Why do YOU read, lit?

Why do YOU read, lit?

this is maybe the worst thread-starting question I've ever seen

I like the Bougereau though

Why don't you just stab me to death user. That is an easier death than those words.

Yeah, the question is kinda weird. Literature is a medium like every other and has exclusive stories I want to consume, that's why I read, I guess.

I read as a replacement to women. You see, I'm ugly.

I love you, user

There is no anime of Karamazov

pls read

to give my life just enough meaning and purpose to stave off the call of the void.

life's hard, fantasy is an easy escape. entertainment through reading is always nice too.

Is there truly a difference between entertainment and escapism?

Helps my memory.

yes. sometimes we read to live through someone else's eyes. sometimes we read with every single shitty thing that has happened in our lives still fresh in our minds and simply apply it in a funnier light in reading. at least that's what i do.

Because I think somehow it will impress girls when they see my shelf of big, thick, intellectual books.

Also because I just like learning about 'the human experience' as told though literature. It really makes you think.

>using the same word twice in different sentences
fucking abhorrent

can't not, my dude

Because i'm trying to create a cool bookshelf

Also I've heard its good for you, trying to better myself by not playing games or jacking it, so I read.

>Not masturbating and laughing during all your free time

Because it allows me to live adventures through others, since it is unlikely that I will do anything as exciting as the characters of the books I read.
And this.

because I haven't figured out life yet and it's either reading or watching movies or going places but I'm too stupid for figuring stuff out on my own so I expect some other much smarter person than me to tell me all about life so I can then go places and know yes this is life. pretty stupid now that I think about it

Recently my reason to read was that it inspires me to make music. It evokes certain emotions and ideas in me and then I can clearly see what my next composition should be about.
I don't have to think and choose my musical ideas so they are precisely tailored to the subject, they come about more naturally. Of course afterwards I have to make sure they are consistent with each other and fit together, and about the whole structure of the piece.
The music I make acquires much more meaning this way, and a right amount of notes.

I started when I wanted to fit the image of the young intellectual

Then I staid because I genuinely liked the Veeky Forums lifestyle and began to really appreciate literature. It's a very powerful medium.

i started reading because my grandparents made me. i kept reading because i felt like an idiot and i wanted to know more. now i read because i am a friendless neet and aspiring writer looking for inspiration.

to increase my smv if i am honest

Broadens my knowledge about issues I find interesting, and read opposing views to better try and figure out where the one arguing is coming from.

Also its entertaining, I can devour a book in a week or so, for other mediums they're down in several hours.

Similarly I started reading because I also wanted to be the "young intellectual". I admit there is still that identity of being a "reader" or "smart guy" I aspire to, but these days I'm not really trying so hard. The more I read the more I'm inspired to read. It's a cycle that feeds itself, so even the insecure teenagers that want to be intellectuals will eventually become, at the very least, well read in their attempts to impress others.

I read because im a fucking pseudo.

And this

I read to forget.
How ironic.

For fun.

I stopped playing video games and watching tv. I have no friends and don't go outside.

That is why I read

If it weren't for mathematics and reading, I'd probably have killed myself, desu. They're the only things that stave off the terrible loneliness and depression. Greeks + The Bible saved my life. They also help me learn things for work/school far more easily and give me extra sex appeal, although I don't really have trouble with women and just choose to be single

has anyone here ever read Garshin?

For fun
To feel a connection to a deeper part of society and experience you dont really get with surface human interaction

I thought this was solely an image for Oblomov. Thanks for informing me.

To feel superior to everybody else.

To BE superior to everybody else.

It's working.

I'm also getting Veeky Forums.

>Tfw too strong to turn the pages without tearing them out

For fun.
And because reading is the only way of not being a complete ignorant.

It's the best hobby

I want to meet a qt from the distant past in her time and beat the pussy up

I considered killing myself but then recognized that there were still books to be read

almost purely to feel productive & less worthless. If only I read then I can be smart then I can be worth love. Ironically my gf doesn't read and could careless if I were smart. So I guess I'm doing it for the strangers I'll never meet.

Because Im shit at my native language and it also helps my sleep deprivation

>could care less

you weren't lying, you are not smart

to get better at writing/learn words

for fun

everyone in real life (especially in Louisiana) is stupid and evil. the people in books are great/entertaining

to show people im smart and superior to them

I want to be more cultured and knowledgeable so I can get a gf.

Because I'm Schizophrenic
But keep it on the Down Low

i like it

:^)

literature is fun

Gains for the brains, making it brehs.

No kino either, sadly

Because it's a better hobby than vidya games.

Exactly this user. I will never be able to exhaust the list of great-to-good books that have ever been written in history, let alone those in their native languages, so I may as well live as long as I can

Kek

So I can win internet arguments.

Because I enjoy it.
I honestly do not consider it any different from my other hobbies but I tend to indulge in it a lot since there's so much that you can read.
I just love reading edgy and dark shit and luckily that's abundant in 19/20th century literature.

Reading is the only activity that gives me pleasure that I can do in public.

It helps me think clearly. When I read a really good book, it's like my thoughts and feelings that I didn't even know I had become more neatly organised. Also it's an escape from my fairly boring life.

A voracious, insatiable curiosity which has graced me since conception, or possibly earlier.

>this
also nice dubs

I don't read anymore.
I spend my free time shit posting instead

>tfw the only reasons one should devote their life to literature are deformity or disease that prevent participation in more noble pursuits

to pursue meaning and understand this confusing seemingly meaningless world i live in

Buy a trenchcoat

>overthink things
>become so anxious that I almost feel sick
>start reading
>feel better

Most hones answer here.

Reading is a way to restructure your brain and can make you a better person, along with many other benefits which are not enough for a normal person to start a reading habit.

I started reading to just get what the fuss was about, to connect on a level that is fundamentally impossible in real life.

Then I started adding in non-fiction books to my schedule and I guess it's just to learn new things that are outwith my comfort zone.

I read so I can write better.

Because it's fun and I'm easily bored.

I don't know who I am and what defines me as an individual. I started reading as a hobby to create a personality.

I don't have cable, most..not all..but most network TV sucks, or is at least unsatisfying to me.

I like good characters, and good wordplay.

I'm enjoying podcasts and good audio programming the older I get, but that will probably never replace reading as my primary source of mental masturbation.

truth of the thread

I used to have this terrible hobby of turning every novel I read that I enjoyed into a manga. I believe I tried making one for Dostoyevsky's Notes from Underground. I even made one for No Longer Human before the official manga adaptation. A dark period of my life

I don't read. I hate reading.

Whenever I do it, it's usually cause I've isolated myself (and am so cowardly) and have made myself so dead to the world that its the least unenjoyable thing for me to do at the moment

Because it's there.

It spurs thoughts and insights that make life more interesting.

Books > Vidya > Film