My dad prefers a historical novel for Christmas over something that requires thinking (his words)...

My dad prefers a historical novel for Christmas over something that requires thinking (his words). Since I hate both this attitude and the practice of just giving what you would have wanted, I come to you for a book which is a historical novel and fun to read, but also tricks him into learning something.

Same question for any novel for my mother, since she likely has the same requirements; instead of historic she likes mystery. All popsci and easy introductions into philosophy books I gave them tend to gather dust.

Bonus points for stating what they will learn (and "history" does not count). What I think they need the most is to be taught

- not to only invest their time in work and the most stupid entertainment
- not to be attached to their opinions
- mainstream media might have not their best interest in mind
- being able to examine their own shortcomings calmly and accurately, so that they might fix them instead of pretending they are not there

I know that while I am young and growing, they consider their life's work essentially over. It still makes me sad to see the people who taught me to be interested in intellectual pursuits waste away on reality television and idle games on their tablets. My mother at least wants to start a degree now, but the subject is theology of all (tips fedora).

Get them one copy of The Name of the Rose and make them share desu

They know that one already.

Get your Dad pic related, firstly because he'll learn a lot about Irish nationalism, the Easter Rising and influential figures like Patrick Pearse and James Connolly, and secondly because it will help him come to terms with your homosexuality.

funny

Paul Scott's Jewel in the Crown series. Historical te: British colonialism

Shogun - great historical novel.

A Chess Story by Zweig for your dad
Silence by Endo for your mom

congratulations on having literate parents

Literally anything by William Vollmann.

Storm of Steel by Ernst Junger

Thank you all, looking into them. Can any of you give me a pitch?

This is bait, right? If not... fuck me but you're an uppity little shite, aren't you? Maybe show some respect and some affection for your parents and just get them what they want without all the pretentious bullshit. Fuck me, but if my kids ever cop this attitude with me........

Gravity's rainbow. 100% percent historical novel about ww2 and post- war germany

Storm of Steel was written by Ernst Junger about his experience as a German Shocktrooper in the trenches during WW1. He's not making a political statement aside from showing you the horrors of trench warfare. It all came from his journal entries as he traveled from battle to battle. It starts off a bit slow but once it gets going it's near impossible to put down. It's graphic and visceral and there was an understanding and almost a sense of respect for all men on the battlefield, even if they were the enemy, but again, it focused on his experiences more than the politics of WW1.

>Fuck me, but if my kids ever cop this attitude with me
What are you going to do?

Hm, not sure if he will enjoy that. Also not sure what it will teach him.

Just ignore him

Silence by Endo seems fitting for what she wants from religion. But I would maybe feel not that well giving her opium instead of lsd, even though she wants it. Will consider it though.

It's a brilliant book, and not every lesson learned has to be something you might gain from a text book or the entirety of what took place over one battle or front or whatever subject it may be.

It's a good lesson on reminding us that we are all men and that there was once a point in time where soldiers viewed opposing combatants with great respect as men and as fellow soldiers and gives you a real glimpse of what war was like in WWI.

He may not like it, but don't write the book off as offering nothing to be learned from it.

I did not mean to say that he will learn nothing from it (even though I did), but that I don't see how the quality of what he will learn relates to the uncomfortableness of reading it. From past experience I know that he will just not finish books that are not engaging enough. And the chance is high that gore will not be up his ally, especially for the holidays.

Also, I suspect when he says "historical fiction" he means "medieval fiction"

I gotchya. I really don't know much about medieval fiction, I was just on a big WW1 kick not too long ago. Sorry I can't help.

Blood Meridian

Try anything ever written by Mika Waltari.

1/10 because you had to read the thread (maybe)

So in general bonus points for something German for my dad, since this is the language he wants to read in and it would pain me to buy a translation. Again, medieval, just had him on the phone and he confirmed it. Everything else he does not care about.

He is generally very "worldly", his interests are poker and golf. If that helps. I am generally interested in helping him grow beyond that, but first priority is giving him enjoyment of course.

Boy, you sound like a huge twat. The best thing you could get your father is an apology for your existence and the dreams that had to die within him as a consequence of that.

The siege of Krishnapur was the best historical novel I read this year followed closely by the year of the French

>German
Well, if he speaks German then there are a few interesting options

First and foremost

Erich Maria Remarque - Im Westen nichts Neues

Then
Günter Grass - Die Blechtrommel
Joseph Roth - Radetzkymarsch

On the medieval period
Ken Follett - The Pillars of the Earth