Hunger

Is this /r9k/ in novel form?

maybe you're the MC and your obsession with r9k is the equivalent of the bullshit the MC mucks about in- in the book.

Not obsessed, sir.

But perhaps you could spare a krone? I'm almost finished with my masterpiece, you see. I would have finished sooner but, you know, trap threads and Overwatch have taken their toll on my ability to think.

I don't know, as far as I remember Hunger didn't have welfare or internet access. Also the protagonist actually makes an effort to fit in respectably with society whenever he interacts with people rather than just shunning it altogether.

>the effort on the buttons was totally worthwhile
>giving away the money was not a sperg move
k buddy

What a shit thread.

I guess the sperging behavior, twisted loglc in regard how to handle his money, gaunt appearance and awkwardness reminded me of /r9k/. MC was constantly sabotaging himself.

How is Mysteries compared to the rest of his novels?

I have read Pan, Growth of the Soil, Victoria and Hunger, the latter being probably my least favourite. Is his prose game in Mysteries? More comparable to Hunger or Pan?

Bukowski is quite r9k and he drew direct inspiration from Hamsun.

Bukowski always gets quoted in NEET threads but Chinaski consistently has sex and is basically a wagecuck (insider term) throughout Post Office, although he has a sort /r9k/ attitude. Basically a self-aware degenerate.

I have mixed feelings on Bukowski. I love his work personally but completely understand when people shit on him. His novels fly by and aren't incredibly profound. They're funny, though. I've read all but Women and I think Ham on Rye is a pretty great standalone novel versus the other Chinaski stuff.

Yeah, although you have to remember Bukowski lost his virginity to an obese whore. Ham on Rye is more accurate to my growing up experience than Ham on Rye, take from that what you will.

Bump

>tfw you're hungry and the newspaper has paid you five kroner for your article and you're planning on buying some nice rye bread but you decide to give the money to a gentle man on the street

No, R9k is still notes from the underground, /neet/ is still Oblomov.

Ylajali!

had he been born a few decades later, John Dolan (of the eXile/ war nerd fame) would definitely post on Veeky Forums

Currently reading Note From the Undergrond. It truly is /r9k/ the book. Everything is written for the narrator's poor attempt to justify his vices and failures as signs of intelligence and virtue. Underground isn't enjoyable in my opinion, it gets better at Wet Snow.

When I read it I found Mysteries to be the best of his 1890s novels which are the only ones I've read.
Something about the atmosphere and characters was just magical.
But I was very young when I read it, and it's a long time ago now.
Also, how in the world could you prefer Victoria over Hunger?

Why can I not buy this book on Amazon?

>how in the world could you prefer Victoria over Hunger?
Hunger is the better novel out of the two, but Victoria was my first Hamsun and it will always hold a special place for me. I also prefer his more mature, lyrical style over the proto stream of consciousness displayed in Hunger (even though the latter is formally more innovative and interesting).
I also read it when I was in love with a girl that was living in a different country, and the story made me tear up like the little bitch I am.

I read mysteries after hunger and found the prose game to be pretty on point. It reminds me a lot more of Pan than GotS. I found the book lacked some of the meaning of Pan or GotS but found it super comfy.

ur not a little bitch, you're pure

and the first page of every Hamsun book is so enticing. I've read Hunger (10/10) and have ordered Mysteries

my problem is that i don't want to run through all of them too soon and have none left

who's similar to him? i know C&P is a lot like Hunger, reading that now

>Notes is so /r9k/!!
I hate this meme. The UM is far more articulate, self-aware and downright absurd than the average denizen there. It attacks ideologies like the rational egoism more than the man.

i post something like this in every Hamsun thread

avoid the Penguin classics translations of Hamsun's work. the prose is terrible. FSG publishes the best translators. cheers.

>r9k people are on welfare
This just makes me hate them more

Disagree. I prefer Lyngstad's translations. They're all I use to teach.

I read Lyngstad's translation and found it excellent. One of my favourite novels.

>who's similar to him?
Honestly I have not read anything that compares to him. The modernists seem to borrow heavily from Hunger, although they take it to the aultimate consequences.
Perhaps To the Lighthouse, or even Dubliners and Portrait. Both have amazing prose aswell

Might aswell post the Spanish equivalent. Always go for the Baggethun translations for Hamsun and Ibsen. Nordica Libros is, as usual, the patrician choice.

Why didn't he just eat?

Mysteries has the eeriest atmosphere of all his works, and Johan Nagel is easily his most interesting character.

He was poor and retarded

/r9k/?