Bob Dylan just won the Nobel Prize for literature. How does this make you feel?

Bob Dylan just won the Nobel Prize for literature. How does this make you feel?

Other urls found in this thread:

nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/literature/laureates/2016/dylan-speech.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

« Les prix portent malheur. Prix académiques, prix de vertu, décorations, toutes ces inventions du diable encouragent l’hypocrisie et glacent les élans spontanés d’un cœur libre. Quand je vois un homme demander la croix, il me semble que je l’entends dire au souverain : J’ai fait mon devoir, c’est vrai ; mais si vous ne le dites pas à tout le monde, je jure de ne pas recommencer.
» Qui empêche deux coquins de s’associer pour gagner le prix Montyon ? L’un simulera la misère, l’autre la charité. Il y a dans un prix officiel quelque chose qui blesse l’homme et l’humanité, et offusque la pudeur de la vertu. Pour mon compte, je ne voudrais pas faire mon ami d’un homme qui aurait eu un prix de vertu : je craindrais de trouver en lui un tyran implacable. »

The only decent author in the history of the Nobel prize was Hemingway. It's really nothing to be taken seriously.

also slowpoke.jpg 0.5/8 made me reply but sage.

did you guys see his speech?

it's cute

nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/literature/laureates/2016/dylan-speech.html

>how did this make you feel
It made me feel on my own
With no direction home
Like a complete unknown

>Hemingway
0.5/8 made me replay

Like America has dropped the civilizational relay baton.

Guys, when you are having your imperial moment of hegemonic cultural might, you're supposed to create great art.

Its a responsibility, its the thing you put into the pot for the ages. Say what you like about the British Empire, but for a small county we wrote, painted, rhymed and created like our lives depended on it. We're embarrassed we never had a truly great composer.

All great empires have done this, there isn't one exception until now.

And this is what you serve up to us America. This and Hollywood movies. Well fucking done.

I don't think you're trolling, I think you just have bad tastes

>who is Purcell?

Yeah I know. But look, the nation of Shakespeare and Newton needs to honest about where the bar of greatness is set (or we're no better than the kind of national that insists that Ibsen is the equal of WS). And in music, we're not at the top table. There are many English composers that I enjoy but from an objective perspective, they aren't in the top tier. We don't have a Schumann or a Mahler, never never mind a Beethoven or a Bach.

>a dude who literally play three chords guitars on repeat for 3 mins and talks funny about the system getting his wine and others hippie shit got the nobel fucking prize
yeah i feel pretty bad for myself

Obama got the Nobel prize for peace.
The Nobel prize and the Oscar are awards for fools to present themselves before the empty masses who don't understand the concept of integrity.

i feel nothing

>implying I give credit to Nobel prizes

Honestly kek'd

>Obama got the Nobel prize for peace.
So did fucking Gandhi.

Fucking -Gandhi-.

The Nobel awards were never about integrity.

Doesn't the flowering of culture tend to come before the empire?

A huge bulk of the great works of the Greeks came in the period before Alexanders conquest. In this period Hellas was certainly powerful, but nowhere near Hegemon level. There were guys like Aristophanes, Aeschylus, Euripides etc. All of these guys were creating their works as competition for the Dionysian Festival. After this there are guys like Appolonius Rhodius (who admittedly isn't a playwright but I honestly don't know of any relevant ones from this period) who were trying to ape the greats, and you can really feel how they are just phoning it in because they were a product of a completely different social setting.

Similarly German Philosophy flourished the most in the period of the late HRE, and before unification, when the Germans themselves were decidedly not in the drivers seat of history.

The USA did have its own little flowering during the 19th century when we just barely becoming an economic power, but I agree that apart from Melville it really doesn't hold up. I think we just rose up too far too fast. The curiosity and youthful energy in America just seems like it all got swallowed up in postwar propaganda. Both from the Civil War and WW2. Before those things America was an Idea or an Experiment, after that the people got complacent.

Nobel Prizes outside of science have been a joke since its inception.

But the last century of British music shaped the whole world's tastes regardless.

Good. Bob Dylan had more cultural and literary influence than any random academic pomo writer Veeky Forums wants to jack off to. He truly embodied the Beat spirit and his lyrics are the closest to poetry ever seen in popular music.

Oh look guys the contrarian decided to showup

Mildly annoyed yet still indifferent overall.

>it's cute
t'was

>the piece prize decision process has anything to with the one for the literature prize

What's wrong with Ghandi? I mean he took all the credit for liberating India because he fit into the muh pacifism scheme, but that's what the nobel peace price is all about.
Is it because he hated nignogs?

You are saying that Hemingway is better than Faulkner: Yeats, Beckett, Mann, Eliot, Saramago, Kawabata and Márquez. You are the one with bad taste.

pretty happy. Anyone who disagrees is a bitter american novelist or a bitter american neckbeard. or both. That being said was kinda hoping delilo or pynchon would win one. I think they both deserve it.

Faulkner and Marquez are fucking shite, m8

>browses lit
>thinks Faulkner is shit
I think you got lost on your way to reddit friendo. Don't worry I'm sure you will find your way home.

It only confirms my belief that America has truly fucked itself in the ass, and Nobel's legacy has been squandered and wasted on political stunts for years now.

I said it back in 2012 and I'll say it again Vonnegut saw it coming (Harrison Bergeron), Orwell tried to warn us (1984) and Rand called it (Atlas Shrugged)

le

No he didn't asshat

>they like literature so surely they hold the nobel prize of literature in high regard