cooksillustrated.com/articles/332-ultimate-french-mashed-potatoes
twitter.com/AnonBabble

use good potatoes

At least 50% butter by weight

Half russet and yukon gold.
Butter
Cream
Salt and pepper to taste

I like my women like I like my potatoes, dug out of the ground and fondled by farmers

I'm making a shitpost
Any good formats I should follow?

> peel about 6 bakers taters
> boil em till just starting to get soft (test with fork)
> blend/mash and mix with:
> milk (about one cup, or to-taste)
> butter (about 3-4 table spoons, or again to-taste)
> garlic powder
> kosher salt
> ground black pepper
> chives/green onions
> Parmesan cheese
> when you have as much of all that as you want, mix into a thick, almost creamy texture (NOT runny), then
> bake at 350 for about 25mins (or until little golden brown flakes begin developing on top)
> serve that shit

You're welcome.

make sure to boil the potatoes thoroughly or else theyll be lumpy. You'll know theyre done when the skin starts falling off in the pot. Also dont peel them, the skin has lots of nutrition, adds a nice texture, and is A E S T H E T I C as fuck.

Milk, butter, salt and pepper. If you're pan cooking a nice meat like steak or porkchops too, cook the meat with olive oil, butter crushed garlic and thyme (and baste in the pan with a spoon), then when you're done with the meat mix the leftover butter/oil/garlic/thyme juice from the pan in to your mashed potatoes.

Too reddit imo

yeah, that seems like too much shit, and its gonna look pretentious and complexity causes quality issues. The most redpilled food is simple recipes made with good quality ingredients and done properly rather than queering it up with a ton of fancy shit.

Made Chef John from Fooooood Wishesdotcom's mascarpone mashed potatoes yesterday.

They were okay. Tasted like mashed potatoes that had mascarpone in them. Nothing really special tbqhwyf.

realsimple.com/food-recipes/browse-all-recipes/potato-parsnip-mash

You can also incorporate other root vegetables that will give it color like carrots or radish.

I like fucking around with mashed potatoes.

> too reddit
Wow, what a stereotypical 4chins thing to say.

Adding a few extra ingredients before simply baking a dish of mashed potatoes is too hard? Jesus Christ. Languish in your bland potatoes then.

>I wanna cook something on Veeky Forums and would love to know what to put in it
>Woah Is This Some Sort of SHITPOST???

Calm down

>Languish in your bland potatoes then.

unironically this

Good mashed potatoes: potatoes, milk, salt, pepper, and a lot of butter
Fancy mashed potatoes: Add cheese and an herb

I like to make small batches for me and my roommate. I use two potatos, about a tablespoon of butter, a tablespoon of mayonnaise, a splash of milk, maybe about 1.5oz or so, and then salt and pepper. Coarse pepper is the best.

or add some spinach

kek

kek, exactly what i pictured when i read that

This, you gotta use Yukon Gold, it's the best variety for mashed potatoes.

Mashed potatoes are so fucking simple that a woman can make them. This is a shitpost

>Half russet and yukon gold

lol nope.

All yukon golds or all redskins. Maybe you could experiment with a 50/ 50 gold/ redskin if the potatoes are similar sized. Why the shit would you screw up great mashed potatoes by diluting them with russets?

Otherwise, roast some garlic and fry some bacon. Mash that with butter, sour cream, cheddar and chives. Lots of butter, the good stuff, sweet cream unsalted.

Alternate to loaded mashed potatoes: Makes some yukon gold mashed potatoes, saute some spinach in bacon grease, and mash that in the potatoes with wasabi until they have a nice green color and spicy, spinach flavor.

Boil potatoes (you can overcook them a bit), remove the skin, keep some of the water they've been boiled in.
Crush the potatoes adding a glass of the water you've kept, add cream and maybe another dose of boiling water until you get the consistency you like. I usually go with around 1/3 water 2/3 cream.
You literally can't fail.

FUCK NO!

Red potatos
>sliced and quartered
>boiled until soft
>strain water
>add copious amounts of HPS
>approximately BUT NO MORE than 3 tablespoons of real butter
>add WHOLE milk until your preferred texture is achieved
>add raw crushed garlic to flavor

avoid pic related at all costs

Make mashed potatoes, and then add caramelized onions and bacon.
Thats all you literally need.
Dont forget to add boiled milk and melted butter.

>>sliced and quartered
>>boiled until soft
>>strain water
wrong
boil them first, then peel them and slice them
if you don't the potato looses a lot of its nutritional value to the water

The skill in making mashed potatoes is trying to emulsify as much butter as possible without it breaking.

>emulsify...breaking

Christ, did you get lost? Where do you think you are?

Continuous improvement pleb

>not eating the skins

I like redskins in potato salad and yukons or russets for mashed.

Everyone likes their mashed potatoes a little different. So, the "best" mashed potatoes totally depends on how YOU like them.
>smooth, creamy, and thick
>super buttery and smooth
>light and fluffy and melt in your mouth
>thick and lumpy with skins on
>casserole style mashed potatoes that have extra ingredients like sour cream and cheese
>extra lumpy "smashed" style

So, OP, you have to decide what kind of mashed potatoes you like best, and then it's easier to tell you how to make them perfectly.

Potatoes of whatever variety

Milk & Butter
OR
Chicken Broth
OR
Soy Milk and Nutritional Yeast Flake

+Sour cream, chives, garlic, cheddar, parmesan, or whatever else you might want to doctor it up with.

Use plain russet for your typical mashed potato.
Use baby reds for a slightly sweeter mashed potato.
Use purple potatoes for a little extra nutrition and some interesting color.
Use gold/yellow potatoes for a slightly richer flavor.

I add like half a cup of cottage cheese to mine.

Most people like their potatoes light and fluffy, I like mine sort of chunky and with the skin left on.

Reminds me of the woodland dishes my grandma used to make.

those are for mashed potatoes
Personally I eat the skins most of the time, depends on the qualitiy of the potatoes

Chef John's recipe for the luxurious mashed potatoes was the only recipe that has failed me from there. Good mashed potatoes have a lot of butter and cream but that shit was overboard and just lead to greasy mashed potatoes

Also OP garlic mashed potatoes with an herb component are far better than any mashed potatoes saying to include nutmeg

I always chuck a couple of garlic cloves in 20 minutes before they're done. Mash the garlic into the potatoes.

>but that shit was overboard and just lead to greasy mashed potatoes
You broke your emulsion. Knowing how to emulsify butter is critical in making mash. Here's a screenshot of "The French Laundry" cookbook by 7 starred michelin chef Thomas Keller.

top it with some caraway seeds and fried onion and a tiny bit of fried bacon for the best result

IT'S BEEN A DAY HE HAS STOPPED MAKING MASHED POTATOES SHUT THE FUCK UP

>IT'S BEEN A DAY HE HAS STOPPED MAKING MASHED POTATOES
How do you know? Maybe he is making a lot of them.

>not trying the airy russett recipes first then making rich and creamy yukons using the other suggestions tonight

You must decide if the thread was wasted on you if you are the waste yourself, I just can't make up my mind.

Just made some tonight and have a decent technique I picked up.

finely dice 2 potatoes into 1/8th inch cubes and put into a medium pot

fill pot with milk to about the 3/4ths the height of the potato.

simmer for about 30 min, careful not to overboil the milk.

take a stick blender and puree in the pot.

rich velvety mashed potatoes, hard to beat. I regret using onions because they made it sortof lumpy, but if I wasnt lazy and just used a tamis Im sure those could have been worked out

sounds like the cooks illustrated technique.
cooksillustrated.com/articles/332-ultimate-french-mashed-potatoes

Use butter and sour cream
dats it