Is there a piece of literature that touches on the notion that no two people receive the same reality similarly...

Is there a piece of literature that touches on the notion that no two people receive the same reality similarly? That each and every person's internal consciousness is unique, and that if they were to experience the exact same thing as one another, they would internalize the abstract completely differently? Basically making language only useful for communicating only the most external layer of our lives, making individual existence ultimately lonely?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qualia
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

wittgenstein's private language

hegel's phenomenology

gadamer's truth and method

Any fiction?

Orhan Pamuk - The White Castle

Implicitly all of it famalam.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qualia

this is a good question, but I think maybe the irresolvable aloneness of being one person might not be the sort of thing books can be about; since we can't ever quite step into another person's perspective, loneliness doesn't consist in this, since when we feel most connected, we're nevertheless alone in just the same way

I think what you're feeling is loneliness and alienation and trying to ground it in something universal, which is what one does, but I don't think you're going to find anything about the universal aloneness, because for most of us it's fine

maybe what you're looking for is books about loneliness that seems inappropropriate? loneliness among loved ones, for instance?

>That we are capable only of being what we are remains our unforgivable sin

that's his point, that we can never know what other people's qualitative states are like; the best we have is inference to the best explanation from a sample size of 1

I think it can be done, but not directly through a literary aesthetic such as stream of consciousness, since what I mean is the true lonely self is an essence that perhaps cannot truly be explained through our current forms of communication.

The waves by Woolf

why would you think it can be done, then?

here's why it can't:

the very issue is that we can't see something both from our point of view and from another's

but in order to know and write about the fact that we're alone, we would have to do precisely this -- we would have to see things both from our point of view and from another's to know that our points of view differ in the way required for this aloneness to work.

that is, unless of course we think we can infer from other people's behavior and words that their perspective differs fundamentally from ours -- but if we can infer people's perspectives from behavior and words, whence cometh this aloneness?

Der Erlkönig

All I am saying is there can be fiction and literary aesthetics that approach it, that talk about it, that try and use words to the best of their ability to describe it.

But yeah it can't be penetrated because the nature of it is perhaps beyond language.

Perhaps art itself is a form of trying to communicate the depths of our internal conscious and soul

maybe

as wittgenstein should have said,

>whereof one cannot speak, one must play guitar

Does it require a story to get this across, though? It seems naturally intuitive. We see it in action every time we so much as speak to another person. We understand it every time we so much as even think about a relationship between two other people- who expects a relationship to be a perfect joining of two as one?

Sounds like a brain fart, desu.

>s there a piece of literature that touches on the notion that no two people receive the same reality similarly?

My friend, let me introduce you.

>Implicitly all of it famalam.

Go fuck yourself.

>DUDE WHAT IF WE LIKE SEE COLOURS DIFFERENTLY LMAO
you're so deep, OP, how do you find time to post your deep thoughts will all the women drowning you in their pussy juices

better than your thought..

completely worthless, why would you even go through the trouble of typing this?

Nothing I've read so far has emphasized this.
And a lot of people definitely have no inkling.

Fuck yeah, bud.

no, you are the first special snowflake who thought of this revolutionary idea in the history of philosophy

Unironically this, to be desu fampai

The Lathe of Heaven by Ursula K LeGuin touches on those themes.

Woolf Waves handles this pretty nicely