I'm very interested in Heidegger. I've read about his philosophy in other books which mention it in a casual way...

I'm very interested in Heidegger. I've read about his philosophy in other books which mention it in a casual way, or to make a contrast between other modes of thought.

What are some essential works to read before reading Being and Time?

How familiar are you with german philosophy? I'd recommend being at least somewhat familiar with the ideas of Husserl, Hegel, Schelling, Kant, Nietzsche, and Aristotle, but it's not like you need to have read the entirety of each of their books to get a feel for Being and Time, as the latter is fairly self-enclosed as far as philosophy works go. Just get a feeling for the groundwork of phenomenological thought prior to Heidegger, Husserl in particular but also Kant and Hegel for an understanding of idealism and the idea of noumena that Heidegger was trying to jettison himself from

The other important one you need is Descartes because the whole shit about 'dasein' is so Heidegger doesn't have to deal with problems re: Cartesian "subjects"

this is a pretty good list.

seriously OP. just crack open being and time and see if you understand it. youre probably not going to. thats ok. keep reading the prerequisite material until it kind of makes sense.

>What are some essential works to read before reading Being and Time?

Edmund Husserl

And once you're done with him, you've no need to read Heideggar

I took a seminar on heidegger this semester with my previous experience with philosophy being that of logic, political philosophy, and intro to philosophy as the only courses I'd ever taken, not to mention all of them two years before this semester, the only reason I could take the class was b/c of transfer class misalignment. I have a perfect score on each assignment so far so take it for what it's worth. I couldn't tell you anything about philosophy prior to the course. He's pretty clear about what he says once you learn his goofy vocabulary. I wouldn't recommend jumping into Being and Time but you can. This guy knows what he's talking about.This guy doesn't

>I'm a self admitted ignoramous so let tell you with authority what the deal is

smug

My professor was literally the writer (note not someone who "learned" from the writer), of one of the standard Phenomonelogy Textbooks and most works by Husserl.

Nice try kid.

Some knowledge of the history of philosophy preceding will definetely help, since Heidegger is really addressing the entire western philosophical tradition. That being said; know your basic Aristotle, Descartes, Kant. And Husserl too. Then you'll be mostly set. Once you get around his vocabulary he is actually pretty clear. Can't say he's an obscurantist.

my professor was Heidegger and I likterally have a 5.0 gpa consisting entirely of classes taught by Hiim. That's probably more than you can say, faggot

this. One thing I would actually recommend someone beginning with Being and Time and without having a strong grounding in philosophy, is to read the wiki article on Heideggerian terminology. That sounds like charlatanism recommending to read a wikipedia page, but trust me it will help you make sense of some of his diction if you're going in raw.

I am Heidegger so stfu kid.

I am the son of H's unknown bastard child that Arendt birthed in secrecy. I literally have the German maestros blood flowing through my veins and his genius genes fuelling my masterful mind.

Nice try, plebbokid

Obsolete in the sense of everything of value Heideggar had to say. Where he diverged is useless

Oh shit.

What is his more redpill work? Did he write anything on SJWs and how to defeat them? That's what I'm interested in.

I'm this user's dad.

Hannah, or Mutti as I called her, literally told me what Heidegger said all his work was about.

She said the crafty old bugger was just throwing out a red herring when he claimed Sartre had misinterpreted him. Ol' lazyeye was right on the mark. Hell is other people. Question everything?

he wrote some good reactionary stuff like Building Dwelling Thinking and The Question Concerning Technology, but nothing as facile as what you're looking for

I'd really recommend starting with Inwood's introduction to Heidegger and then if you're going to read BaT keep Inwood's Heidegger dictionary at hand because fuck he refuses to use words properly.

Honestly I think the best place to start is Poetry, Language, Thought (Hofstader translation) because it gives you a chance to learn how to read Heidegger before plunging into BaT. After Heidegger make sure you read Gadamer, who was a student of Heidegger and a much clearer writer, he has essays explaining in detail what H. was trying to say.

>Getting intellectually curbstomped so hard you have to delete all your posts

Thank you all very much