French writer

Who is the best french writer ? Name his best book.

>Honoré de Balzac
>Ferragus

>Jules Verne
>Paris in the twentieth century

Now that I think about it French literature is utter garbage.
>Dumas
>The Count of Monte Christo

Terrible taste

Probably Baudelaire or Proust

Victor Hugo - Les Misérables

La Légende des Siècles > Les Misérables

Céline- Voyage au bout de la nuit.

Are we talking about fiction or...?

Maistre's writing is extremely impressive, for example, but he was a political theorist.

I'm gonna go ahead and say Proust even though I've never actually read him.

yeah me too, he just sounds so good

Either
>La Fontaine
>Les Fables
or
>Montaigne
>Les Essais

is Zola's Les Rougon-Macquart cycle like a fantasy series where you have to read each one, or can you just read La Debacle and Germinal and be perfectly good.

Flaubert and Stendhal are the two greatest novelists. Céline not too far behind.

I'd just like to namedrop Tournier, which is unfairly ignored by this board. Le roi des Aulnes and Vendredi are good starting points.

>Stendhal
>Le Rouge et le Noir

>Stendhal
Criminally underrated, I agree

Anglos seem to think of him as some Soap-TV author lol... which is baffling to me. Astonishing depth of emotions in his work...

His autobiographical works are very good too.

I would say huysmans, but I've never read any of his books

Léon Bloy

> Houellebecq
> Platforme

Anyone like André Gide?

anglo here, just started reading mme bov in french. loved the flashback to Emma's time spent at the convent. Her preoccupation with the aesthetic elements of religion was insightful, moving, but also damning. Definitely the best prose I've encountered in the language.

i still think french contributions to political thought and poetry greatly outweigh their contributions to literature though.

How do you guys feel about Alain Robbe-Grillet?

Too abstruse to be better than great

Surfait, mais intéressant ?

How hard is Ma Vie : Mode d'emploi to read btw ? Not as far as language, but moreso the number of characters and all...

His "Instantannés" was great because it's a bunch of short stories, but then I read "La Jalousie", and I'm still not sure what's the actual story of this book. Then again, le nouveau roman is all about telling a story about writing instead of writing a story.

Also one of my favorite:
>Blaise Cendrars
>Moravagine

Pascal, Pensées.

Have you read Les Provinciales? How is it compared to Les Pensées?

>i still think french contributions to political thought and poetry greatly outweigh their contributions to literature though.
Absolutely not
I don't read philosophy at all and I took the time to learn french for the lit

Quantity and quality of literature ranked:
1. English
2. French
3. Russian
The rest start to become negligible

Bernanos?
Sous le soleil de Satan is probly his best
if not Flaubert or Hugo
Haven't read a la recherche du temps perdu yet though, I'm gonna wait til I have a super-good mastery of the language

I read The Erasers and I was amazed. It's a very comfy read for this time of the year. It's a crime story with a twist, yes, but it's more than that. It made me think a lot about the nature of reality. God, I'm making it sound awful. It's better than I'm capable of describing it, give it a try.

>Moravagine
Been looking for that forever as an ebook.

Another one of my favourites is Julien Gracq. I found out about him on Veeky Forums several years ago. He was discussed much more on this board back then.

Some other good French authors that I haven't seen mentioned: Nathalie Sarraute, Francis Ponge, Henri Michaux (yes, Belgian, I don't care), Jean-Philippe Toussaint, Marcel Schwob.

Me too, I couldn't find it anywhere, not on irc nor everywhere else. Someone has a link?

The only places I haven't looked are aaaarg and bibliotik or any other of those elitist places where they won't let an unwashed peasant like me.

assuming you mean an english translation (>...), no, it isn't on any elitist place

>Quantity
>1. English
Enjoy your trips

Worst post ITT