Chickpea recipes

I'm cooking chickpeas today and I want to ask for your favourite vegan or at least vegetarian recipes.

Usually I stew them with some vegetables but I could use some new ideas.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doubles_(food)
food.com/recipe/trini-doubles-caribbean-fried-dough-and-chickpea-sandwiches-232226
seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/01/quick-easy-pressure-cooker-chicken-and-chickpea-masala.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Look up some recipes for Chana Dal (Indian). That is god-tier.

They're also great simply cooked in some good stock. I would normally use a meat-based stock but if you want to keep vegan then use a good vegetable stock instead.

Pan fry them in olive oil. Crunchy yum yum.

Roasted Chickpeas

>coat chickpeas in oil and spices of your choosing
>roast them in the oven for about 30-40 min
>stir them sometimes
>done

thank you this looks tasty

good idea, never thought about that
could be nice if added to a soup
thanks

Falafel

Make some paella valenciana (Sautée onions, bell peppers, garlic, add tomato purée, add previously cooked chickpeas, add rice, put in turmeric, paprika, thyme, oregano, pour in stock, let it cook for 20 min. or so). By the way, if you wanna give it the traditional seafood-ish flavour paella usually has, make some vegetable stock with kombu seaweed.

nice

thank you
I'll try that today since I have the ingredients at home

you dont know a goddam thing about paella

>someone mentions paella
>spaniard starts freaking out about why it's wrong
predictable

>what's the difference between a chickpea and a garbanzo bean

I've never paid $100 to have a garbanzo bean on my face. lmao xd

Try a Lebanese chickpea salad. The Lebanese restaurant I go to puts sumac in it and it's absolutely delicious.

Chickpea salad with cumin, garlic and lime is pretty good

I'll try that tomorrow with the left over chickpeas since I tried a mix of the paelia recipe and some indian spices
Never had a chickpea salad.

So do the japanese when you go full retard with sushi.
Or you ameritards when you talk about well done steak.

Post a better recipe then.

Chocolate Chickpea Cake

Ingredients:

>2 c cooked, drained chickpeas
>1/3 c orange juice
>1 tsp vanilla
>1 c tofu (soft), whipped in a stand mixer
> 1/2 c brown sugar
> 1/4 c cocoa
>1/2 tsp baking powder
>1/4 tsp baking soda
>1/4 tsp salt
>1 c vegan chocolate (65%-75% cacao is best), chopped finely

Directions:
>Preheat oven to 350, oil cake pan
>puree chickpeas with orange juice till smooth
>Add vanilla and tofu, mix
>whisk together sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt
>Add to the chickpea/tofu mixture, pulsing until blended.
>stir in the chopped chocolate, pour into pan
>Bake for about 40 minutes.
> let cool for at least 15 minutes, then remove

I want to fuck your cake

Use them as beans in beef chili.

Almost as bad as Brazilians

I fucking love chickpeas. From indian like chana masala, or even added to a vegetarian green thai curry. Homemade hummus is great. Can also be cooked in a broth with tomato paste/cumin/chilli powder and lemon egyptian style.
Pasta e ceci is also a great pasta dish.

Roasted chickpeas are wonderful, as is chana masala. When I'm feeling lazy, I'll sauté onion and garlic until soft, and then add in diced tomatoes and a bunch of spices (cumin, coriander, paprika, or whatever I'm feeling that day.) Cook for a bit and add a few handfuls of kale, ripped into bite-sized pieces. Let that cook until soft, and then top with a fried egg.

Hummus
>Soak in water over night
>Cook until soft (~1-2 hours)
>Process (with some spices, cooking water, garlic, olive oil, google).

thanks
the photo is stolen from a blog but I made something similar and I can recommend it

I stew them in a similar way. I also like to add toasted sesame seeds and black caraway. Nuts are also a nice addition.

It's so simple and healthy! I've added sesame, but I'll try the caraway as well next time.
What kind of nuts do you add?

Almonds, cashews or hazel
don't care for the others
sunflowerseeds are also decent

Roast some chickpeas and add it to your stew afterwards for some extra crunch.

what temp?

>hummus
>without tahini
what are you doing lad

I think tahini was part of the "google" in their recipe

i think he never googled it himself

The Japanese actually quite like and have adopted "western sushi" like the California roll. Americans are pretty divided about muh steak. Would it untrigger your autism if he called it "spiced rice and chickpea dish" instead of paella?

Make cooked chickpeas.

>2 cups chickpeas
>1 baking sheet
>1 oven
>preheat oven to hot
>put chickpeas on baking sheet
>put baking sheet in oven for time
>pull out when chickpeas cooked
>let cool to eat temperature
>eat chickpeas

There's always the ol' Bateman special.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doubles_(food)

Came here to post this

esforce check lole

whoa(checked)

>some spice
without cumin it's also inedible

You have to get the temp right, they won't turn crisp otherwise 350F is too low, 400F they turn crisp in my oven, maybe you can get away with 375F in yours, 40min sounds about right. Soak the chickpeas ahead of time, overnight or for a few hours. Mix spices in oil you're going to coat them with, toss it all together in a bowl to cover them evenly with oil and spices. Make sure to lay down parchment paper on the tray, it makes a dry mess otherwise, hard to clean. Chickpeas also begin to pop, go all over the place sometimes, best to cover the tray with something, like a loose sheet of parchment paper or aluminum.

Spices you could use for the oil mix are usually cumin, chili powder, cayenne pepper, curry powder, garam masala, smoked paprika, rosemary, thyme, or other favorite spices and herbs.
>Look up some recipes for Chana Dal (Indian).
You need split chickpeas for this recipe, but yea, with some basmati rice, delish!

whoa lol

Chickpea Flour Tortillas
Ingredients
1-1/2 cups (180 grams) chickpea flour
¼ cup flaxseed meal (ground flaxseeds)
½ teaspoon salt
1-1/3 cups water

Instructions
whisk together flour, flaxseed meal, and salt
Whisk in the water until smooth.
let it rest for 10 minutes to 1 hour.
Heat a large nonstick skillet, grease with oil
Pour batter into the pan, quickly tilting in all directions to cover bottom of pan.
Cook for about 45 seconds, until it’s just golden at the edges.
he tortilla is ready to turn when it is golden brown on the bottom and can be shaken loose from the pan.
Turn the tortilla over and cook for 15 to 30 seconds, until golden brown.

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doubles_(food)
those are actually really good

nice they seem a bit similar to samosas

food.com/recipe/trini-doubles-caribbean-fried-dough-and-chickpea-sandwiches-232226

Chickpeas are tasty and versatile. I'm a fan.

>350F is too low, 400F they turn crisp in my oven, maybe you can get away with 375F in yours, 40min sounds about right
Thanks m8. This is maybe a dumb question, but do you use canned chickpeas or raw?

This is only for pressure cookers or rice cookers.

Fresh chorizo, any fatty sort (at least 20% fat), 200g/scant a half pound
>for a vegetarian version, simply omit chorizo, up the olive oil to 80ml/third cup (US) and use a flavourful stock rather than plain water)
Olive oil, 60ml/quarter cup (US)
Tomato, any plum-shaped variety, blanched, peeled, crushed, pressed and drained, 3-4 average-sized
Onion, peeled and diced, 1 large
Garlic, peeled, crushed and minced, 2-3 cloves
Green bell pepper, cored and chopped, 1 large
Salt, as needed
Achiote, soaked, drained and pasted, 1tsp of seeds
Wine (white) or beer, 1 cup
Chickpeas, drained overnight in alkaline water (use 1tsp bicarb per cup of water) then drained and rinsed very, very, VERY well, 250g/scant 9oz pre-soaked weight
>if not rinsed well, they can foam, causing the pressure cooker/rice cooker to become dangerous; be sure to rinse well
Rice, white, washed, rinsed and drained, 500g/scant 18oz pre-washed weight
Water or stock, 350ml/1,5 cups (US)

Remove chorizo from casing.
Place oil and chorizo in pressure cooker and set to high heat.
When fragrant, lower heat to medium-low/low and stir about to crumble cook the meat and render its fats.
When meat is cooked and rendered, add tomato, onion, garlic and bell pepper and re-up heat to high.
Salt generously then cook until items start to look dry and begin taking on some colour.
Add achiote and a third of the wine/beer to deglaze.
Stir about and allow the liquid to reduce out.
When items start to look dry and begin browning a bit more deeply, add half the remaining wine/beer to deglaze again.
When items start to look dry and begin browning a bit more deeply, add whatever wine/beer is left to deglaze a final time.
Stir in the chickpeas and rice and mix thoroughly with the pot ingredients.
Finally, add water/stock, stir about one last time and carefully lid the pot.
Cook at high pressure 11-12 minutes then off the heat and allow to depressurise on its own (15-20 minutes).
Remove the lid and serve immediately.

I don't care for the meaty part but there are some nice ideas in your recipe
thanks I copied it down

Make them into hummus, super good, healthy and easy to make.

Not the person you're responding to, but when I roast chickpeas I use canned ones — just rinse them and then dry them really well, you want to get as much moisture as possible off of 'em

I usually use dried ones and cook them in my ricecooker. This speeds things up a bit. . I also tend to skip so soak them overnight tho this is not a good idea.

seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/01/quick-easy-pressure-cooker-chicken-and-chickpea-masala.html

Can anyone whom has tried this tell if it's good or not? Idk if pressure cookers are a meme or not but my pa sent me one and I haven't used it yet. Don't want to waste money on a gross recipe but I have chickpeas already and can get chicken.

Op here. I can't help you with that because I don't have a pressure cooker and I don't eat a lot of thnigs in your recipe but the overall seasoning seems ok to me.

Be careful when you add the spinach (could make things slimey), coriander (could overseason) and the heavy cream (could react with the lemon and crumble, could also be goss). Those could result in a fail I'd say. Otherwise it seems like an ok recipe.

>tfw can't digest chickpeas without great distress
>tfw eating entire tubs of hummus in one sitting

Future me can deal with the consequences

>can't digest chickpeas without great distress
how so? did you soak them overnight?

>drained overnight in alkaline water (use 1tsp bicarb per cup of water)
why the bicarb? what is it for?