H.P. Lovecraft

Does Veeky Forums even admire or enjoy any of his writings? If so, why?

No. He's a hack and Reddit-tier. He was the original Stephen King

How is he a hack?

I love the majority of his writing. Even if he himself despised it. Hell a lot of his writings were never supposed to see the light of day and or were edited to death.

I am a fan.

His literature was too non-euclidian for the plebs

I'm about halfway through The Lovecraft Compendium, never read any of his stuff before. My impression is that he writes really well and the worlds he creates are large and looming. But he emphasizes the fear of characters so much to make you feel it.

>oh the main character had such an unnatural feeling inside of him, he was so scared and repulsed
>you should also be scared and repulsed

His monsters were more alien, perhaps more than any other author since. The attempts to break from anything within the realm of human experience, to put descriptions to things fundamentally indescribable due to their very alien remoteness from human experience, has yet to truly be matched. For whatever else there is to say, his originality set a standard for the outre.

his influence is insane

This. The creatures in At The Mountains of Madness were described well but were so strange that I couldn't get a clear picture of them in my head.

ayyyy lmao

Im not the biggest fan of his prose. Reading lovecraft is like reading a newspaper. His work is interesting due to the concepts it explores (eg cosmic horror/pessimism) alongside his influence on other texts.

i almost feel as if that was intentional. The reader creates the most horrifying image in their mind. one of the reasons why his lack of description "indescribable" Same thing with when the mob made people vanish. Those who hear about it generally start making creating a mental Horror that is the worst they can imagine. Guy was deranged...

I should have finished my question do you feel it was intentional?

Not a mind reader nor a necromancer, but I suspect that it was intentional. Many of his contemporaries described slavering beasts and horrific visions, but his monsters were well and truly alien, and to convey such would require the reader to not be able to truly form a clear image of the monsters. His word choice was often evocative, specifically choosing words which, while having visceral or emotional elements and reactions, did not have clearly defined images assosciated with them. Squamous and rugose.

>whatever I don't like is reddit cuz reddit is mainstream

Edgelord pls go

What did you kids use for insults before Reddit was around? Or is 2004 before you were born?

So much this.
I also love how his stories more or less stick to one universe.

p.s. cannot read Lovecraft without imagining his stories as an escape horror game.

Cry harder, pussies

There are folks who like and dislike him for the nigger poem.

I like the spooky, tho.

He's my favourite writer.

I like his world philosophy and how he integrated it into these stories about weird as fuck creatures. I just like the general aesthetics of the era (1920s) he writes about. In fact if you consider all the universes created (i.e. Marvel, DC, LotR, Skyrim, whatever) I like his the most.

I also like his writing style. It's overwritten as fuck but that's just how he felt best about expressing himself. Takes some getting used to.

>He's my favourite writer

Everyone goes through a stage of liking him, but then you grow up. His hyperlexic vocabulary ceases to impress, his petty unexamined prejudices become embarrassing even if you share them.

He influenced many heavy metal bands - Metallica, Deicide, Morbid Angel - all wrote songs specifically about his stories.

Pulp writers and "weird" stories are my weakness, Lovecraft, Howard and Lord Dunsay are all great

>What did you kids use for insults before Reddit was around?
Gaia. Lurk more.

Don't really care for some racist's works

>can't write for shit
>"dude the creatures are soooo scawwy oh mah gooddd i cant even deescrive themmmm!1!!!1!!!111! rawr xD"
riveting

Anybody who read's Erich Zann, one of his best stories, and still call's him a hack ought to murda himself.

This

(you)

Loved his dream cycle and some standalone stories, the Cthulhu mythos is kinda crappy but decent enough for the genre were it not for the nerds ruining it.

This.

The Colour Out Of Space is my favourite Lovecraft story, and one of my favourite short stories in general.

Have you actually read anything by him or are you just regurgitating reddit memes?

Mediocre

He's fine. I love his descriptions, but the extended mythos for his works is hot garbage. They should have left the things alone. Fuck official fanfics.

No, he's uninteresting as fuck with the most boring prose imaginable.

I can only think of two instances in his entire life's work that I didn't hate.

found the SJW

He was good enough to establish a fan base so large that people hate it just for being so large. I'd say he was pretty good.

>his petty unexamined prejudices become embarrassing even if you share them.

Time to put down that cool-aid Xi.

oh look it's this thread again

First time around I loved his stories, ideas, themes, etc. but couldn't get into his prose. Even if you compare it to his pulpy horror peers from that era, it's pretty fucking weird.

Now I'm rereading everything by him including some stories I haven't read previously and I think I'm falling in love with his prose. Stockholm syndrome maybe.

Kinda feels like he was autistically obsessing over each sentence and rewriting it until it just felt right. To him that is. Unless you're in the right mood it can be headache (or sleep) inducing. But if it clicks, it just works.

Also I adore him just because how much envy and salt his popularity and/or timeless racism is gonna always generate. Stuff like is joy to read.

in my opinion he's like an extremely creative edgar allan pow