There exist people who dog-ear their books

>There exist people who dog-ear their books
>There exist people who bend books in half so they can hold it open with one hand
>There exist people who rip pages out of books

Why?

Why do people feel the need to do this? I can understand why illiterate barbarians might, but there exist people who call themselves "Readers" who actually do this shit.

>virgin detected

>there are people who view their mass market paperbacks as sacred

why do you need to bend a book in half to hold it in one hand?
just hold it in the middle

You're right, the physical object of a book is a lot more important than the words it holds or the experience of reading them

A reader is just someone who reads, you fucking cuck

I really like 20 bucks this year and I've burned books have ripped Pages out of books I put cigarette butts out inside books Bentham thrown up smash them put them in fucking cigarette Ash and water and got them all nasty and the pages stick together

why are people treating the possessions they bought like shit?
You don´t even have to look at books for that like op just go and look at people treating expensive shit like phones and similar stuff

Sense of power

>there are people who read books that arent in English

a lot worse desu

>fetishism

What is going on here?

Not as bad as people who read translations

Ever burned a book?

Such a liberating experience

>another episode of user putting material objects on a pedestal
I understand this if you're dealing with a rare copy of a book that is no longer sold or produced, but complaining about people "mistreating" their mass-produced copy?

>There exist people who underline books as they read so they don't lose their place if they have to stop in the middle of the page

I refuse to believe anyone is that autistic

I can understand underlining certain quotes, but underlining stops? Just fucking finish the page and bookmark the next page

I know user. Wouldn't it be insane if someone were to do that.

I burned the fountainhead and atlas shrugged. Might do the same with Infinite Jest.

I don't have 3 bookmarks to use on Infinite Jest, you turbo-negro

I dog-ear and bend the spines of my books all the time. However, I have seen law students rip pages out of library books just so they would have an advantage over other students, and I had to control myself not to punch them in the fucking face.

>being this materialistic

co to za książka

some people dont care because they just buy books to read em and not display them in their shelves so some bimbo thinks ur smart

I dont do it but it doesnt strain the wrist and hand as much

Whats wrong with preserving a book for future use?

Since when did dog-earing a book obliterate it?

Dogearing and underlining are fine, but folding it in half, tearing out pages, or spreading some substance on the pages is unforgivable.

How is bending the corner of a piece of paper treating a book like shit?

Chances are if you treat what you're reading in a bad way it's not worth reading. If you have no respect for what you're holding then it's likely garbage. I have no doubt the bigger culprits of this are genre fiction readers. There's a certain reverence that should be had when reading a piece of art. Anything else is barbaric and you're clearly out of place and should find a new hobby.

Would you make an exception for periodicals?

Well, what the fuck else do I do? I can't read Russian. Or French. Or Spanish. Or Japanese.

i don't give a fuck if people dog ear the pages or fold the book or anything but it triggers the fuck out of me when people write all over the margins and underline shit

fucking makes it absolutely unreadable and honestly when has there ever be insightful commentary written in the margins of a book? it's always pseuds too

Off the top of my head, there is the origin of Fermat's Last Theorem.

I once had a prof who tore the pages out of a book as he read them.

>not ripping out each page after you read it

kek

I once saw a dude on the subway to did that but he ate the pages of his book after he tore them out.

pic related was the book, same edition

Learn Russian, French, Spanish and Japanese.

My God, is people really this stupid?

>Hurting the papers imaginary feelings some how means the words lose their meaning and importance

How old are you that you went to law school before all the materials needed for law school courses outside of required texts were available on West Law or LexisNexis?

>licking your greasy sausage fingers to turn the page
>every time you turn a page

>Here's your book back user!
>no I didn't finish it lol

Who cares about paper backs? The books gonna get fucked up anyway given a few years, get hardcovers if you want books that don't look like shit or fall apart after reading them a dozen times.

But i dont have any French, fussian or fapanese people to practice with?!

>buy my own book
>use it how i please
ask your hooker mom how she didnt like getting fucked in the ass but always did because she was property

>he has been seduced by those features of the book that serve to carry its exchange-value rather than those qualities that make it unique.

Reading books in the bath is top notch, try it out

>>There exist people who bend books in half so they can hold it open with one hand

If it's a mass market paperback I'm bending the fuck out of it. It gets tiring holding them open if you don't.

as a corollary to , being irritated by the treatment of the book seems like a sign that OP cares more about the behaviors that surround reading (the pose assumed) more than the content

>there are people who still read books
>in 2016

Seriously unless you are forced to do it to learn an important subject why would you waste your time reading books? There are video games, film, TV, anime, cell phone apps. Reading is outdated and a relic of the past.

>there are people who actually think like this regardless if bait or not

I remember this one bitch in high school who did this with literally every book.

Even the math textbook with it's hardcover, she'd fold it in half then place it on her desk

because you are irreparably damaging it

I don't think anyone actually rips pages out of books, r-right?

>people do things i don't like
>reeeeeeee

Ah, a textbook normie appearing with his meme image.

Delightful.

That is the best you could come up with?

>I venerate the physical form of the book to replace the idols of the god I'm too good to worship

Ideas > Paper

If it's easier to read it, anything that doesn't deliberately obliterate the information contained in the book is fine. Take your religious tendencies

muh precious paper

This is a meme vortex where every post just makes the discussion more meme worthy

It says more about the non literary aspects of a person if they treat their own shit terribly, in the same way those images of messy NEET rooms do.

Mass market ppbs are a waste of space and paper. I want to burn all of them.

>tfw Chang keeps folding the codex the opposite way

fucking barbarian

>irreparably damaging it
since when was folding a corner of a page on the same level as burning it?

i never said it is the same
i just said you are damaging it to such a degree that it is impossible to repair
which is a fact since you are breaking the paper making you unable to ever fully reverse it

no you're not
you're just folding it

you are literally breaking the fibers of the paper if you fold it

Hell yes

is that a statement or a question?

There are people out there that don't treat books with the ridiculous amount of sanctity that others do. That's Been out of style since everyone had a printing press.

Oh no I'll never be able to bend that corner of the page again.

If all you care about is reading thne you don't need people to practice with.