Fml

oh lawdy look at the time, it's Patti-0-clock, lets cook ya heard

this thread is for anyone to post a cook-along, bake-along, drink-along, pickle-along or OC food/drink pics, post your meals or what ever if you dont want to make or use another thread

last thread

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/IvPdwoppGw4
youtu.be/v--IqqusnNQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

going to make some cajun chickin pasta im mostly following a recipe but ill be improvising a little

first up is cutting this chicken into strips on a cutting board which strongly disagrees

never tried this tony crap so i got some, taste pretty decent so well see, gonna let it marinate in the fridge as long as i can manage

also the cutting board says Veggies my joke wasnt funny dont worry admission is free

Enjoy your salmonella

youtu.be/IvPdwoppGw4
my cooking jams tonight

m8 thats not even salmon gee whiz

fresh herbs from my ghetto apt garden

pasta stuff is prepped got a few more things on the agenda

What, you think he's going to eat that raw? Are you Gordon Ramsay?

i have limited oven space so i do ghetto shit sometimes

Aww, Doc wants to be in the pic too.

tough titty said the kitty, seekay has shunned her from OP pics this is as close as she gets

ive decided this ceramic pan meme is BS you cant get a sear worth a darn

gettin muh sauce on point DO NOT RUSH THIS SHIT

Good, I'm all about that Patti-melt

youtu.be/v--IqqusnNQ

if any of yall know bout dat Cheddar's then youll know what im doing is making liqid beetus to put on my croissants

That poor caged animal is trying to chew through the bars! Also why would you put this wild animal on your counter!?

Currently doing leftover lamb from yesterday, had it in the pan on a low heat to render out the fat and then added some onions and butter, gonna leave it for a good 30 mins or so and then in sandwiches with Dijon and watercress.

Not much to look at yet but this gonna be good. Lamb was a leg that was roasted for 3 hours in a paste of rapeseed oil, butter, crushed cumin seeds, thyme, rosemary and garlic out of the garden for those interested.

m8 im lucky she lets me use her kitchen at all calm yer tits

this looks good i wish lamb wasnt so expensive here

not gonna lie shit was mad tasty

This was £5 something for a 1.2 kilo leg.

Adding the watercress to the pan very briefly with a little water to steam and soften the stalks.

Bread is a bit small really, didn't realise how much there was.

Also I went with English mustard over Dijon, with this much in the sandwich a stronger mustard was needed.

Bought ramps this weekend, that time o year, sauteed in bacon fat eaten with crusty bread. Ramps are delicious but they are mad garlicky

come on, you can't pair quality like that with Pabst.

Hey, OP, just wanna say I really like these threads, even more so your cat.

Hey OP, nice to see you and kitteh back again. Not much OC on here anymore so it's always good to see these threads.

Last thread I got like halfway through dumping some stuff I had stocked up and the image limit hit, so I'll post it here, starting with a quick carrot soup I made some time ago, using all purple carrots.

I juiced some of the carrots and added a little bit of fresh young coconut water to that liquid, which would become the liquid part of the soup. Meanwhile, I sweated down some shallots, adding a good amount of galangal just before adding the liquid. For those who've never had it, galangal is amazing- similar to ginger, but less hot with a brighter, sweeter, more floral flavor. Goes great with carrots.

I simmered the remaining carrots in this mixture, then pureed the lot and passed it through a chinois, then seasoned it with salt and a tiny bit of sherry vinegar. I also made a very thick black sesame puree that went into the bottom of the bowls before the soup- literally just toasted black sesame seeds, a tiny bit of sesame oil, water, salt, and enough sugar to counteract some of the bitterness without making it taste sweet at all.

Poured the soup over that and finished it with
the flesh of the young coconut and some thin sliced yellow chiles, as well as some more black sesame seeds.

Next up, carrot salad dish I've been working on.

Made some ricotta, which I blended up with a little bit of homemade creme fraiche and passed through a tamis to get a smooth puree, then whipped up into a mousse and seasoned with a little bit of lemon zest and salt. The whey from that ricotta I used to poach some thick slices of carrot- 30 minutes poach, then refrigerated in the liquid overnight, then finished the next morning. The acid and milky flavor of the whey really brings out the best of the sweetness of the carrots- they taste incredibly sweet and bright afterwards.

Then I had two carrot preparations with coffee- the yellow carrots I tossed in a light coating of olive oil and salt and roasted tightly covered on a bed of coffee beans, so they'd absorb the oils of the coffee and concentrate in flavor but not lose too much moisture. The purple carrots I blanched and then smoked over coffee beans.

Piped some of the ricotta lemon mousse, then put on the three types of carrot preparations, as well as some toasted hazelnuts and pickled golden raisins. Raisins are great for pickling because they absorb so much liquid- they get really juicy and when you bite into them they burst with that pickling liquid. You really have to get the flavor of that liquid down, but if you do they provide something really great to a dish.

The dish was finished with shaved raw carrots dressed lightly with a very simple white wine vinaigrette and salt, as well as a sprinkle of maldon salt, some cold-pressed canola oil, and parsley.

Next dish is halibut.

I steamed the fish over vin jaune (a really odd but extremely tasty French wine from Jura), which I then reduced down and made a beurre blanc (beurre jaune, in this case?) from. I rested the fish in that beurre as well as saucing the plate with it.

I cold-smoked some cream over apple wood and made a sunchoke puree with that, shaved and marinated some fennel for a nice crunchy raw salad along with some french sorrel and baby radish leaves, made some barley bread that I tore up and toasted off in brown butter. Pretty simple dish but the flavors of the fennel, halibut, sunchoke, and vin jaune together were super nice. Not super happy with the presentation though, I need to work on it a bit- plus the layers of the fennel I bought were REALLY thick which meant that my shavings were really wide and didn't form a nice tall, loose pile like I wanted.

Duck dish next. Got a whole duck and broke it down. The legs I cured overnight and then confited until the bones pulled out easily. I shredded the meat, mixed it with a little bit of the fat I cooked it in as well as some salt and a bit of thyme, and pressed that mixture between two sheet pans and chilled it. Once it was set I cut it into cubes, floured it, and fried it into croquettes.

The frame I made duck stock out of, then I reserved about 250mL or so and reduced the rest down to a duck jus, which I finished with a bit of rhubarb puree and mounted with butter.

I pan-roast the breasts really simply, scored the skin, put in a cold cast iron skillet, then gradually heated to render the fat and crisp the skin. I cooked them almost 75% on the skin side, basting with its own rendered duck fat that I added some garlic and thyme to.

I smoked some rhubarb and simply slow roast the rest- some of the slow roast stuff I pureed and finished the jus with.

Pickled some nice fresh snap peas, and shaved some and mixed with some shaved sweet chilies and a simple vinaigrette.

Got some gorgeous little golden turnips from a market, which I cubed, seared in some of the duck fat, and then braised down really slowly with the reserved duck stock. Turnips cooked that way develop a really nice complex sweetness that balances out their sharpness.

I apologize for any shitty photography that may occur, my skill at taking pictures is pretty low.

Finished the dish with some pea tendrils and shaved watermelon radish.

actual decent plating
on my Veeky Forums ?

you ruined it with the micro green on this one. otherwise looks bangin

you might want to add a puree to the base

Next dish is quails, I decided to do ballotines with them, mostly just for the butchery challenge. The quails were pretty tiny- smaller than my hand- but they were really nice and came with the necks still attached which is a big plus in my books.

Removing the bones from a quail is basically the same as from a chicken or whatever, it's just super fiddly because the bones are tiny and the ribs are quite flexible which means they're not as easy to scrape. Basically you make a cut all the way down the backbone and then go outwards from there, getting the oysters off the back and then going forward through the hip joints to detach the legs, and around the ribcage and keelbone to remove the breasts.

More kitty pls

Yeah the pea tendrils didn't work, I 100% agree on that. They tasted good but it wasn't the right look for the dish- next time I mess around with it I'll do something different. Snow pea leaves maybe, those are fantastic and they're always around at the asian grocer.

Once the carcass is detached, you debone the legs, and then move whatever meat you can around (while keeping it all attached together) so that you have an even-ish layer all over. Generally I fold the tenders on the breasts down or to the side to fill any gaps. Once that's done, I salted them and set them aside while I made my filling- duxelles of morels with toasted hazelnuts and sweated shallots, as well as a tiny bit of foie gras. Ground that all down into a fine consistency, put it onto the inside of the birds, and rolled/torchoned them so that the entire outside is enclosed by skin. Those hung out in the fridge until I was ready to cook them at the end.

Used the quail bones to make a jus, caramelized them along with a few halved shallots in the oven with a good bit of duck fat, then added the caramelized shallots and bones to some chicken stock and simmered it down.

Meanwhile, I made a lightly spiced pickling liquid (cider vinegar, salt, a touch of brown sugar, cinnamon, star anise, and mustard seeds) and pickled some hazelnuts. Just simmered them in the pickling liquid for 15 minutes, then put the whole lot into the fridge overnight. I then used the shells from the hazelnuts I pickled and used in the duxelles to smoke some butter, which I used to mount the jus at the end.

>3.4MB

Im out

The dish is intended to be kind of a riff on caille aux raisins, so the next main thing was grapes. I found some really nice muscat grapes at the market, and did a few different preparations- some I blanched, peeled, and cured; and some I roasted just until they were softened, slightly shrunken, and starting to caramelize a bit. The juice that came out of the grapes as they roasted I added to the quail jus.

I also roasted some radishes using a bit more of my hazelnut shell smoked butter, and cooked up some fiddleheads.

Finished quail dish. The little greens on there are sunflower shoots, which are amazing little things- crunchy, juicy, and mellow in flavor.

wow nice dish

Thanks, I was really happy with that one.

Last one for right now is another straight veg dish, which I always find really interesting to do because you're a lot less limited on what techniques you can apply to veg than to proteins. In this case, my main ingredient was some gorgeous little german butter potatoes, which I decided to cook in beeswax, for two reasons- first, beeswax smells amazing, and I figured it'd add some flavor and aroma to the potatoes; and two, because wax is VERY water resistant so I figured it'd keep the moisture in the potatoes effectively.

If you've ever wondered what a pound of raw beeswax looks like, here it is. Smells amazing.

Potatoes cooking away. Meanwhile, I heated up the charcoal grill and got myself prepared for my other components.

Potatoes out of the wax, cooled, and peeled. They definitely gained some color from the process, and absorbed a really great honeyish/floral aroma.

Meanwhile, I set up a double boiler and whipped some duck yolks with a tiny bit of honey, some sherry vinegar, and some salt, until it was slightly thicker than a sabayon. I also made up a very strong salt solution, seasoned with a bit of thyme and a touch of sherry vinegar, which I repeatedly brushed onto the potatoes to season them, repeating each time they absorbed it. Otherwise they'd just have salt on the surface.

Some of the potatoes I also cooked again, thinking of the cooking process of a French pastry called cannelé de bordeaux, where the moulds are coated in a mix of beeswax and clarified butter. So I did a similar thing with half the potatoes, heating a 50/50 mix of beeswax and clarified butter in a skillet and cooking the potatoes off. They developed a super flavorful, even crust on the surface which was really nice.

Plating begins. Started with some of the duck yolk, and the cannelé potatoes went down first.

With the grill fully heated, I quickly charred off some little ramps, which went down next.

Ramps, fiddleheads, morels, and rhubarb always make me excited when I first see them in markets and such. Nice to know that produce season is gearing up.

Sliced the other beeswax-poached potatoes and shingled them on. The texture of the inside of those potatoes was fucking magical- being cooked with the liquid sealed inside made their texture dense, creamy, almost fudge-like. I also shaved some of the same potatoes on a mandoline and fried them up.

Finished dish. Went with some bee pollen, maldon salt, and more sunflower shoots to finish (honestly partly because I had a whack of sunflower shoots left). I tried to at least add the shoots in a different way, trimming them off just below the leaves and putting the stem ends in between potatoes so they all faced out like they were growing.

Nice. Way to use in season produce from your area. There's a growing idea, and I'm kind of becoming an adherent, that we should only consume vegetables and animal products grown in our area in season. Out of season should be those grown in the region and preserved. Makes a lot of sense to me since that was the way humans lived until post WWII. Large cities have always had to rely on shipped in food, but one look at the pale, pasty faced, weak city dweller indicates that is not an ideal to strive for.

This. Not only is stuff from your area and in season generally vastly better (because, surprise, it's actually fresh), but it helps create a sense of place and time in your food that makes it something you can't get other places. A restaurant, in my opinion, should celebrate the place that it's in. It's something I'm working on getting better at.

etc.

Goddamn, you are pretty talented. inb4 waves of haters because you are making pretty plates with experimental elements

Eh, people are always going to disagree with decisions you make, especially on here. Sometimes you can learn something from it, sometimes you just have to ignore it. It stopped bothering me a long time ago.

Later in the week I'll post another dish- planning on cooking some octopus up with whatever looks good at the markets at the time. It'll be a two day process for sure- the octopus needs to be salt-scrubbed and brined a day before cooking- so it won't be for a bit yet, but still.

I got a few cans of those Heinz baked beans. I was excited since limeys seem like they can't get enough but man, were they ever bland! Horrible

Also, thank you. Nice to hear that people have some interest in the stuff I'm throwing up here.

Glad to see there are others getting on this bandwagon. When you say, "you're trying to get better at it," does that mean you're a chef that's trying to improve his restaurant? Not being facetious, trully wondering.

I'm just starting out my career as a professional cook- only been in the industry for a year. I'm working at a place with a great seasonally changing menu though and I'm doing stuff like this on my off time to try to learn as much as I can.

Burrito de carnitas

Good deal. You've got a tough path, but your direction seems to be right. Try not to compromise too much. I know that sounds trite, but some fundamentals are worth standing up for.

user, that was amazing, some of the best content I've seen on Veeky Forums. Can't wait for the octopus

Haha thanks man, me either- I'm really looking forward to it

Quick little extra thing because I felt like throwing a dessert together tonight. Nothing fancy, just something I did in the background while other stuff was going on- sort of a play on baked apples. Opal apples roasted in coals, with a toasted oat, cinnamon, and tonka bean infused cream, and caramelized oat crumble.

Let the coals from cooking the ramps burn way down, then nestled the apples down in there and lidded the grill and let them cook down and caramelize. If you've never tried Opal apples before, they're well worth it- super aromatic and fairly sweet.

Then I toasted off some oats and steeped those along with a few toasted, broken cinnamon sticks and some tonka bean into the cream, which I then strained and whipped with some sugar. The starches from the oats thickened the cream a bit and gave the cream a really rich texture. I then took those sugary, mildly spiced oats and cooked them down in a low oven until well browned and fully dried and crispy.

Not fancy plating or technique or anything but you don't always need that, it was damn tasty either way.

Ribeye was on sale so I made this monstrosity. Keep it simple with steak, it's already good on it's own. Salt, pepper and butter only. Serve with roasted beets and carrots with olive oil, salt and pepper. I feel like the earthiness in the beets helped bring out the umami flavor of the steak, but I love roasted beets. I try to cook more simple things to really just let the ingredients be themselves with well thought out pairings.

ugghhh the turbocringe, circle jerk, reddit tier, samefags in these threads

always

>go to a thread you don't like
>where people are enjoying themselves and generally getting along
>to complain about how people are enjoying themselves and generally getting along

Why even bother?

who doesn't love some good cringe?

O-kay

:)

ya its pretty pricey here, sandwich looks p dank, ive started using extra hot mustard so much that normie mustard dont cut the mustard for me these days

never heard on ramps but that bread and butter lookin mighty fine to me right now

thats where youre wrong friendo ;^)

thx m8

thx, you make some wild stuff pro as fug man i want to try this one most cuz i dont think ive tried anything on that plate except i had a burger with duck/pork mix once

hold my beer senpai

i was unaware that you were "in" to begin with

lol ive had that can for a while still havent tried them, threw it in cuz im penny pinchin for a new moto im getting this weekend so my grocery hauls have been lackin the last few threads

looks dank, ive liked pickled beets since a little kid and obviously patti mayonaise is a fan of The Beets, are you using fresh beets? I needs to fuck with more beets are they sweet when they arent pickled?

is it more cringe to be interested in Food & Cooking or spend your free time trolling a cooking forum? serious question

gonna make some tendies

will try to drop a few pics but it is not exciting

Going to try those scones again bros. Picked some fresh lavender, bought some shitty wine, all set to go

I always forget that silver bowl is too small for this recipe and have to switch to a bigger bowl. Anyone tried shredding butter instead of cutting it in or is that just a meme?

I love putting lemon zest in everything. Makes this shitty kitchen feel a little nicer. Lavender is weird though, I never know how much to put in these scones before it's too much.

Alright guys, I'm going to turn this ugly pile of dough into a lightly sweet, fluffy, delicious dessert

The butter is still marbled so that's good, I didn't take so long that it warmed up. Hopefully not too much lavender in there. Time for the roll out

Looking a lot better than last time. Brush with cream and stick in the oven

They look and smell good
Making a glaze next for them

Just powdered sugar and lemon juice and lavender

Finished product looks alright and tastes good. Need to figure out how to get my scones to brown a little better. Any tips? I bake at 400 for ~20 minutes, brush with cream.

>tips?
You already admitted to us that you throw most of this shit away immediately so what does it matter
Wasteful cunt

I had a fleeting suspicion that this guy might be an asshole, thanks for confirming.

Hey op, I live on 3k a year. So do half the people on this website.
How about not being a fucking dick?

Can't sell it. Can't give it away. Eat what I want, so why not toss the rest?

I'm not going to sell shit that would embarrass me. These scones I'll sell discounted since they're off-coloured but that other sloppy shit? Nah m8, me n my roommate will eat what we want and the rest goes in the bin

m8 thats not even me but desu he can do whatever he wants with his food, id be more concerned about making more money than what others are doing if i were in your position

looks good to me, any crumb shot?

so accidentally played tetris for 4 hours last night and got tired and heated up leftovers, so making these tendies for lunch

Crumb shot
Not bad, but working on getting better

I'm actually trying to open a bakery, op. I live in a small town so we don't have food kitchens or anything, and I'm pretty sure they can't accept home cooked stuff anyway.

I don't want people's first impression of my baking to be super shitty so I don't give away stuff that tastes weird or looks super bad. It's embarrassing.

Stuff that's only got minor issues, like these scones or the bread on the left in this pic, I'll sell super discounted or give to someone. But like my sloppy scones, or the messed up bread on the right stays here on the counter where my roommate and I eat what we want for a couple days before tossing it.

CUTE

>I saw a funny picture which
said that

Get a knife and run into it.

I imagine shredding butter is only worth it if you forgot/didn't have time to get it to room temp.

>salmonella
>impale yourself

I swear to god these botulism and salmonella imbeciles sound like my mom. It's why I had to live my entire childhood eating overcooked meats and vegetables.

cooked some chicken which had dried oregano, cumin, chilli flakes, lime juice, salt. the salsa was just avo, tom, lime and some spring onions cause i didnt have any red onions

forgot pic

im hungry as hell but dont feel like cooking, but this is the life ive chosen, thawing this steak probably gonna fry it because i fry everything

looks good but i imagined scones being more pastry like, that looks like a cornbread consistency, need to try a proper scone

bread looks good, i always put my old leftovers or whatnot out for hobo kittys, maybe if theirs like a lake or some shit around you could give kids old baked goods to feed to ducks or something, sounds gay but some people dig that shit

:)

look bretty tasty m8

not gonna bs my next post is gonna trigger some people

:o

>little plate for Giblet

one looks like a dong lol

really hard to tell if buttermilk is too old so we gon roll with it

salted the steak fangas and will let them marinate for a while and try not to fall into a tetris coma

I, too, have a ghetto apartment garden, OP.