The Lord of the Rings

They just arrived; never read them.
>pic related
I know they are probably a meme, but I don't care.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/Tz9cETyteww
amazon.com/gp/product/0544445783/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
youtube.com/watch?v=bM6WzWaRZMs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

bin them

Nah

The Lord of the Rings taught me about metaphysics when I was young. In a way they are the foundation of a lot of my current system of thought.

Beautiful literature, potentially lost on some people. Not because they are high brow or anything (though the style and length are certainly offputting to some) but because the themes probably don't seem relevant in important ways to some people.

They're actually not bad but the content is really hit and miss.
After trying to read through the series as an adult I loved the Tom Bombadil section but just gave up on the trite world building trivea during the gathering around the ring section

they are not a meme. you have no idea what a meme is.

I watched a documentary on Tolkien a week ago. He seemed like a very interesting person; having fought in France during WWII. Even though I haven't read them yet, I am familiar with the themes, and I do believe I will appreciate them.

>you have no idea what a meme is.
To be honest, that's probably not a bad thing.

Looks nice. Have fun, and don't expect brevity. This isn't a modern fantasy: it uses language and moves the plot at an older pace.

Reading simsarillion atm

How is it?

>fought in France during WWII
Maybe you should watch that documentary again.

i'm reading it and it certainly feels "dense", specially because the version i have here has tiny fonts

WWI

Same. Very comfy winter read.
Excellent, there's so much packed into a single book I have a hard time to even sum it up. Feels just like reading a real mythological work.

>You will never read Lord of the Rings for the first time again
youtu.be/Tz9cETyteww
I envy you.

I can't see, I hope that is the hobbit on the bottom.
Might as well throw them all away if you don't read the Hobbit first.

>I know they are probably a meme, but I don't care

The meme on lit is to hate Lotr, "lmao im a nerd" culture has ruined the public image of the fantasy genre anyway. They are genuinely good books with a rich world, storyline, and characters.

nice box set. where'd you get them? im looking to replace my 15 year old damaged movie cover paperbacks

holy fuck what is wrong with your hand you wasteland ogre

how pleb am I for just skipping through most of the songs when reading? I read a few verses and move on

as a child my autism tried to give them a melody and rhythm and it was frustrating

If only the Reddit "lol such a nerd" culture would latch onto James Joyce so Veeky Forums would finally shut up

amazon.com/gp/product/0544445783/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Yes, the Hobbit is the one on the bottom.

i've never read LotR or the hobbit.

the lore geek in me wants to read the silmarillion before anything else. good impulse? bad?

thanks, I spent a while back looking at hardcover boxed sets and almost went to order the 1988 versions. Strange that these are considered paperback, although I guess they aren't hardcover either.

these look way more to my liking. I'm already used to reading a small bible daily so these won't bother me. I prefer smaller books. Thanks.

bad impulse

LOTR is about the characters mostly, and how they exist in their world. Once you understand that then the floodgates can open for autistic lore memorization.

I absolutely love that adaptation.

youtube.com/watch?v=bM6WzWaRZMs

>In 1981, the BBC broadcast a dramatisation of JRR Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings, ... starring Ian Holm as Frodo

how did I not know that?

>trange that these are considered paperback, although I guess they aren't hardcover either.
One of the reviews said they more of an imitation leather cover. Not hardcover, and not paper.

yeah I know that. That's why I wrote the comment you replied to

I recently read it for the first time myself and there's so many great moments in it. I was vaguely aware of some of the stories like the Children of Hurin but I was not expecting that level of tragedy. I love it. There's another moment that I'll try not to spoil where Sauron is admiring the destruction he caused and then he becomes genuinely afraid. Just remembering it makes me want to read it again.

his hand looks fine and even cutee

I never asked my parents to buy these books when i was a kid (we're kinda poor)

Instead I just read wiki articles on the various characters and plot details

Now I'm pretty sure I'll never enjoy the books, so I don't even want to try

Feels bad man

Why not just go to a library? I inherited my father's copy of LotR and The Hobbit but Dune I borrowed from a library over a vacation and it was a most as magical.

Comfy/10

i'm re-reading Tolkien for the first time since childhood and it's fuggin great, makes my blood boil now when i come on here and see faglord undergrad kids who smoke american spirits talk shit about Tolkien-sama

If it's important to you, then try. Wiki Articles or not, the actual book will be an great experience.

I don't know how you can read it lass