The great debate

The great debate

Which would you rather eat

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=IyI6DFdsg7w&t=6s
youtu.be/-e5gTx1fVU4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

One of those is a pizza, the other a cheese casserole.

I have never tried the american one so american desu

I suck at making pizza, I try doing Neapolitan, but it always turns into Chicago Deep Dish.

Idk Wtf the "American" pizza is. Looks like a trailer park, meth infested home made version of a man whole cover

Both look like shitty pies tbo

american pizza doesnt look like that, it looks like this

Oven wasn't hot enough.
Enjoy that floppy crust.

t. only ever had frozen pizza

Literally the only people who like 'go 'za are tourists visiting Chicago.

Far more popular with locals is the thin-crust, cut party style.

Americans are better at everything

pic related

Deep dish is just a meme shilled by some Giordano's ad man

I've only ever had it at an Aurelio's in Florida but it was probably top 5 best pizzas I've ever had.

Firstly, that's not /European pizza/ but one of the many varieties of pizza that originated in Europe. It is not representative of all the varieties of pizza available to us in the EU and its neighbouring countries.

Secondly, that's not /American pizza/ but one of the many varieties of pizza that originated in America. It is not representative of all the varieties of pizza available to you in the US and its neighboring countries.

Third, I'd like to give the Chicago one a go because I'm well acquainted with Neapolitan pizza already as I am from Italy. I would like the chance to try something new.

How is that even possible?

Pick your poison

It's hyperbole, it gets much thicker than what I want.

maybe your yeast is too powerful or you don't roll it flat enough

Can't do Neapolitan without an oven that can hit 650F minimum, and over 700F is better. Fresh mozzarella just gets soupy at the temperatures of ovens that can only hit 500 or 550F. That's why low moisture mozzarella was created - so pizza could be made without a specialized oven.

>Kebab Pizza
>From Sweden

Yeah. That's what I expected.

Deep dish is objectively better than the worst style of pizza, Italian style

>Italian style
You complete and utter mong.

Bet you're a fag that thinks that shitty style should just be called pizza

>Italian style
Which Italian style?

>baked ziti

stopped read there, this is a bait image right?

This is what a pizza looks like in white countries.

So is the American one some type of quiche or is that just all cheese?

What did he mean by this?

It's from the American Midwest, so of course it's all cheese.

Probably to much yeast

Both look like shit

The fuck is that on the right

Is it like a cake?

Yup.

>so of course it's all cheese.
Well. It looks inedible then.

It's awful, but a good representation of a specific kind of quantity over quality excess (especially with regard to cheese) that prevails in the center of the US.

Why do people who have never had deep dish claim its bad? Its literally one of the only good foods out here

>Its literally one of the only good foods out here
>literally
>only

Durkadurka here. Not Muzzie-type, tho.

>lahm bi ajeen
lol
It's written that way in Squigglerunes, but it's pronounced 'lahmmachoun' in Levantine Arabic (where the dish comes from) and 'lahmajun' (no gemination, shorter U vowel) in other varieties. 'Lahm bi ajun' literally means 'meat with dough,' but the letter 'ba' is seldom pronounced pronounced in Arabic when it follows the letter 'meem.' And when the word 'with' ('bi' in Arabic) follows a word ending in meem, like the word for meat ('lahm'), it gets swallowed completely. In Levantine Arabic, 'meem' gets geminated into a double consonant when this happens. In other varieties, all traces of the word 'bi' disappear completely.

basically "lol so much cheese it has to be good"

I get the novelty of eating melted cheese as a meal, especially on a cold winter day. Dishes like raclette and fondue are basically that. But what makes them good is that they start with good quality cheese. Low moisture mozzarella is not a good quality cheese to begin with, and melting a shit ton of it doesn't change that.

You have never had it. You're the kind of person that thinks a cheesesteak is simple and that one on the west coast is going to actually come close to one from philly. Or that sushi is just raw fish on rice. Theres a reason regional dishes are known as regional dishes even when a shitty recipe is available online

Don't worry, there's also plenty of meat hunks in it,

Don't have a passport, so you assume nobody else does?

>if its not from area X it literally can not compete with area X dish

wew some sound logic you got there.

Better stop eating Chinese, Italian, Mexican, or anything else that isn't a Chicago style hot dog or tomato casserole. Everything else in Chicago is just going to be complete rubbish.

I recently found out that the famed Giordano's is not dough->cheese->sauce but actually dough->cheese->dough->sauce. That pretty much confirms it is not pizza, but really some kind of pot pie.

For me, it's a pure glass of water.

XD lmao you are retarded because you enjoy something I don't !

The point of the thread was to debate """american""" deep dish v normal pizza and we've proven even americans dont like deep dish

I assume you've never had any kind of Chinese food in China, nor Italian in Italy, or Mexican in Mexico. If you had you would know the food does taste different since technique and the taste of ingredients plays a major role and are in fact more important than the recipe most of the time.

Theres a NYC chain thats been expanding overseas that actually ships NYC tap water to its various locations.

I'm in Chicago for a couple years for grad school and have lived on 3 continents and various parts of the US. Chicago food sucks but deep dish is good

>chicago food sucks

I was under the impression there were a lot of pollaks there. Don't they have polish delis or restaurants? Seems like those would kickass.

So what are these magical ingredients that make Chicago deep dish superior to literally any deep dish pizza available in the US?

His argument would make sense if he was talking about regional agricultural products where specific aspects of that place (climate, soil, local microbes) have an effect on the flavor. But when you're talking about a regional specialty made from the same mass produced ingredients available anywhere in the country the regionalism thing kinda falls apart, because it's based on nothing but tradition, and anyone can learn the tradition and reproduce it anywhere else. You can get spot on Texas BBQ brisket in NYC because there are a few guys here who went to Texas, learned how it's done and came back to do it here. Because there's nothing particular about Texas that shapes the flavor - it's just that the tradition originated there. It's not like Blue Point oysters or Chablis, where the regional conditions effect the flavor of the product.

Can you not read?

>Chicago food sucks but deep dish is good
I've been across the country several times and hit most of Europe, Scandinavia, Australia and Japan, and I disagree with you. Chicago is a great food town. What sucks are the junk food dishes the locals crow about. Deep dish is probably the least offensive of them (Italian beef is far and away the worst). But as long as you stay away from that shit Chicago is a great place to eat.

> If you had you would know the food does taste different since technique and the taste of ingredients plays a major role and are in fact more important than the recipe most of the time.

So, what's the special technique, the special ingredients, the are only available in Chicago and not anywhere else? They must be something real special since they have not and possibly cannot be replicated, as shown by the fact that you think deep dish from anywhere else in the country simple won't be acceptable.

NYC is unique in that you can actually find regional food there that doesn't suck, because people from all over move there with their techniques they also have access to all the ingredients they need.

Even finding a decent sub off the east coast is a chore. Theres tons of recipes for bread online, yet the subs on the east coast are easily the best largely because of technique.

Most places in the world this simply doesn't exist. Tokyo is the only other city I can think of where chefs actually go and study a wide variety of techniques and come back to open restaurants.

Do you think I run a successful chain of deep dish pizzerias or something? Why the hell would i know that

Italian Beefs are shitty low quality wet cheesesteaks when they are at their best. How the fuck did they become popular

Square-cut party pizzas are legitimately the worst of all pizzas. Even the deep dish meme isn't as bad.

I have never once heard anyone mention anything about special, unobtainable ingredients in relation to deep dish pizza. The only thing unique about it is the way it is formed, which is extremely well documented and something that can easily replicated by anyone at home.

>the ultra elite classified method of making Giordano's deep dish casserole

youtube.com/watch?v=IyI6DFdsg7w&t=6s

>Tokyo
The only place I've been that easily beats NYC at pretty much the same game it plays. Best food town I've been to so far. But I've heard great things about Mexico City, and plan on checking it out this year.
And cheesesteaks aren't all that to begin with. Best hot hoagie is the roast pork with broccoli rabe.

>not the superior brazilian pizza

lol

youtu.be/-e5gTx1fVU4

There's no special ingredient so in Chicago deep dish that can't be found elsewhere, but it does differ from deep dish elsewhere in the country. Chicago style uses corn meal in the crust. A layer is pressed into the deep dish pan. A shitload of cheese is placed on top. Usually another layer of crust goes over the cheese so it's actually separated from the sauce. Thick and very chunky tomato sauce plus whatever other ingredients go on top. Hth.

MMM plastic orange triangle

it amazes me that amerifats will eat this shit

That pizza just looks like shit.

I was hoping it would be this guy. His pizzas actually look pretty good.

Tbh American pizza is way better than anything we have in Europe, when I traveled to the US in 2015 I was absolutely stunned at the quality of the local cuisine, totally unexpected. I've always heard the meme that Americans have shitty food, but my God a good cheesesteak or specialty burger will change your mind pretty quickly. Idc if I get flak from other Euros, it's the hard truth that they somehow can't swallow without hurting their ego or something.

The oven alone eliminates the ability to make restaurant quality pizza of any style at home.

You've watched a few episodes of Good Eats and have made some non-terrible home cook stuff and think you're a top tier chef now. You also seem to have limited experience traveling.

Pizza Crunch is the fucking shit, so delicious

If only it wasn't 20000 calories

why do scots love to deepfry so much stuff

the real question is why doesn't everyone else

>I was absolutely stunned at the quality of the local cuisine,
That really depends on where you go. Upscale places have been increasingly concerned about sourcing their ingredients over the last couple decades, so the quality in good American restaurants has steadily increased. And some places really take this seriously: San Fransisco, NYC, Portland and Austin are examples.

But there's another thing America is really good at, which is taking garbage ingredients and packing them with flavor. We do delicious trash really well. You can go to Michigan and get a Coney (chili dog). It will be a low quality sausage on a squishy enriched white bun topped with chili (likely from a can made from meat by-products). Basically a symphony of garbage. But it will be powerfully flavorful, just not a quality food.

ew

You can get a pizza oven. I have one on my patio and when it's properly heated you can get a good pizza in and out in about 2 minutes.

Both of those pizzas are American, retard.

There is literally nothing to suggest that chicago style deep dish uses any special ingredients that would be difficult to obtain anywhere else. It is literally just tomato sauce, pizza dough, and a lot of mozzarella cheese. Stores could easily have their own specialty dough or sauce but that's clearly not what people care about, all anyone ever talks about is how chicago deep dish has so much cheese. If they were making their own cheese that could certainly be special but I have yet to see any indication of that.

>wonder bread
>Kraft singles
>Ketchup
That is literally all you need to make 'go 'za.

I'd like to see someone on here do that

I was thinking about making some 'go 'za for Veeky Forums using frozen dough and a few bags of shredded mozz, plus a giant can of tomato sauce.

Empty sauce into bowl, line can with defrosted dough, fill bottom with cheese, and return sauce to can.

Heat in oven and serve.

Any massholes here? Bar pizza (which is actually Greek style baked in cast-iron pans) is pretty much the god tier

>Veeky Forums will never try to Old Forge 'za

Not the best by any means, but an interesting take.

Both of those look fucking delicious for their own reasons and frankly I'd never commit to only one.

>only eat's domino's
>doesn't realize there's wheat gluten in crust
It's supposed to be like that.

What in the hell?

>Venus pizza in Whitman checking in

A good number of those are just different pizza toppings and have nothing to do with a different "type" of pizza. Chicago Deep Dish, New York, Sicilian, etc those are different "types".

Wrong, there's is only pizza.
All these other 'styles' are just cheese and tomato open face sandwiches.

I'm European and this is what pizza looks like here.

This is actually the main difference between NY pizza and Italian - NY pizza was an adaptation to shitty coal fired ovens instead of wood which burns hotter.

kek it's funny because i've seen pizzas like that

Costco pizza is best

Repeating the same argument over again and ignoring all counterarguments doesn't make it right

I've made the same argument because I have yet to be offered 1 conclusive ingredient in chicago style deep dish that somehow makes it better than the awful deep dish served everywhere else.

European pizza, everyone.

This is far superior to American pizza, shart. You just don't understand our cultured taste or rich history. Enjoy your abomination of a "pizza" you fatfucks eat over there.

Like 99% of Americans don't eat that kind of pizza and at least 50% of Americans wouldn't if given the chance.

I mean there's this really big divide over Chicago (the style pictured), and New York, over who has the best style of pizza.

Of course, the truth is that both are trash, a pan pizza (cooked in a long rectangular pan) is the best kind of American pizza.

I guess I could try the Sicilian but it BEGS for some ham or some mushrooms, it's just so plain.

Never tried it, but I like the immigrants that do pizza because that means they're part of the workforce and economy (which, sadly, can't be said for many of them). And some of them do decent pizza.

>pepperoni
0/10
Replace with salami or bacon and it's fixed.

I like cheese. A lot of cheese.
I like to have quite a lot of it on my pizzas.
And I like generous sauce too.

But I don't want to eat a pizza consisting of half a wheel of cheese and a gallon of tomato sauce.

>muh cheesesteak
Oh boy here we go.

>Theres a NYC chain thats been expanding overseas that actually ships NYC tap water to its various locations
How fucking retarded. NYC pizza isn't even good.