What do you know about turmeric

Where do you use it?
Does it actually add flavor, and if so, what do you describe it? it reminds me of saffron.

Is it actually nutritious?

You can use it in a lot of shit. Rice, vegetables, soups, curries, etc. It has a slightly bitter, earthy, ginger-y flavor. It's used largely for color as well as health benefits. It's supposed to have anti-inflammatory properties, as well as other benefits which are almost certainly exaggerated by Western health nuts and alternative medicine retards.

We grow it and mix it with echinacea leaves, lemongrass, ginger and jujube and simmer it for a bit as a kind of all purpose immune boost. I know medfags poopoo that kind of thing but drinking a cup every morning for the last 5 years I haven't had a cold or flu once whereas before I'd get 1-2 a year. Go figure.

it's best used on rice paired with chicken or pork

So you never use it fresh for curry or something? I would be interested to hear if anyone here has tried freshly grating the root for curry (also where you acquired it, any sources besides a farmer's market?) as opposed to using dried.

fresh root sounds hard to get. i've had whole dried pieces and it definitely tasted better but it was a pain to grind so i just use the powder cause im lazy.

i just remember to have yellow mustard sauce... someone told me it has tumeric, i still don't know if i was lied to.

I use it in fried rice all the time. Really brings out the savory flavors imo, nice color too.

I don't do poo in loo food, sorry. If I did I'd grate the fresh root we grow. I've made thai curry before but it didn't use it.

This, at least for the flavor profile. Can't speak as to the health benefits.

Put some chicken into the pressure cooker/slow cooker with some turmeric, crushed red pepper, salt, and an onion.

Eat over rice.

Ausfag here, they have it my local Coles which is a big national brand supermarket so it can't be too hard to find. I have only used powdered turmeric though.

It stains everything a yellow/orange color. I still do not understand why it is needed for canning pickles.

>It's supposed to have anti-inflammatory properties
I got a Turmeric supplement for this very promise, and I have to say that I didn't notice significant improvement on my inflammation symptoms to justify it. It may have helped a little, or I may have imagined it, that's how little it made a difference, if any.

>Turmeric supplement
So you are yellow pilled?

It can taste slightly bitter depending on how much of it you use. A little bit tastes good but if I accidentally use too much it tastes like soap to me. I make an egg white omelette on most mornings and put a bit in there. It makes it look like real eggs and gives it a little bit of flavor.

I use it in my curries, mostly just to give them an extra boost of color. I feel like it's only there for health benefits and color less than taste.

Just don't get any on your clothes, it's a bitch of a stain to get out.

A decent asian market should have it fresh. Used it once out of curiosity, it's definitely better than powdered but it's also a mess to grind and if you don't use gloves your fingers and hands will be yellow for DAYS..

>why it is needed for canning pickles.

It isn't. Though it is a common but optional spice in many Indian pickle recipes.

>health benefits and color less than taste.

Are you using dry powder or fresh?

Turmeric is one of those spices which loses flavor VERY fast once it is dried and ground. Most dry turmeric is flavorless dust. Get the fresh root like in OP and it's very flavorful indeed.

I use dried. I've never seen fresh turmeric in the stores where I live. Any suggestion on where to look or can I buy it online to try?

You can add it to your herbal tea

Asian supermarket or a very well stocked normal supermarket.

Online? I've never bought it online but I imagine it should be easily found with a search.

Thanks. I'll keep an eye out and check some other stores around here.

There's a supermarket near me that's in the "hispanic part of town". They stock fresh turmeric, whereas the other markets (same chain) elsewhere in town don't stock it.

if it tastes weird or gross it's good for you