Stack/recent purchases thread

So how did i do?

The pearl harbor coffee table book is a present for my wife since she is teaching about it right now.

Other urls found in this thread:

global.oup.com/academic/promojump/holiday2016/?cc=us&lang=en&promocode=HOLIDAY16
boards.Veeky
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

ulysses and illuminatus are good throw the rest in the fuckin trash

read ulysses before illuminatus RAW is a big joyce fan

The Long Ships is so fucking enjoyable.

What I had lying by my bed.

Ayyyy Jane Eyre doe.

I just finished Catch-22. It was good, but probably 200 pages more than it needed to make it's point.

nice. have you read it yet? i recently finished pride and prejudice and middlemarch and figured i'd keep going with the theme

Nah, I've just started with White Noise.
I've read American Psycho though, and it's pretty good if you appreciate it's humor.

Dope stack senpai.

Which translation of C&P is that?

no that guy but, david mcduff

What Spanish doorstoppers do I get with a £15 Amazon voucher? I was thinking along the lines of 2666 and something else

Don Quixote

r8

trade paperback version

Blood meridian is great and i love mark twain. What is the yellow book? Looks like J. D. Salinger but i cant make out the title.

It's Raise High the Roof Beam, Carpenters and Seymour: An Introduction

Americana/10

Is it any good?

I spend so much time starting with the Greeks that I ended up finding a book about starting with the Greeks.

Picked up Osman's Dream a few weeks back. Kind of weird that it seems like the only recent history of the Ottoman Empire, I would have expected way more material to be available on the subject.

Oh wow. You bought your required readings for next semester early. Get out

Second to bottom is The Sorrows of Young Werther in German and the middle one is Faust in German. Pls don't judge too hard

Just got this bad boy from the mail.

Osman's Dream is OK, check out Colin Imber and Inalcik on the high period as well

Also check out Hanioglu on the Late Ottoman Empire, very good / short

If you can read German, and every author in that stack is German, why aren't you reading all of them in the original German?

Two books don't make a stack, fag.

Triggered :D
This is also a "recent purchaseses" thread by the way you illiterate cunt.

Everything there is in German except Zarathustra and the bookd by Jung. I don't have a lot of cash to shell out on German translations right now. I mainly just wanted to read Kafka, Goethe and Hesse in German. Plus, I'm going through uni to be a teacher, so I want to have some books that the kids in my class can read if they're interested in certain topics (which no one will anyways, I just know I did that as a student).

>German translations

>Jung
Have fun with that one champ.
It's like Freud, but even more pseud.

> t. Someone who hasn't read it and follows along with Veeky Forums's circlejerk opinions

I went to my local charity shop and somehow they had Faust and A Confederacy of Dunces. I also picked up The Luminaries. It won the Man Booker in 2013 so I thought it was worth a punt. Books were 50p each.

a confederacy of dunces is pretty good.

>hazlitt
>thumbsupbrentrambo.mpeg

someone please stop me before I do this

>he buys his novels online

Kys, you fucking pleb. There's no hope for you.

Delete the complete Ernest Hemingway

>good luck buying english books in bookstores in Sweden

go ahead make my day
Why? It's no good?

Hemingway is great. Don't listen to that cunt.

R8 pls

Vergil - Works (OCT)
Bible - Authorized KJV
Cambridge Companion to Biblical Interpretation
Modern Critical Views: Virgil
Cambridge Companion to Virgil
Augustus - Fragments of his Works (Teubner iirc)
Bible - Vulgate
Szerb - Journey by Moonlight
Bolaño - 2666
Egenes - Intro to Sanskrit pt 1

inb4 triggered commies like last time

How are you liking Heart of Darkness?

Nice stack, but it pains me to look at your battered copy of the KJV (I have the same edition too in my stack).

I recently got the third logh novel too. Hopefully I'll have time to get through it over Christmas

Yeah I bought it used, I can't bear to pay full price for a book I know I can get so much cheaper from abebooks vel sim.

Oxford has huge sales 3-4 times a year. There's a 50% off sale going on right now until January 8:

global.oup.com/academic/promojump/holiday2016/?cc=us&lang=en&promocode=HOLIDAY16

Just buy books in chunks ahead of time, rather than one by one at full price. Same goes for barnes and noble, which often (not always) has prices matching amazon's regular discounts, and on top of that has 20% off sales for maybe 7 days out of every month (often with requirements of spending $75, $100, so on).

The thing is I paid $6 for that Bible, and that's on the upper end of what I usually pay. Even with such a big sale it's still just cheaper to buy used. And it's not like I'm particularly vain about the look of the book, I car much more about the content. Thanks though for telling me about the sale, I might pick some stuff up I can't find used.

Do you know if BookDepository or Booktopia do similar after Christmas?

Live in Australia and so apart from Abebooks, buying used versions will cost more than new books in Oxfords current sale.

Journey by Moonlight is awesome, I like that it's getting more renown on Veeky Forums lately, Hungarian literature is pretty good for the most part.

Where exactly does the third volume start? I'm watching the series again and just passed where they destroyed the other fortress a couple episodes after 28

Already own it, was considering 2666 or something else by Bolano, I could get that and one of his other books considerably cheaper than regular retail price. I just wanted something to read while getting pissed in tapas bars next month.

El Juego del Ángel? i haven't read it but it was recommended to me. no se.

Shadow of the Wind sounds like it'd be fun

Just after both civil wars have ended.
This volume looks to be painfully short,clocking in around 280~ pages.
I think it covers the "fortress against fortress" storyline

I think I'll wait until volume 4 comes out then pick up 2-4.

So one year from now?

Fourth one comes out in a couple months yes? I can wait that long or at least get two and three and just wait until the other nine are released and read them in one sitting.

Whatever you think is good for you.
I'm curious how the new translator will handle things.

Ignore Darwin, I had just already stacked away my books before this photo; everything else is still relevant, though.

They haven't arrived yet, but here's what I just ordered

John Cheever-collected short stories
Raymond Carver-what we talk about when we talk about love
Borges-ficciones
Barth-lost in the funhouse
Yamamoto tsunetomo-Hagakure
Miyamoto musashi-The book of five rings
Takuan soho-the unfettered mind

Also just finished The Good Earth and was thinking about picking up the sequels. They any good?

I'm curious about buying Lolita. Is it good?

Definitely some of the most nuanced and emotional prose I've ever read.

About to click buy. Should I? or is there too much edge?

Should I switch out Inferno for Swann's Way?

Don't get that Zarathustra, get this instead. It has Zarathustra and a bunch more.

Switch out Inferno for the complete Divine Comedy you doof.

Yeah you can get the whole divine comedy from Everyman for

If you are getting Mrs Dalloway you might as well get the Oxford edition.

> 2016
> buying books

you're better off spending that dosh on an ereader

Bought these about 2 months ago real cheap off amazon. Have finished all but Fate of Worlds, just started that one this evening and I am about 50 pages in. After I finish that I'll go back and read the rest of the known space series not shown here. Only one I wouldn't highly recommend is A World Out of Time. It's not that good and it's not part of a larger story.

I was told that edition was the best because it comes with a lot of additional analysis.

Why would German books be in German translation? Wat?

Hello Reddlt.

>not the Everyman's Library versions of Dostoevsky
cum on step it up

I've always thought about getting Marco Polos Travels, anyone know if its good?

Is it exciting in any way or does he just describe things he saw very mechanically?

Ringworld is good but a bit slow

i dont have a camera or a phone but these are the last books i've bought

Joseph Conrad - Nostromo*
Dostoevsky - Karamazov/Punishment*
Ivan Turgenev - Fathers & Sons*
Herodotus - Histories **
Gillian Gill - We Two (biography of Queen Victoria & her husband) *
John Keegan - The First World War*
Zola - Germinal **
Gogol - Dead Souls

(* means I've finished the book ** means I'm currently reading)

I dont know if I would classify it as exciting - but it is certainly interesting. I would recommend you check out Sir John de Mandeville's Travels - much more fantastical type stuff in that, if thats what youre looking for.

Most of Larry Niven's work is slow right up till the end and then everything happens. It's better in his more recent novels though.

I really don't think Reddit would like Niven's work they'd probably get triggered by how most of the women in his novels are good for nothing living fleshlights. I'm also sorry you can't enjoy good scifi just because you're afraid somebody might think you look at reddit. You're missing out.

How is the rest of the series? I read ringworld but wasn't super impressed and I'm not sure whether to read the rest or not.

if you havent read any prior nietzsche dont do this

It gets better with each book. The first one is probably the least interesting and well written but it's a gateway to an amazing saga. I especially like the ringworld sequels as they explore the ringworld further and you get to meet and learn about some of the very interesting races and cultures on the ringworld. The ____ of Worlds series is primary focused on the Puppeteers and Humans and their interactions with eachother and themselves, it is a very good read as well, my favorite being Juggler of Worlds.

Very late reply here, but thank you very much for the recommendations. Much appreciated!

>its pseud because i dont get it i'll stick to my Veeky Forumss top 100

just stacked up whatever was within an arm's reach of me

>Norwegian Wood
borrowed from my dad
>Meditations
currently reading through casually
>Infinite Jest
reading at least a few pages every day
>Christ's Samurai + Silence
got Silence because of the film trailer, and Christ's Samurai so I could read up on the historical context of Silence
>The Trial
found it in a charity shop the other day
>The Sailor Who Fell From Grace With the Sea
read the first few pages, haven't found time to keep going recently as it's a lower priority than Meditations and Infinite Jest
>Dynasty and Conquerors
saw them on sale at a local book shop and decided to get them as they've been sitting on my amazon wishlist for a few months

Best stax

>La Guerre de Troie n'aura pas lieu by Giraudoux
>La Princesse de Cleves by Madame de Lafayette
>Œuvres romanesques by Diderot
>Salammbô by Flaubert
>Nicomachean Ethics by Aristotle

The French section of the used bookstore practically trippled while I was away. Feels good.

Where do I start?

Köp min vän, jag lägger minst 1000kr/mån på böcker.

Jag med. Lol.

Instämmer för övrigt, köp skiten.

>Os Sertões by Euclides da Cunha
about the bloodiest conflict in Brazil's history, happened in 1896. Its narrated in a very historical way and its also very geographic, not only about the 'conflict area', but about the whole country. A literary critic compared it to the Iliad.
>The complete Plays from Machado de Assis, one of my favorite brazilian writers.

Picking up 2666 tomorrow but I might get another book alongside it, was considering another Krasznahorkai novel but I'm open to suggestions.

>Infinite Jest

Another one fell for it boys!

Rate a pedant of history lads

Check it, phone posting sorry

faggot

shitlord

That's the wrong Norwegian Wood

Recent electronic reads:
>Junger - Storm of Steel
>Winterling - Caligula: A Biography
>Champlin - Nero (Biography)
>Tacitus - Annals
>Horkheimer - Eclipse of Reason
>Marx / Engels - Communist Manifesto
>Berman - All That Is Solid Melts into Air
> Several Dadaist manifestos and the Marinetti Futurist Manifesto
>Junger - On Pain

here it is right-side-up

Did you read Tacitus in Latin? Have you read other Tacitus? What did you think of Annals (and whatever else you may have read)? Favorite themes/passages/moments?

Great stack btw. Monte Cristo is fantastic (there's a read-through in case you missed it: boards.Veeky Forums.org/lit/thread/8858514)

Thanks for informing me of the read-through. I just might do that. I am only a couple semesters into my study of Latin now. I've read a few passages of The Annals in Latin, and there's also a great essay by A.J. Woodman called "Death in the First Act" that is a fantastic analysis of Annals 1.6 (if you haven't already read it). After reading this essay, I'd say that the death of Agrippa Postumus is one of my favorite moments along with Nero's assassination of his mother.