What is a foreign or obscure dish you want to try but cannot find?

What is a foreign or obscure dish you want to try but cannot find?

Other urls found in this thread:

annievang.com/content/how-make-khaub-piaj-homemade-rice-noodle-chicken-soup
youtube.com/watch?v=YH1nG11VBIs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Syrok

this asian dish
had some in minnesota
can't find it anywhere in seattle

I that that is supposed to be a Hmong (the Asians from Gran Torino) dish, here's a recipe for Khaub Piaj:

annievang.com/content/how-make-khaub-piaj-homemade-rice-noodle-chicken-soup

I'm from Seattle, I'm sure somewhere in the International District would sell it. Looks kinda like Congee, but I saw its a chicken noodle soup.

Hákarl. Also deer meat, even though I live in Russia where there are ethnicies who consume a lot of it, Moscow is too far away from these northern regions.

Not all that obscure, but haggis.

I had some of those at a Cuban restaurant in Santa Barbara, California. Shit was extra delicious.

That's some good looking pasta guys

Why do you have to "scoop the foam out" when you boil the chicken

If you don't know how to prepare venison it will taste like ass. It's definitely good if you know what you're doing.

I hear that the smell of Hákarl is far worse than its taste.

>can't find it in Seattle
>made by a small ethnic group
Just start making it yourself and start selling it
All the hipsters will eat it

Only if you LIKE the taste of piss-soaked fish.
It tasted like fishy ammonia.
It wasn't as mouth-encompassingly evil as the sursrtomming I tried, but it was still pretty fucking bad.

dim sum, but mostly because it's on the opposite side of houston and i don't want to drive an hour and a half to get it

I dont know why but it looks delicious

Ethiopian and Hawaiian food don't seem to be available in Singapore.

Oh, and poutine.

Wish I had an indian place nearby.

Hawaiian food doesn't encompass many things, user. Aside from boar, poi and a few other things.

just looks like rice noodles

went to an indian buffet near me

once you try indian once you'll have had enough for a long time, it's not that remarkable as it looks or sounds

Honestly, that's kind of the impression I've gotten, but I still want to try it to satiate my curiosity.

How far into the flyovers do you have to be for there to not be an Indian restaurant around?

If you have enough friends going with you, the occasional trip should be worth it. Never go for dim sum with less than four people, and eight is better.

Poutine is easy to make yourself. You can also substitute other cheeses if fresh curds aren't available.

"Other things" being Spam?

Isn't the flavour/texture of cheese curds (squeaky, I've read) what makes the dish?

I was trying to think more traditional, but yea like spam. Spam musubi, Moco Loco and....anything from Zippys I guess? It's hard for me to say what is and isn't Hawaiian food because you've got "local" food and then "Hawaiian" food, and the former is just....a nightmarish mishmash of all kinds of crap from the various immigrants here, mostly philipino and Japanese as well as light hints of Hawaiian. And then you've got actual hawaiian food like as I said, Kalua pork, Poi, this one dish whos name i forget, it's salt-fish and some other stuff wrapped in a leaf and steamed i think.

I WANT SCOTCH EGGS

you probably went somewhere shit then
i could eat biryani every day for the rest of my life

Those Brazilian "cochinhas" look fucking delicious. Imma go with that

It's better with fresh curds, and of course more authentic, but a grated mild cheese will still give you the right idea.

I doubt there are any Irish here right now, but are spice bags any good? If so, are there any good recipes for them?

I get at least one coxinha every time I go to the Brazilian bakery. They're like half a pound and $2. They also sell miniature frozen ones in bulk so you can make them at home.

Hawaiian Food

* Rice
* Spam
* Roasted Meat
* Macaroni Salad

That's about it.

A McChicken.

What country do you live in?

>poutine
always wanted it at a bar but they never have it
made some myself and it was pretty good
big steak fries are better than thin ones

>another name is elephant fruit and apparantly young elephants will play with a fruit for hours before swallowing it whole…….
aaanndd the fruit comes out the other end of the elephant with all of the insides of the fruit gone….with just a perfect round very hard empty shell of the fruit left (like a big brown ping-pong ball)….kids in sri lanka love to find one of these elephant processed fruits to play with……

#RIP sweet prince

*kalua pig
*lomilomi salmon
*poi
*haupia

You dumb cunt. Japanese-American fusion are popular in hawaii, not hawaiian food.

Nigger pussy

I always wanted to try Indian food but there were no places where I lived. I went to the next city over to try it and I'm OK with not eating it again.

I went to other Indian places thinking maybe it was the place but from place to place AND dishes, i was youtube testing things, food and drink, reading what's good but none of it was that good. I can never eat it again and be OK. Naan is OK though, but that's just bread, it doesn't count.

Could it be its not americanized? Chines food and Mexican food and Italian food, ect are and they taste great. But even the authentic food from those cultures is good. Idk what's with me and Indian food.

Oh basmati rice is good too.

youtube.com/watch?v=YH1nG11VBIs
Have a review. This guy has eaten some neat stuff that I really want to try.

I live in Bumfuck USA and can't find any authentic Chinese food, and I'm especially looking for Sichuan food. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE American-Chinese cuisine. But I had mapo doufu from a legit place once and it blew my mind. I need dan dan mian, shredded potatoes with peppers, double cooked pork, real gong bao ji ding... All looks/sounds fucking delicious and I can't find any of it in a sea of sugary sesame chicken and pork fried rice.

I want o try koala bear because I want to know if it tastes like eucalyptus

Not exactly a dish but I'd love to try edamame, which is impossible to get here.

This stuff.

a lot of south American food

Veeky Forumsanada fag here

where are you user? im in Canada and we can get it at a lot of grocery stores

Romanesco isn't obscure, or even tasty. It's boring.

god

It tastes like slightly grassier cauliflower.

Obscure in britbongland: poutine. I just can't find cheese curds no matter how hard I look.

You can make scotch eggs easy peasy, user. All you need is some pork mince.

a deep fried pear with worms in it?

Quebec cheese curds are what make poutine.. not trolling, are they available in France..?

One of those fancy noodle soups.

Only Asian shit you can get here is stir fry, Mongolian BBQ and Sushi.

Just ask your local chinese place to make it and offer to pay extra/provide extra ingrediants. A lot of times they'll smile and be happy to oblige in my experience.

oh god this was my favorite salgado, top tier

This. Even if it's not on the normal menu a lot of chinese places will happily make the "real deal".

Also, consider learning to make those recipes yourself.

Is baobab fruit any good?

They don't have to be from Quebec, they just have to be fresh curds as opposed to curds that have been pressed and aged to make standard cheese.

You ought to be able to get cheese curds from any place that makes cheese since they're the first step in the cheese-making process.

You can also make them yourself. Just google how to make cheddar cheese and ignore everything except the first few steps.

I want to try Ortolan at least once in my life. It's definitely one of the most interesting eating experiences that I've ever read about.

Don't care, I still wanna eat some before I die.

No longer legal. Even the French considered it so barbaric that they banned it.

If you're not totally flyover, go to a farmer's market and get some.

Actually it was pressure from conservationists. The population of ortolan apparently declined by 30% in the last couple decades.

Biltong, these South African jerky sticks I had when I went on safari. Our guide gave them to us as a snack along with coffee with a shot of Amarula. Fucking delicious.

In-N-Out burgers.

I'm pretty sure that photo is taken from the blog of the chef employed by the show Hannibal, who made her prop-ortolan out of marzipan

Trader Joes carried these for a few months and they were fucking delicious. They stopped carrying them and i'm pissed so I probably have to make my own.

Its "scum" it makes the stock taste pretty bad

these faces aren't birds'
f a k e

Where the hell do you buy curds anyway?

Bong here, they are disgusting.

How about mozzarella or halloumi?

aw really

That's about as retarded as making a judgement about another whole cuisine like Chinese or Thai based on one restaraunt buffet. India has numerous cooking styles and there are restaraunts of varying quality... my god.

Well, to be fair I am biased because I hate hard-boiled eggs (they are dry and have no flavour). But the smell of a scotch egg makes me fucking gag, it's the cheap meat you find in most ones. I guess if you made some yourself with good ingredients then it would be more tolerable.

I am afraid to invest in octoballs in my land locked city but they look ducking awesome.

Cheese shop. Most groceey stores here in Canada.

They are manna from heaven

Honestly it's a bunch of theater without much of an interesting experience food-wise. It pretty much tastes like quail, which is nice but not a life changer. Not that anything is wrong with a big production and secrecy and all that fun stuff, but speaking only of the food, it's no biggie.

They're mostly dough with small chunks of octopus in them - you don't need the freshest octo in the world. Go for it.

Find a better indian place somewhere my nigger.

If you go to a more upscale grocery store by you you should be able to find some.

Water

We can only recommend where to get spice bags, its not a recipe.
Id love to see a homemade venture though, feel free to pioneer that shit.

I get what you mean, a lot of those places throw loads of coriander and cumin in ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING. Gets old fast.

Thanks to weeb culture you can find places that sell them easily, I think it also helps a lot that the fish industry here is solid, do you live near the coast?

Giant Isopod

They're actually pretty shit. Blazing hot balls of dough with a micron of octopus inside.

It's street food. Just buy a fucking takoyaki pan and use frozen octopus. More upscale italian restaurants typically serve octopus so ask where they get theirs if you cant find it. You can probably use the takoyaki pan for other foods too if you decide you don't like it.

from Janice Poon's blog

I can't find kapsalon anywhere in my city.

That's just a shitty knockoff of donair poutine with veggies on it.

:( East coast sucks

sux to be u

Are these soup dumplings? They are everywhere in NYC

I'm assuming donair poutine is different though because donair sauce is sweet and kapsalon doesn't have gravy. Can anyone confirm if the garlic sauce in kapsalon is sweet or savoury?

That said, I haven't tried donair poutine either. They're a dime a dozen here too.

If I want to try a dish I make it. Not all of us are microwave chefs in moms rich black boyfriends basement.

pussy :/