Nordic Food Thread

Post and discuss Nordic cuisine.
Pic related, gravlax.

Other urls found in this thread:

dailymail.co.uk/femail/food/article-2864653/Like-slice-Rudolph-Christmas-lunch-Animal-rights-campaigners-furious-Lidl-stocking-reindeer-meat-does-taste-like.html
thejournal.ie/poll-reindeer-meat-2446924-Nov2015/
dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3932032/Backlash-reindeer-meatballs-pub-menu-run-Christmas.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_Jacob
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Please explain what im looking at

American of Danish birth here. I love me some gravlax, though I prefer to eat it with fresh dill & thinly sliced raw onion.

A piece of toasted bread. Gravlax (cured salmon) on top, with what looks like mustard and capers. Boiled egg on the side.

To be honest this does look too bad i just dont like that yellow shit smeared on it i feel like it something id have to be in the mood for

>mfw britbongs get mad about eating reindeer because of muh rudolph

That's a somewhat strong, slightly sweet mustard with dill on top. It's pretty good. I've seen jars of it sold at Ikea.

>Post and discuss Nordic cuisine.

why tho

Because it's underrated and delicious.

That is so pretty.
Is it Noma?

No idea

I find the "pretty" aspect of places like Noma and other "new Nordic" sorts of restaurants as being rather strange.

My family comes from Scandinavia. My parents grew up on a small farm, and honestly their life and diet was really about the same as someone from the US south. You had chickens, pigs, horses, and cattle on the farm. Vegetables were grown in the garden. Hams cured and put away for the winter. Root cellar. Canning, pickling, and curing was used to preserve vegetables for consumption out-of-season. Some of the exact types of food were different but there was a large amount of overlap and the same sorts of procedures were used to preserve foods for out of season. Go watch "Mind of a Chef" and it's scary how similar things are between Sean Brock (US South) and Magnus Nielsen (Nordic).

....but then you have places like Noma. The raw ingredients might be typical for Scandinavia, but the processes used & the presentation are totally different. I'm not complaining, I just find this rather interesting.

guess how I know you're lying

Do they though? I know some people are retarded, but surely it's not that much of a stretch to reindeer once you've had venison.

God tier

Beautiful.

Lapskojs. Also god tier.

Lufsa. Pretty much god tier.

Not the same user, but I'm curious. Do share, please.

They literally get mad about it every single year.

dailymail.co.uk/femail/food/article-2864653/Like-slice-Rudolph-Christmas-lunch-Animal-rights-campaigners-furious-Lidl-stocking-reindeer-meat-does-taste-like.html
thejournal.ie/poll-reindeer-meat-2446924-Nov2015/
dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3932032/Backlash-reindeer-meatballs-pub-menu-run-Christmas.html

no its not

that bad boy needs some lingonberry jam

is the board for gore

Smoked deer heart.
Pure ambrosia.

Lamprey.
The GOAT beer snack.

lol, what do you think I'm lying about?

Autumn stew without chanterelle and lingon is heresy.

Janssons temptation.
Gratin with potato and anchovies and somehow absolutely amazing.

Lamb violin.
Leg of lamb smoked with juniper.

Macaroni boiled in milk.
This is what absolute trash eats and it's our glorious nations greatest shame.

Kek.
I'll contribute: herring on rye bread with red onions. Especially popular around Easter, so now's a fitting time to post this.

Omg I want to try that.

>gravlax
>nordic

Nice try, Rabbi Schicklegruber

>The raw ingredients might be typical for Scandinavia, but the processes used & the presentation are totally different.

That's because it's a fine dining presentation which is a system that rose out of France post revolution, when unemployed chefs and nobles servants parlayed their skills into a new industry that promised to allow the common man to experience dining as the super elite had.

The arranging of the food is all part of the theatre intended to sell that experience. All fine dining shares it's root with the French system, with the exception of molecular which often purposefully lampshades the traditions to be cheeky.

You aren't supposed to 'eat' that fish, you're supposed to taste it and experience it. It's meant to be a focus for all the senses

Being a poorfag and a fatty, I hate it. I'd rather have good rustic food.

when sweden finally got bananas

Is it tender? What would you eat it with? Root vegetables or on a sandwich or what?

Are these whole fish, bones and all like tinned sardines? What's the marinade or coating on them? Or is that just their natural colour after grilling? Since you're saying they're a great beer snack I assume they're quite salty.

Just about everything ITT looks delicious btw.

Bones and yams?

is that peanuts? what is that thing?

Pitepalt > kroppkakor

no thread complete without it

From Texas, I spent a lot of time over the last few years in sweden and norway. I fucking love their liver paste, the tinned herring from norway, and all the different ways of tinning fish and other things with various ingredients i learned in sweden.

Also, there were tons of black and yellow chanterelles and blueberries growing in the fall, and lots of wild reindeer and pig sausage. 10/10 would go back if my gf didnt dump me couple months ago

noma also has a massive focus on food preservation. they do pickling and fermentation and shit. it's a fine dining restaurant though. also most places in scandinavia are not like the southern US, kek.

You Nords are weird. We nake milk steak with jelly beans, rare, of course.

>the tinned herring from norway
you either mean mackerel or sardines. I hope.

On top of that, I remember finding some things called Blek taggsvamp, and I found a huge patch of these other things that were called i think Citronengulling. They were slimy yellow on the top and you peeled it off and it had a great lemony mushroom flavor in the rest of it. I sauteed them and rolled them into a pastry dough and made some mushroom pasties.
All the old people got up super early and grabbed all the Karl Johan before I had a chance, but I found one big guy out in the deep.

yeah, it was mackerel, sorry. you could buy them for like 3 bucks either in tomato sauce or oil and they were super delicious.

I ate like 1.5 kilos of that during Easter

can i request some nice nordic recipes with meat as a main ingredient?

this is some of the brown and yellow chanterelles

you have that numale look, user

Rare opinion: mämmi is fucking delicious and doesn't really look that bad. I tried it first a few days ago, but sadly i was in Helsinki for only one day and idk when will i come back. 10/10 would return just for this great Finnish speciality

Why do you have tits and a beard? Are you FtM?

you have very æsthetic hands btw

no i think my pockets were full of mushrooms desu, although i wouldnt mind a nice pair of boobs.
thx

The heart is a delicacy, not a meal, you eat it as is.

The lampreys are whole and there's no marinade.
They're prepared by throwing a shitload of live ones in a bucket or whatever, covering with a fuckton of coarse salt and stirring til dead.
You hastily remove the frothy salt coating with your hands before grilling.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_Jacob

With cream and some sugar, it's great.

A milk steak should be boiled over hard, you disgusting pleb.

Stekta kantareller på en hård brödbit med saltat smör är guld kant
Annars är trattisar fan numero uno i powerranking

Best bread.

Du skriver ihop powerranking men av någon outgrundlig anledning så tycker du att guldkant ska särskrivas.

Ber om ursäkt, kom precis hem från jobbet och ska precis lägga mig så är lite sliten. Har även en släng av dyslexi och rättstavningsprogrammet verkar inte ta särskrivningar.

Nej, jag kallar det för svensk utbildning.

Ehhh, orka bli upprörd på ett anonymt forum. Varför sitter du förresten här en fredag kl 13? Har inte du något jobb att dra till?=

sweddit snälla gå

Prata engelska eller dü.

No, but how many chickentendies are you getting today for being such a good neetboi?

Nog för en livstid. Gå ut och tjäna lite pengar åt mig nu, löneslav.

Better pic of what OP was trying to show off.
Its really, really good. One of my favorite dishes in the world, gravad lax, served as it is or with romsås (basically sour cream and roe) or hovmästarsås (a mild, sweet mustard based sauce).

delete this

for me it was just sweet enough by itself, but it tasted equally good paired (not mixed) with sour berries ice cream. I've found some recipes and now i'm thinking about trying to make mämmi myself, ingredients and cooking method seem really easy

Another good swedish dish, pickled herring (not surströmming) and potatoes. It may not look like much, but the simple flavors mix really well, and the fresh potatoes tastes a lot more than your average potato.

is that sour cream? in russia we don't put sour cream and herring in the same dish, but we too enjoy pickled herring + boiled potatoes + additionally red onions and dill.

It's sour cream. Tradition is the deciding factor I guess. In my head sour cream and herring goes perfect together. We do use red onion sometimes, as well as chives.

Jesus Christ do you people not believe in fucking vegetables?

sandwich cake is best cake

there are 3 posts in this thread without vegetables.

Thank you for confirming that scandifags don't understand vegetables

what vegetables would you accept?

please point out the three dishes in this thread that has no vegetables, then I can explain why most of the rest are in all practical effect, also without vegetables

Of course we eat vegetables, this is traditional scandinavian food that's not eaten very often. The traditional cuisine mostly contains root-plants as the vegetable of choice.

in winter, yes. In spring time fresh greens is the thing. I'm gonna harvest a ton of skvallerkål this weekend.

and in june the wild strawberries ripen up

birch leaves for tea should be picked before mid may

same with dandelion

This is mashed roots.
It contains carrots, parsnip and rutabalaga or whatever the fuck it is you call it.

Liver paste with pickles is lovely.

there's the smoked heart, the lamprey and the macaroni

>That's because it's a fine dining presentation which is a system that rose out of France post revolution....

Yes, I know the origins of it. It just seems like an odd mismatch to combine that kind of fancy presentation with such rustic roots. Then again, that may be the point?

>also most places in scandinavia are not like the southern US, kek.

Clearly. I wasn't talking about the status quo, I was talking about the historical roots. What was typical home cooking until, perhaps, the 1950's or so.

>not sliced gherkins

>Are these whole fish, bones and all

Yes, those are whole fish. The ones in that photo are clearly smoked.

I haven't had lamprey like that, but I have had mackerel, herring, and eel prepared like that many times with family in Denmark.

We'd open up the cavity of the fish where it had been gutted. It will then flop open like a book, with the two fillets on either side and the spine down the middle. After smoking they are so tender that you can just lift the bones off and discard them. Then you pick the meat up off the skin (likewise, the meat just lifts off) and place it on a piece of bread (or however else you want to eat it).

Can't they just call it caribou, or is the entire point eating reindeer at chtistmas?

For that matter, how sure are we that this isnt manufactured outrage for publicity/to draw in the curious?

All these replies yet none posting lutfisk yet? Does it not exist over there anymore? My mormor always made it during the holidays. Shit is delicious.

The lamprey is eaten whole, guts, bones and all.
Sissies usually skip the head though.

caribou is an American animal. Reindeer is a Euroasian animal. Those links are to British media and concerns reindeer.