seems to give me something to care about other than a conception of myself.

Romantic relationships are the absolute worst for the narcissism I have. It amps up so high I end up not even caring about the person anymore. Their affection for me becomes nothing but a confirmation of my value.

I have the same tendency. I consider sexual narcissism to be a very mild autistic spectrum disorder

>Being a narcissist will make your shit insufferable.
>You need to be an autist.
>And hate yourself.
no, no, no.
you have to be an autist who's way too much conceited about his "literary abilities" or else you'll never finish anything, let alone get it published and well liked by people.

>narcissism
>bad

I'm so fucking sick of this meme

Motherfucker, made me spit my tea out.

I wish you and Lasch would simulate ego death

You just dont get it

To some degree, yes. If you're a writer, you want your stories to be popular, your point of view to be respected. That isn't to say that you're a clinical narcissist. You probably just lean that way on the spectrum of things.

What's the deal with John Green? Why is he so polarizing among people? I've never read any of his works, but people tend to either love him or despise him.

I'm not the guy you're replying to

see John Gray

I'm not.

not him but one of the defining characteristics of societies in their age of decadence is the arrogant belief that humans can solve all problems because we can think about them real good

a lot of problems simply have no solutions, user. we can understand a problem, that doesn't always mean we can figure out how to change it to a desired outcome

>Have you published them in sjw mags
No

Where does it say that it is bad?

Narcissism almost universally carries negative connotations and you know this.

Stop being an insufferable mongoloid.