Why does Chef John add cayenne to every dish?

why does Chef John add cayenne to every dish?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/UMGbDz-Vgxw
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

believes a little heat "wakes up" the rest of the flavors.

like it makes your taste beds more receptive.

cuz it's good

like how Thai food has all 5 flavors in everything

besides he hardly puts any in his dishes

At this point I think he mostly does it for the meme. That or he just really likes cayenne. Can't really blame him for that.

because you are the rain man of your cayenne, OP

Chef john response/10
Beautiful

literally both of these

more importantly why does he speak like a retard

cayenne is very healthy for you

This is the better question. Great channel, I like the recipes he chooses, etc. but god damn is his voiceover a hurtle to get over.

9.3/10

love chef john

I don't mind his voice, but I've found theres no reason to ever watch recipes videos at anything less than 1.25x and he sounds pretty normal when you're listening at atleast that speed

It sucks. His tone used to be a bit sardonic but as he got more popular he got way more cheerful and commercial

I like adding cayenne over pepper tbqh

It adds heat without alterating the flavor

It's more so his intonation. It's not natural. Like, some of his speaking patterns are worthy of speech therapy.

People add salt to most dishes, why not cayenne? It's heat that doesn't fuck with the flavor too much.

similarly to how spice is used to clear sinuses. it probably has the physical effect of clearing sinuses and allowing you to perceive more flavor. there is also the saying "you cant taste the sweet without the spice"

cause his wife's son likes it

Ok so according to Veeky Forums:
>Jack is a cuck
>John Townsend is a cuck
>Chef John is a cuck
Are there any YouTube channels not run by cucks?

Lel, say what you want but Chef John is not the type to be into cucking. J. Kenji Lopez-Alt on the other hand...

As someone who actually cooks a lot and got a decent understanding with it

Cayanne and other peppers are going to make you actually think about what you are tasting. It's an awareness thing.

I'm the same way with paprika.

Youtube is cuck central it's owned by a cuck search engine and anyone that uses services from it's ecosystem are also cucks.

Because he's chef john, and chef john does what he wants, so fuck you.

Why did we decide black peppercorns were such a universal spice?

Why shouldn't cayenne also come in a shaker at the table?

Cayenne is a strong strong flavor that only works in very small amounts as a subtle enhancement

Peppercorn goes on fucking everything

Bruno Albouze

Chef John is too much of an alpha to get cucked.

Townsend on the other hands, is a grade-A cuck.

It's 2015 in this thread, apparently.

Because he likes it, you mong.

Why the fuck do you people have to shit on his voice so much? Like goddamn, it's not like he can help it. It makes him pretty fucking unique in my opinion.

He can help it. He chooses to speak that way. In his older videos he sounds like an ordinary guy.

His affectations are great though, as long as you have a soul. He wouldn't speak that way if most people didn't like it.

>you are after all, the king cuck of your peking duck
what did Chef John mean by this?

If you aren't used to it, it can be really grating to hear somebody talk with such incomplete phrasing in their intonation. It's like ending a song on an interrupted cadence, it's uncomfortable to listen to.

"His" son literally black lmao. But I do like his recipes

If you ever wanted proof that nobody on Veeky Forums knows how to cook, look no further than the fact that most people here love Chef John.

I've only looked at two of his videos. The first was lasagne, where instead of a bechamel he did some sort of weird egg and cheese layer.

The second was a pancake recipe, where he completely messed up the shape of the pancake by not pouring in enough batter, so it didn't cover the bottom of the pan. What's worse, he flips them with a spatula and thinks that people only flip them in the air on TV.

What a fucking pleb, he literally can't cook for shit. He's barely above Jack tier.

>muh authenticity
kys

Literally no reason not to faggit

What are you talking about? Nothing I said was about authenticity, he just cooks everything wrong.

You need to kill yourself.

If it tastes good, why is it wrong?

Oh yeah, because it doesn't adhere to what you consider authentic. Again, kys.

Fuck off, Townsend.

He's literally making a different dish. Lasagne consists of layers of ragu, bechamel and pasta sheets. I don't know what the fuck he made, maybe it even tastes good, but he shouldn't be calling it lasagne.

As for the pancakes, he just completely messed up the presentation. Go look at his pancake video (for some reason he calls them "crayps", if I got served pancakes like that in a restaurant I'd send them back. And the fact that he doesn't flip them just highlights his general lack of cooking finesse.

His hot chicken recipe yielded nice results, although I did have to modify the sauce recipe to make it spicy enough

because black pepper and salt are baseline flavor enhancers that, provided they are used at the right time in prep/cooking, never fail to enhance any dish.

capsicum-derived spices impart their own flavor without necessarily enhancing the flavors you want to taste in the dish. it's also important to add sweetness to a spicy dish to co-enhance the spice flavor. this alone prevents it from being a universal addition.

the closest thing to what you're looking for is probably the preponderance of two separate pepper types in sichuan cooking: the sichuan peppercorn--numbing--and the chili pepper--warming. this combination is used in _a lot_ of sichuan dishes. certainly not universal.

even glutamic acid--a universal flavor enhancer unto itself--isn't added to every dish because many of the ingredients will provide it and be enhanced by the salt and pepper. cayenne won't really aid this.

and specifically re: shakers, uncooked dry spices aside from salt and pepper tend not to taste good or dissolve in saliva.

At least he doesn't sound like this:

youtu.be/UMGbDz-Vgxw

>you can't make it a whole minute

>he mostly does it for the meme.

this

>vegan

Stopped right there...

>you can see how healthful this recipe is: no dairy, no cream, no fat. Just water, tahini
>no fat
>just tahini

Meh - I've seen worse. Maybe you are triggered by the vegan recipe?

because it's good, pleb

I find it endearing. Why does everyone have to talk the same way?

The sliders themselves are actually pretty good, I found this when looking for new ways to make falafel. The vegan thing doesn't bother me, it's just that voice that sounds like it had to have been modified somehow.

>taste beds

Hmm, can't say that she sounds particularly unpleasant but that's of course very subjective.
There are some female talking heads on YT that sound like an angle grinder. She doesn't have that high pitched angry voice some of them have.

>female talking heads on YT that sound like an angle

Not Veeky Forums related, but here's a good example. Like nails on a chalkboard.

>bechamel

Fuck you commie, this is America.

i think he probably did it as a nervous tic when he first started then just came naturally