Mexican Vs. Tex-Mex

Which taco reigns supreme Veeky Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

grist.org/article/masa/
infobae.com/america/mexico/2017/04/06/la-tortilla-mexicana-en-crisis-menos-nutritiva-y-con-menos-ventas/
reuters.com/article/us-mexico-corn-certification-idUSKBN1790I2
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

All tacos are Tex-Mex. Real Mexican food is boring and bland. Do either of those look like they taste boring or bland?

You could add "store-bought" to everything on both fucking tacos. And corn tortillas are nasty.

The image is obviously trying to be insulting to Tex-Mex by implying that all Tex-Mex uses store bought rather than home made, which is asinine.

This image is meant to be an argument starter.

Wow, what a shitty, biased infographic.

pleb alert

Mexicans not buying food and ingredients from grocery stores and doing literally everything from scratch is the weirdest fucking stereotype

Ok, so taco bell tacos are true mexican cuisine? This chart is fucking bad.

>but its authentico
corn tortillas are greasy trash. they overwhelm and ruin the taste of everything inside.

I love all tacos as everyone should. Picking one kind indicates that you have serious mental deficiencies

The image is shit. There are a variety of Mexican tacos. Tacos arabes use flour tortillas, for example. And most Mexican tacos don't come with a layer of salsa on them. You add that if you want it. Mexican tacos usually come with chopped onion and cilantro on top of the meat.

I will admit I've been to Texas several times, and was not a fan of the style of Mexican food there. Just too heavy overall, and too cheeseburger-like - flour, beef and cheese too much the focus for my taste. Much prefer what I've had in Mexico and eaten in NYC made by immigrants from Puebla.

The image is shit, however.

bingo, as long as it's good I like it.
One time my buddy made tacos with meat loaf and they were really good.

>shell
both of them are clapakistan trash

Potato tacos

well, comparing taco bell to the local mexican place, i would give it to taco bell every time. if all "authentic" mexican is as dry as the "authentic" tacos i get from there, then we need to double time it with the wall. meanwhile, taco bell kills it consistently.

Tex-Mex is absolute shit for the most part. It's all soggy burritos covered in "enchilada sauce" and rubbery cheddar cheese served with flavorless rice and beans, pic related. Real Mexican is much more varied and can be good or bad, but when it's good it is one of the world's great cuisines and blows Tex-Mex out of the water.

>Real Mexican is much more varied

Tex-Mex was created because Mexican food is boring. Maybe you should stick to the children's chicken fingers next time you eat Tex-Mex.

Lol what a retarded infographic. What would you call a taco with corn tortillas, cheese, store-bought salsa and stewed meat? Mex-Tex-Tex-Mex?

>sour cream, sour cream, and a little more sour cream in my taco, thanks

this is ridiculous. an authentic mexican taco is literally just seasoned meat on a tortilla. i'm white and I know that

>Tex-Mex was created because Mexican food is boring.
No, TexMax was created because cowboys unsurprisingly liked to eat lots beef and lots of dairy, and preferred wheat flour over masa, given the option. It's just norteno cooking with more US influences on it. Not nearly as interesting as the food from Puebla, Oaxaca or DF. Even Baja amd Yucatan have more interesting food than TexMex.

Bland? I think the exact opposite, in fact I think it is way too rich in flavors. Corn tortillas, spice, cheese, beans, "chorizo", mole sauce. Most of their recipes have cream, avocado or rice to simmer down the taste.

Tex-Mex was created by Mexican and German cowboys. They both found it superior to any of your sub genre Mexican foods, and so does the rest of the world. There's nothing interesting about authentic Mexican food. It's bad

what is it about mexican food that draws out the most autistic of people
i haven't read the thread, but i'm assuming there are by this time at least 3 retarded indios screaming about "NOT REAL MEXICAN" and "MUH SPICES"

yeah yeah, go back to your tendies

Not him but what exactly is the diference between tex mex and true mexican food? They both look similar except for tex mex using fried tortillas and chips more often.

I see Tex-Mex. Stop appropriating white creations to cover for gross 'authentic' Mexican food.

>i only know tacos

Oh I see, you confuse tex mex with mexican food so thats why you think mexican food is bland and boring.

>Mexican and German cowboys. They both found it superior to any of your sub genre Mexican foods
Cowboys weren't exactly gourmands, but I'll agree TexMex is the kind of food people not all that worldly nor affluent would find exciting.
>so does the rest of the world.
The rest of the world is well aware that some of the best food on the planet can be found in upscale DF restaurants and even on the streets there.

>Tacos arabes
It's called shawarma in English and it uses a pita not a tortilla.

Aztec food is real Mexican food. Everything else is a conversion backwards from Tex-Mex. Tacos of any kind are not Mexican food.

is not the same nigger
do you have brain damage

What a retard.

>drench in mole because boring
>drench in hot sauce because boring

TexMex is based on one regional style of Mexican cooking (norteno). That's one of at least six other regional cuisines in Mexico. The others lean more heavily on masa flour and are less inclined toward beef and dairy, because they're not cow country as much.
The dish changed quite a bit once the Lebanese brought it to DF. Those immigrants are also the source for al Pastor and quipe. It's a very cosmopolitan place with immigrants from all over the world, so the food there has a wide set of influences compared to the much more narrow set that gave us TexMex.

I eat what ever tastes better. I've had people take me out to "authentic mexican places" and everything tastes like bland crap, like not worth paying for. I don't give a fuck if it is ~~~authentic~~~ give me something that tastes worth the money I am spending

>muh money's worth
TexMex is for you, then, because the plates at most TexMex joints are usually heaped with two meals' worth of food. It might not be very good, but there will be a lot of it.

For me it is the McChicken, the best fast food sandwich

>Stuff salami and cheese in calzone because boring
>Cover hamburger with vegetables and bread because boring
>Roll rice with seaweed and raw fish because boring
>Fry chicken because boring

O B S E S S E D
B
S
E
S
S
E
D

>Mexican
>Bland
Nice bait, faggot

Then you have eaten shit corn tortillas, but you like so much your 'chili' covered pork anus that you cant tell your stupidity

Whitey detected

Whoever made this shitty bait chart has clearly never eaten at a Mexican person's house.
Mexicans use wheat flour tortillas pretty often (mostly in Northern Mexico, not so much in Central or Southern Mexico). They also use store-bought spice mixes and salsas. Believe it or not, they use cheese too. And not everybody adds fresh-chopped cilantro, onions, and tomatoes to their tacos. Some people can't stand that stuff at all.
Tex-Mex isn't so much of a bastardized version of Mexican cuisine as much as it's more of a combination of different regional Mexican and American cuisines.

Nachos

Protips:

white cheese = good
yellow cheese = bad

tortilla = good
"shell" = bad

green sauce = good
red sauce = bad

avocado, onion, cilantro, tomato = good
everyting else = bad

nigger opinion

He's right, though. You're the nigger.

The only not stupid opinion in this thread.

The only corn tortillas available in my area are shitty and tear themselves apart in the bag.

>mexicans don't use stores

ya ok

You poor poor soul. If your near an agricultural area find the nearest migrant field and the closest whole in the wall cafeteria. If it doesn't have floutas or queso fresco leave and try again.

Real Mexican food has like 10-15 ingredients tops in different arrangements

you know you can heat them up without grease right?

Nah add queso freso a Chile sauce and possibly cortido and your getting closer

Who cares, tacos are basic bitch food, literally no point in caring about authenticity or quality

You may as well get fussy about if someone prefers pickles on a fucking hamburger or not, or their hot dog with relish

>Mexican
>Worldly

LMAO fucking yurofaggots, I swear

if the options are as shown in the pic, mexican all day every day

I'm mexican and find tex-mex "tacos" disgusting.
The point of tacos is to keep it simple. Just put meat inside of a tortilla (not a fucking shell) and add cilantro/cebolla/salsa if you want.

Aren't we all ignoring that all tacos are shit? It's a trash food

You need to eat true tacos, but that exists only in Mexico. I wouldn't risk getting beheaded for tacos

>add 10 ounces of cilantro per taco
>mexican """""cuisine"""""

>The image is obviously trying to be insulting to Tex-Mex by implying that all Tex-Mex uses store bought rather than home made, which is asinine.
I agree with this bit

>This image is meant to be an argument starter.
No it's just some leftist cucks that think they're superior for having "le genuine mexican tacos"

Some of the best eating experiences I've had in my life have been good Mexican tacos. I've been to France, Italy, Spain, Japan, all over the states, I've eaten at michelin starred restaurants... There are few things better than well marinated cooked meat in a homemade tortilla with cilantro, onion lime and maybe salsa verde. Simple, subtle, perfect. You're quite obviously not eating the right ones

Street tacos are best tacos.

You ate at a Texans house. Probably put sour cream on everything too.

Yeah i get that it's "simple good", like pancakes or Hamburger or schnitzel. No reason to even talk about though because it can't be elevated without transforming it into a completely different dish. It's just trash food for when you're feeling too lazy for anything other than marinated grilled meat.

Tex Mex don't have a chance. There's like literally every type of taco imaginable in Mexico. While the majority of tex mex is ground beef

>Grilled meat
its more complex than that

make your own pleb, it's not hard

i pity non mexicans who cannot into mexican food

>red sauce = bad
What a dumb fucking opinion. Red sauce can mean anything from tomato salsa to a smoked pepper puree.

Red sauce implies (red) tomatoes, chile de color, chile de arbol, etc. or matured peppers, which are inferior to (green) tomato (tomatillo) and fresh serrano and jalapeño 97% of the time.

No one makes salsa out of jalapeños. They are baby shit. It's either with serranos or habaneros.

Why?

The worms and car pollution add flavor

Agree. Fucking mexicans who wail and gnash their teeth about authentic and can't do this.

All of these.
It's been 30 years since Mexico and most other Latin American nations actually had local masa available to make fresh tortillas with. Basically automation, NAFTA, and changes in agriculture subsidies drove the rise of corn flour (some sourced from the US) as a substitute which is cheaper, less nutritious, and reportedly blander tasting.

grist.org/article/masa/
infobae.com/america/mexico/2017/04/06/la-tortilla-mexicana-en-crisis-menos-nutritiva-y-con-menos-ventas/
^Use Google Translate:
>In Mexico the corn flour market is dominated by two large companies : Maseca and Gruma , who, according to the COA representative , pressed to displace the traditional tortilla production process by arguing market reasons, such as the fact that one kilo Of maize dough that is prepared manually produces 800 grams of tortilla, while with flour they achieve 100 percent yield.

>" The tortilla is being lost ," said Rafael Mier, founder of the Mexican Maize Tortilla Organization, who in various forums has stated that the introduction of corn flour resulted in the appearance of a new "tortilla", which replaced the traditional And that not only has less nutritional qualities but also lower quality that is noticed from the taste.

>In a tour of Infobae by different tortillerías of Mexico City, some managers assure that they do not know how the mass is made, since they buy it by wholesale to some distributor and only put it in the mill that cuts them in pieces and passes them By a cooking process.

>The COA researcher, a member of the Alliance for Food Health - a civil society initiative to promote healthy eating among Mexicans - explained that Official Mexican Standard (NOM) 051, referring to food and beverage labeling, does not obligate the flour manufacturers to report the raw material they use for their preparation, so there exists a problem that prevents them from knowing what the tortillas are made of.

(1/2)

Presently, the domestic producers there are trying to hammer out a certification for the heirloom varieties of maize that remain so that they can go upmarket.
reuters.com/article/us-mexico-corn-certification-idUSKBN1790I2
>Entrepreneurs see a huge profit to be made in higher-margin tortillas and chips sold at restaurants like Bayless' Frontera Grill in Chicago and Enrique Olvera's Cosme in New York, and mass marketed at higher-end retailers like Whole Foods Market Inc.

>Several of the nearly 60 native varieties, or landraces, of this heirloom corn often grow alongside corn's ancestor teocintle, a skimpy stalk with a few meager kernels that Mexican farmers transformed in a dizzying series of improvements over some 8,000 years.

>The first is whether Mexican scientists can hammer out a first-ever fair trade certification for traditional corn farmers, similar to certifications for organic coffee or chocolate. Once an accord is reached, which is expected later this year, organizers say a civic association or panel of experts will provide the voluntary certification.

>If successful, exports of Mexico's gourmet maize could start to reverse a flood of cheap U.S. yellow corn imports that have pushed more than 1 million Mexican farmers off their fields since the enactment of the North American Free Trade Agreement in 1994.

>Commodity benchmark "Yellow 2" corn, a grain used mostly for animal feed, has little in common with Mexican corns that come in a kaleidoscope of colors and in some cases can be traced back for centuries to a specific mountain valley, says Flavio Aragon, one of the scientists behind the certification.

(2/2)

Yeah it needs more corn syrup, right?

>haha just get a unitasker brah

idk if you can really categorize them that easily, but meat+cilantro+onion tacos in soft shells with a lemon/lime will always be the best.

>greasy
You fucking what? It's just corn flour and water. What do you make yours out of? Oh wait, you buy them premade? Fucking pleb.

That image is wrong in so many levels.

I came
Fukken saved
/thread

no just trolling
use of "appropriating" should have been pretty obvious

Wow what an unbiased and informative graph. I'm sure the author is a quality individual that in no way has an ironic beard.

>indígenas o prehispanicos
>insectos

Is this insinuating precolumbian people ate bugs all day?

There is literally nothing wrong with frying flour tortillas to make crispy taco shells. Fight me.

Crispy shells are fucking dumb, they don't taste better and they are inconvenient to eat

This was made in Palm Springs, CA.

WTF is it? Mexican or Tex-Mex?

They're not crispy like corn shells where they snap when bitten into. They're just fried until you get a light golden brown shell. It still has give.

>unitasker

Fuck off Alton, I use it every 3 or four days, faggot.

how to make this

That's mex and looks pretty good. How was it?

Tasty. I used Chef John's Carnitas recipe.

>Tex-mex tacos
>Mild, store bought salsa
What piece of shit beaner made this?

half half.

flour tortilla heated in pan topped with seasoned mince, avo, capsicum, salsa, lettuce. pretty good try it some time

I hate how people act like flour tortillas are so much worse than corn
I lived in tucson and you got the best flour tortillas from the local places there, you could eat those shits plain i swear to god

They're not worse, but nothing beats a good home made corn tortilla