Does Veeky Forums consider soup a proper meal?

does Veeky Forums consider soup a proper meal?

if you're not a chubchub, sure. needs a side of multi grain toast though

Yes.

It can be, but it isn't necessarily. It depends on the serving size and the ingredients.

It leaves me unsatisfied texturally

So does your mum

It kind of depends

Sometimes I like to have a thin, rich soup like chicken and gnocchi, but only as an appetizer. I suppose if you ate enough, it would be a meal.

Beef stew is a meal. I don't know if I've ever had beef stew as an appetizer.

Most people like a hunk of bread with soup (at least most white, red-blooded, high test American males do), are you counting that? Or at least some crackers?

Yeah.
Why not?

It depends

A small bowl can be an appetizer, a big bowl is a meal

Yes, but only for fatasses

Soup is way too high in fat content, which gives people obesity and horrible gross acne

>Soup is way too high in fat content
What? Could you elucidate a bit?

Never seen a troll post before, user?

Soup is water dude

I never underestimate stupidity on this board.

>be burger
>make soup
>make roux
>add extra butter
>add stock
>dump a bunch of heavy cream
>not creamy enough
>dump a bunch of shredded cheese
>perfect
>soup has consistency of gravy

>Soup is way too high in fat content, which gives people obesity and horrible gross acne
You should go to /k/ with your shitty bait, it's the easiest board to troll, here at Veeky Forums we're more smartestr.

Absolutely soup can be a meal. Soups like minestrone are designed to be just that. Yellow split pea soup is the traditional Thursday night meal in Sweden.

But light soups also make a good first course in more elaborate meals.

I think the prejudice some folks have against soup as a meal comes from soup kitchens that feed the poor. Some folks equate soup as a meal with being poor or destitute. They think they should never have soup as a complete meal because they're not poor. This was more common a generation or two ago in the US, when you still had people walking around who remembered the Great Depression and WWII. It's less of a thing today.

>serve with bacon

Some soups do contain fat.

For example, any soup cooked on a roux will contain fat from the roux. I.e. gumbo.

Soups containing cream (chowder, bisque) will obviously contain dairy fat, as will those that contain a lot of cheese. Soups cooked with coconut milk (many Indian and SEA soups) will also have fat too.

Tonkotsu ramen broth is very fatty since it's basically a fat-water emulsion. Some types of this have a very thick layer of fat floating on top of the broth.

If you're concerned about too much fat in your soup, eat broth or stock based soups instead. I suggest an Italian Wedding soup, but go light on the cheese.

>If you're concerned about too much fat in your soup

I'm not. The fat content doesn't bother me one bit. I was simply pointing out that some soups do in fact contain fat.

I just learned a Fuckton about soups. Thank you soup knowledge user

Uhm, thanks. Glad I could help, I guess? I thought I was merely stating the obvious.

If its a thin, watery stock soup, then its essentially like drinking a salty tea. In this case it isn't a meal.

If its chunky, stew-like, or thickened, or the consistency is like a soupy puree, then yes its a meal.

You may have been but I actually didnt know all that