Is radiohead memeing?

i understand this is /mu/ material but id like to have a philosophic discussion on it?

at what point is modern life "insincere" or "robotic" and when is it just different. sure, you shouldn't live one way just because society tells you to, but are the lyrics in the song even detrimental to people?

song is fitter happier from ok computer for those under a rock

Totem and taboo

there's obviously a divide between the benefit and detriment of societal influence, sometimes stark, sometimes ambiguous and controversial, but I think Radiohead was just examining that fact and bringing it to the attention of the listener that it societal influences are ultimately at the mercy of the individual.
What's worse than a society that encourages mediocrity is an impressionable and passionless individual that falls for it and throws his life away because he was told to

>at what point is modern life "insincere" or "robotic"
Countless examples. From your fake smile 9 to 5 to your loveless keeping-up-appearances marriage.

Fitter happier was a self indulgent Yorke whinge written without much effort, but it deals with the idea that society's materialistic metrics of success are existentially unfulfilling. If you take a step back from generic self improvements the song mentions and examine them, you realize the endgame is healthy, comfy mediocrity as mentioned. It's kind of horrifying on some level. The mantra of a healthy lifestyle of moderation makes you the prisoner (id) and warden (superego) of your own self.

how would one discern a mediocre lifestyle from a fulfilling one? is it simply up to the person themselves?

its about the notions of capitalist "Self-improvement" being pushed on people so that they moniter themselves and their habits and become their own wardens. "Look at me! I watch what I eat and sleep 8 hours a day so that i can be more PRODUCTIVE and get more stuff DONE".

those things (working out, eating healthy, wanting to do work and put effort into things) arent bad in and of themselves, but its about the way theyre pushed on people in a capitalist society, to moniter themselves and turn themselves into well-oiled machines, chasing happiness by picking up habits that make them more productive and better employees but have it continually elude them.

but honestly, whats the alternative

just b yourself

Not him/her, but I suppose the exact same thing but taking out the social masturbation factor?

Not being spooked.

Did Thom read Foucault?

communism

Is the music any good though?

top 10 contemporary band.

All these things are pushed on us as "good" not for our benefit, but for the benefit of those we earn profits for. So we're better resources. Or simply because it gets us to spend more money (we're never good enough)

you need to listen to more bands and stop going for the memes

Give us the names some top 10 contemporary bands then you goon

->/mu/

That's just avoiding the question. You're bumping a thread that dosn't belong here just by replying.

Fast food and hard drugs

You bumped, I saged. Go bother /mu/.

I bumped because I'm interested - even if it dosn't belong here.