No, no, no, you shouldn't wash mushrooms! Just give them a gentle wipe. :)

>No, no, no, you shouldn't wash mushrooms! Just give them a gentle wipe. :)

Seriously, what the fuck? How am I supposed to make sure they're clean?

Other urls found in this thread:

theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2010/jan/18/should-you-wash-mushrooms
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>how can I make sure my fungus that grows on rot is clean?

Seriously

the aren't supposed to be clean you dumb

Are you fucking telling me that I should put mushrooms covered in dirt and shit in my dishes? I even wash the vegetables from my garden before using them just in case there are any bits of dirt on them.

It is good for the immune system.

Just cook them properly. A little dirt and shit never hurt anybody after sauteing, if you see debris on your mushrooms just do as they say and wipe it off gently with like, a damp towel.

I swear I had a goddamn autistic fit when I saw some food show where like one of the most famous savory pies in the UK the dude was peeling the skin off his mushrooms from under the cap just 'cause he could. There's flavor in that stuff, man.

>dirt and shit is flavor

Can I take a dump in your pasta sauce? It's just extra flavor.

Gently brush with a soft bristled toothbrush.

if you can see the dirt, you can wipe it off. if you can't, you won't taste it you mong

>I'm afraid to eat dirt

Woman confirmed.

In my BBC good foods cookbook it says to use a lint free cloth and a good antibacterial kitchen surface spray to carefully clean to outer surface of the mushroom taking particular care on the underside in and around the fins.

If you're really that bothered do the above and then deep fat fry them.

How will you make sure they're clean even if you rinse them? It only cleans off what you can see.

As we can see such a variety of opinions in the replies so far, if you're not comfortable with any ONE of the mushroom treatments mentioned, you probably don't want to eat anything that contains mushrooms you didn't personally prepare. Ignorance is bliss.

>not washing fruits, veggies, and funghi
lmao why

Bigger mushrooms are good to wash due to them often having dirt and sand lodged in places.
Now even if you aren't really worried with a bit of dirt on there sand usually makes it kinda unpleasant to eat when you're chewing on it.

Smaller mushrooms you can get away with brushing and quickly rinsing.

Well, first of all, usually all mushrooms should be boiled thoroughly before even starting to cook anything with them. Well, technically not all but most. You should realise that mushrooms take in all the pollution and crap, so it is a wise safety measure even when the mushroom is edible just like that. Then again, if one has a favourite spot and all the, he can prolly estimate the quality and such without even tasting. I myself like to always be sure.

Previously from that you, you of course take your mushroom knife and you mushroom brush and remove the dirt and bad bits. Then, the actual cooking bit, mushrooms stay good for about 1 to 3 days after picking in a refrigerator. The taste reduces, though. Mushrooms should be always prepared as fresh as possible. I personally usually season and dry some species and cook some right away. There's nothing like fresh mushroom salad.

>I prefer my mushrooms brunette.

I just steamed a few of these for a minute or two and ate them straight from the bag. Did not even wipe them or wash them. Please exit your bubble of sterility and have faith in your resilience as a human being. Your microbiome needs to stay young m8.

just read this

theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2010/jan/18/should-you-wash-mushrooms

mushrooms sold in stores are grown in sterile substrate

Kek. The resident mycologist got drunk as fuck.

Oh my... I wonder what that would smell like

i work at a restaurant that charges like $20 for a salad
we kind of have to thoroughly wash our mushrooms or our customers would have a pearl-clutching fit

I never wash any of my fruits or veggies
I'm hoping one day I'll be lucky enough to contract some kind of foodborne illness so I can die without putting in any actual effort towards killing myself

Who in the heck ever said that

ye really makes me wonder haha
not like I'd try it or anything haha

>a good antibacterial kitchen surface spray to carefully clean to outer surface of the mushroom
Good god. Autism in its purest most unadulterated form.

There is some kind of kitchen myth that mushrooms soak up water when the yare bein washed and will therefore be tasteless and watery when cooked. That myth has been disporven, they do not soak up anything. That said, I never do more than brush off any visible dirt before cooking/frying them and have never done anything else. I'm still alive as of this post.

Nearly all my produce goes through the same process.
>dunk
>jiggle
>spin

Anything more just seems unnecessary.

>skin off his mushrooms from under the cap

>champignon
>flavor
>flavor

>repetitive behavior
>calls everything autism

Friend.. Sorry but..
That's ocd and a literal autist had to come notify you of your mental retardation.
May as well an hero. Faggot.

not him but it's hilarious seeing you around calling out "autists" despite being one yourself

keep going

You're cooking them anyway right? Not like there's going to be anywhere near the dodgy bacteria on a mushroom than on something like an egg or the surface of meat. Do you wash your steaks? They don't really use pesticides on them either.

You don't magically wash off e.coli with water. You spread it around.

I don't bother washing them, I actually like the dirt, gives the mushrooms a certain jay nay say kwa

just use a brush or something. next time pick any colorful mushroom you can find innawoods, clean it properly and eat it

I clean all the mushrooms im going to eat with cold water. You dont want to eat the dirt on the outside as can contain harmful bacteria. Wash all of your veggies...

Only right answer

Water breaks down the cellular structure of mushrooms, laddie.