Why didn't you tell me this was so good?

>tfw terrified of hell now.
>tfw i can't formulate my own (flawed) esthetics based on Aristotle and Aquinas theory even though i'm a 21y.o. uni student.
>Tfw reading his epiphany under the christmas tree.

Man was that first chapter comfy btw.

I'm not that well versed on aesthetics but isn't the bulk of his theory just a rehashing of disinterestedness?

Yeah, its super fucking comfy. Was not expecting to enjoy it as much as I did, and now its probably my favorite book.

I'm not even well versed enough on aesthetics to know the theory of disinterestedness.

I was suprised by the amount of comfy.
And joyce's prose is just GOAT tier.
Loved it.

>he wasn't terrified of hell by default

>tfw terrified of hell now.
Are you religious user? The number of religious people on Veeky Forums is fairly surprising.

Anyways now you should read Ulysses user, the fact that you liked Portrait so much means you'll probably love Ulysses immoderately

I'm Irish and completely unreligous and this did nothing to convince me otherwise

>board really likes story time
>surprising number of religious people
hm this might not be such a mystery but let's pretend it is anyway :3

I'm not religious at all, that was the scary part of the sermon. The sermon adressed the type of people who'd say "i'm not religious and don't believe in hell, so i don't have to be afraid of it" at lenght. The arguments the preacher made there about the devils taunting you for it, the eternity of hell etc, in relation to people who refuse to believe were a decent rhetoric. I could see who a sixteen year old would get scared senseless by it (as Stephen was). I could also see how grown men would ask themselves the question 'what if?' this is reinforced because the notion of 'lulling yourself back into comfortable non-believing' is adressed as well.

I'm not sincerely afraid of hell, but it sure did make me think of it for a while. And the torture described is horrible, i don't think i could come up with a more horrible fate than the one described by the preacher there.

And last but not least: i relate to Stephen's sins alot and allthough i don't adhere catholic morals i can see how i have debased myself on several occasions. The whole same aspect had a familiar ring to it there.

I quick read the second half of the Odyssey this morning (had 150 pages left). I started Ulysses a few hours ago, reading through the introduction of my brand new everymans library edition and almost finished up chapter one with a cup of hot cocoa with some cognac in it. I loved it.

>tfw sometimes Veeky Forums life is actually pretty wonderfull.

i also did not spellcheck this post.
Fuck you, i'm not sorry.

That little tacit syllogism isn't coherent, enjoying stories doesn't necessitate belief in their (foundational) veracity.

>I'm not sincerely afraid of hell
Ahh I see, you were being slightly facetious.

>although i don't adhere [to] catholic morals i can see how i have debased myself on several occasions
The feeling of "debasing yourself" would require that you breach a moral tenant/value that you've constructed yourself. What value did you violate that made you feel debased user?

YES YES YES. I'm reading this right now too and I'm floored by how good it is. It's my first Joyce, I bought the B&N classics with Portrait and Dubliners in the same book, doing Portrait then Dubliners. Enjoying it a ton, especially since I'm pretty entry level and this is my first time really reading for the prose.

And i'm not well versed on aesthetics philosophy or whatever but I've heard of it, and my wife is getting my ISOLT for Christmas which I hear is big on aesthetic philosophy or something, so I'll check this out.

I'm just getting to the part where it's his first autumn not having to go back to Closgowes and he's starting to feel a bit down/depressed and I am connecting with him way too much. Giddy as fuck tbqh senpai

To answer your question because ppl on this board are more concerned with shitposting about memes like DFW than genius talent like Joyce

>The voice of his youngest brother from the farther side of the fireplace began to sing the air Oft in the Stilly Night. One by one the others took up the air until a full choir of voices was singing. They would sing so for hours, melody after melody, glee after glee, till the last pale light died down on the horizon, till the first dark nightclouds came forth and night fell. He waited for some moments, listening, before he too took up the air with them. He was listening with pain of spirit to the overtone of weariness behind their frail fresh innocent voices. Even before they set out on life's journey they seemed weary already with the way. He heard the choir of voices in the kitchen echoed and multiplied through an endless reverberation of the choirs of endless generations of children and heard in all the echoes also of the recurring notes of weariness and pain. All seemed weary of life even before entering upon it. And he remembered that Newman had heard this note also in the broken lines of Virgilgiving utterance, like the voice of Nature herself, to that pain and weariness yet hope of better things which has been the experience of her children in every time.

utterly beautiful.
also why don't women like joyce? both irl and on goodreads it's almost always women bashing him. always makes me secretly angry tbqh

>why don't women like joyce?
yes I don't know possibly they think that Yes he must be so high and mighty and smart yes when he writes all that stuff I should read it because he wants people to read it yes so that they see how he is smart yes but what about his wife if any poor girl would ever want him yes she must be right a poor lady yes what does she say when he sits and writes all day long yes

>a book by and about an adament atheist didn't convert me

>tfw jaded atheist so the hell sermon part was more tedious than terrifying for me

This is kinda fucking ... gay. IMO. You can have another one if you want.

Then it's fascinating from a psychological perspective, fix your autism.

Get rekt by

Hey user, your comment was pretty fucking stupid. As this user points out.

In the case that this is not bait: I hate to say it user but: tips fedora much.

I breached the privacy of my friends and if only they knew they would be disgusted and shocked. Since i sincerely don't want to hurt the people i consider friends, i feel bad for well, breaching their privacy in the way i did and i feel even worse that i keep doing it. Selfcontrol is really an issue, there. I wouldn't harm a fly (accept if he starts it first, in which case come get it fucker) but still i feel bad because i can't seem to help doing it again and again.

Also: think fap guilt. I know fapping (when done in private, as i always do) isn't harmfull which is why i keep fapping to the things i fap to, but i still feel a little filthy whenever i cum to what it is i'm thinking about.

I know Joyce's stance on his on fart fetish and i'm all for the 'its all good as long it doesn't harm anyone' motto as far as sex is concerned, but still i'm sometimes disturbed by my own fetishes. Hey, at least i'm not a pedo, so i could do worse! (I never ever would think of acting out any of my fantasies by the way, plz don't arrest me fbi)

So yeah, that's why i feel like i've debased myself.

Your friends will find the cameras eventually.

Which edition of ISOLT are you getting?

I was thinking of buying the four volume everyman editions, but i just started Ulysses and i picked up Gravity's rainbow for 10euro's, so i'm good with doorstoppers till at least like February- March. Especially since i also have Doctor Zhivago still lying around.

Nice blowjob eyes, sweetheart.

One of my favourite novels of all time. The epiphany on the beach was the most exhilarating scene I've ever read, I was honestly leaping around the room after reading it.

Kek.
It's not like that user. No camera's.

On par with 'The Dead' and the rebelion chapter in The Brothers Karamazov as far as i'm concerned. So.. fucking.. beautifull.

>to live, to err, to fall, to triumph, to recreate life out of life!

>ISOLT
???

in search of lost time

daily reminder portrait is joyce's worst book

Fuck off with your acronyms, you lazy esoteric twats. If I find out even one of those letters represents an article or a preposition and should have been written in lowercase, then I'll huff, and I'll puff, and I'll push your shit in.

K.Y.S.

No shit you fucking downies also
>adamant atheist
No