Rice Cookers

I'm going to Little Tokyo in LA this weekend and plan to buy a rice cooker while I'm there. What are some features, models, or brands that I should look for?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Häagen-Dazs#History
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foreign_branding
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

A hinged locking lid is mandatory.
Even better if the unit has a pressure cooking option, but that will be limited to the higher end models.

Brands: Zojirushi is king. Tiger isn't bad either.

Keep in mind that you will more than likely be able to buy one cheaper online than in person.

I've been to LA Little Tokyo and I price checked the rice cooker models while I was there. Of the ones I could find on Amazon, all of them were a good bit cheaper than if I were to buy them in person. I'd say just go to find a model you like, and then buy it on Amazon.

Depends on whether you want to JUST cook rice, or you want to be able to cook other stuff.
I just wanted one for cooking rice, so I bought a 10 cup Tiger model (pic related). Works beautifully, makes perfect rice and I've never had any issues with it.
With any rice cooker you get though, make sure you follow the instructions implicitly. Most people I know who've complained about their rice cookers either bought cheap ones or don't follow the instructions thoroughly.

Zojirushi Made in Japan.
Don't buy the Chinese ones.

Why not?

>Zojirushi Made in Japan.
>Don't buy the Chinese ones.

Chinese here. Owned dozens of rice cookers.

Can confirm: never buy chinese. They'll start to fail after a year and you'll end up with fucked up rice porridge every time.

>Zojirushi
This is like the cast iron/japanese knife memelord bullshit of rice cookers.
Yes, Zojirushi are good, but so is Tiger, which is also made in Japan and is comparable to Zojirushi. There's also other lesser known Japanese brands.
I do agree that you should buy Japanese rice cookers for the best outcome, but it doesn't have to be Zojirushi.

I have that exact same cooker. I've had it for more than 10 years now and it's still going strong. I can recommend this as a great basic model. It doesn't have any fancy features but it's easy to use and clean. I look at it like the Honda Civic of rice cookers. It's not anything special, but it's reasonably priced and very reliable.

I've owned many rice cookers over the years. In my experience the non-Japanese ones either:
a) suck
or
b) don't last

My family recently bought a fancy new Zoji that has a high-pressure function. It produces fucking amazing rice--clearly better than the standard cookers. But they're pretty expensive so I'm not going to buy one as long as my current one works. I will get one of those when mine finally breaks though.

>Why not?

Chinese will cut corners in every step of manufacturing & design. There is zero quality control. You'll end up paying $100 for a rice cooker that breaks in a year.

And be careful of all the chinese made rice cookers with fake japanese names like "Zozozushi", "Tigerrrr", "Oyamama"

The chinese are very sneaky trying to sell you fake Japanese rice cookers.

>Yes, Zojirushi are good, but so is Tiger, which is also made in Japan and is comparable to Zojirushi. There's also other lesser known Japanese brands.

Any japanese brand is fine, IMO, and I've tried them all (restaurant cook). Just never buy chinese.

>And be careful of all the chinese made rice cookers with fake japanese names like "Zozozushi", "Tigerrrr", "Oyamama"

I see these all the time at ranch 99. Chinks are just shamelessly trying to scam people.

Mandatory features: Made in Japan, locking lid

Worth paying extra over the basic model for: fuzzy logic, induction element

Korean makers like Cuckoo and Panasonic can be fine, too, but your inner weeb will be slightly unsatisfied.

Just make rice in a pot, it's one of the simplest things to make Rice cookers are a stupid weeb meme.

Took this one with me from Hong Kong, works great. Seems to be a common Chinese brand.

You don't understand the point of rice cookers.
If I was going to make a small batch of rice for use with one meal, yeah, I'd probably use a pot.
But, with a rice cooker, you can make rice before breakfast, and it will still be warm and perfect at lunch time. For people who eat a lot of rice, or families, it's a better option. I didn't buy one for years, but as our diet started including more and more rice, it was the only logical thing to do. The only time I DON'T use the rice cooker now is when I'm making basmati rice. Rice cookers don't do basmati rice well. But for Nishiki and Jasmine rice, or other short to medium grain rice, a rice cooker is perfection.

Why not just buy it off Amazon and make sure that the item is fulfilled by Amazon so if anything goes wrong you can return it without question?

why do stupid americans are buying rice cookers? it's a cultural thing or something? totally useless...

even a retard or a 10 years old can cook rice without a rice cooker, if you can't do that you should stay away from the kitchen and just go to macdonald's

Panasonic is Japanese.
In fact there are Made in Japan Panasonic rice cookers.

Made in China Zojirushi is just not as good.

I grew up with rice cookers and I currently own a made in China Zojirushi that I bought 9 years ago that I use every day. My mother has a made in Japan Zojirushi. You know what the main difference is? Hers can do GABA rice. Oh and $270.

I swear to god you people listen to too much Trumptard propaganda. Just because some white hillbilly from Ohio is butthurt over his job doesn't mean everything that has ever been touched by China is shit.

>muh trump muh politics

Ask any Chinaman, they'll tell you the Chinese made rice cookers are inferior in every way.
The keep warm function doesn't even last as long.

These people import Japanese made ricecookers for a reason.

>Ask any Chinaman, they'll tell you the Chinese made rice cookers are inferior in every way.
Imported goods are a status symbol in a newly consumerist society, wow that was complicated
>The keep warm function doesn't even last as long.
You shouldn't keep rice warm for more than about a day anyway. It's not safe.
>These people import Japanese made ricecookers for a reason.
Yes, there is a reason. See:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Häagen-Dazs#History

This is one data point.
Perhaps true.
But most people will opt for MIJ Zorijushi if they can afford it.

>But most people will opt for MIJ Zorijushi if they can afford it.
People have funny ideas about "afford". A guy I work with can somehow "afford" a $4000 TV, and he makes half of what I make. I think it's ridiculous. My mother bought the Japanese Zoji because she's 71 years old and she simply will not be convinced that anything decent comes out of China. My mother also believes that if you put a different brand of tires on your car than what it came with, it's extremely dangerous and the car's handling may be fatally compromised. I love her but she doesn't always have the most well informed opinions on physical stuff.

What you get with a Japan-made Zoji is induction, which is critical for GABA and literally nothing else.

>wash & drain rice
>dump rice in pot
>add water until 1:1 ratio is reached
>lid on
>high heat until it rice comes just above a simmer
>switch to lowest heat, wait 20-25 mins
>fluff 'n serve

what the fuck do I need a rice cooker for again? at the very least just get an electric pressure cooker, rice cookers are the biggest waste of space and money in a consumer grade kitchen

The chinese have a saying that translates to "You get what you pay for" and their business practices take it the extreme of "If you're not paying a whole lot of money and you don't have the power to do anything in retaliation we are going to fuck you over in the worst ways possible". Never trust any asian made anything that isn't japanese, and only trust their well-known brands with wide public recognition.

>buyer's remorse fag desparately trying to justify his objectively inferior purchases
>i-i-i'm not the fool, everyone else is!
>t-t-t-there's l-literally nothing wrong with Chinese goods!

Even /g/'s chinkshit general gets chinked on a regular basis, and they're constantly on the lookout for it.

Buyer's remorse after 9 years of objectively perfect service? In your mind, how does that work?

This isn't some random counterfeit product bought of alibaba, this is a Japanese brand manufactured in China.

But if you're just here to shitpost, don't let me stop you.

You're just one user saying chinese Zojirushi is ok. There are other internet strangers saying they are less durable.
You may be right, and other people just try to justify their expensive purchase and racism. Just don't be so autistic about it.

>autistic
Usually when this word gets trotted out it means I've made whatever point I'm making effectively and irrefutably, so, thanks I guess?

>thanking people calling you autistic
I don't even.

>I swear to god you people listen to too much Trumptard propaganda. Just because some white hillbilly from Ohio is butthurt over his job doesn't mean everything that has ever been touched by China is shit.

Read the thread you illiterate Nigger.

All the chinese in here, including me, have been telling you dumb shit 'Merican niggers that chinese made crap is garbage.

None of us pretend our products are anywhere close to Japanese level quality.

now fuck off 'meritard

>Ask any Chinaman, they'll tell you the Chinese made rice cookers are inferior in every way.

Are you Niggers serious?!?!?

It's not just fucking rice cookers. All chinese made shit is INFERIROR due to cost cutting, cutting corners, and zero quality control.

fuck you 'merican niggers are dumb

I mean Tatung is probably alright. But it's made in Best China.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foreign_branding

It's not "your product"

It's a Japanese product, manufactured in China

You can claim Zheng He invented the iphone 7, but that doesn't make it true

Fun Fact: The only reason Zojirushi's rice cookers from China are better than other rice cookers is that Zojirushi has a fucking STAFF of Quality Control engineers that pretty much run their Chinese factory.

Same with Apple & Foxconn.

The only way you can get us chinese to produce quality is to literally sit there and micromanage what they do.

Don't respond to baits from Ameritards.
It's like Veeky Forums 101.

>It's not just fucking rice cookers. All chinese made shit is INFERIROR due to cost cutting, cutting corners, and zero quality control.

This.

If you've ever worked with the Chinese, you'll know they have no quality standards at all.and will knowingly ship faulty products.

& you fucking dumb 'mericans love that cheap chinese garbage

Not really sure if you think you're refuting my point, or supporting it. Can you confirm which side you're on? Because it kind of sounds like you're on mine, but you also sound peevish and butthurt about it.

South Korea is more like Japan than China. Its just up until recently they simply had inferior production abilities. China can produce quality they just don't because they are constantly trying to do the bare minimum

The moment I read
>I work in the stainless steel industry

I knew he fucked up.

I worked for a decade doing fiber optics in Hong Kong, working with mainland people was...tiresome. Btw you can't skimp on fiber, either the shit is made to spec and thus works or it doesn't.

>China can produce quality they just don't because Western clients ask for unit cost to be in pennies

>There are only 2 sides of an argument

lmao nigs, get triggered

As an app developer, simply having an app is not a sign of quality. Most of the time those IoT devices are total shit and the app makes it a security nightmare

Most IoT devices don't even consider security at all.

Worst Corea is a pit of vipers barely above the level of the chinese. Fuck them.

Even worse, they don't respect GPL.
Don't do embedded, kids. It's a shithole.

>Every Korean and Japanese homes use it
>rice cookers are just a stupid weeb meme

k

I went to little tokyo once, everything was comically more expensive than online.
I don't know why you'd even think this was an option.
I also went into that bookstore, they had coffee equipment for some reason, and it was even more expensive than the rice cookers.
Try to imagine a 3 cup bodum french press for $44, who the fuck pays this much.
It felt like a tourist trap, and the bookstore itself was full of autistic weebs talking about anime.

Just buy an asian wife. They're much cheaper and can weave you a rice cooker for free.

>My mother also believes that if you put a different brand of tires on your car than what it came with, it's extremely dangerous and the car's handling may be fatally compromised
If you put on some absolute shit tier tires and mismatch them around the car then sure.
I put after market tires on that were way better than they came with... after they warm up. You simply cannot drive them in the rain. It's a trade off, oem tires will just "werk."

I live in america, how could a wife ever be cheaper than an appliance?

why the fuck would you buy a machine for cooking rice?
It's the easiest food in the world to make.

same reason people don't use a pan to make toast.

Second Zoujirushi. I got one as a wedding gift 5 years ago and it's the only thing that still works.

Zoujirushi can do multiple types and styles of rice as well as other types of food, and it plays an adorable chime when your food is done. They are a little expensive though.

ITT: white people telling chinks they don't need rice cookers.

lol

Every rice thread just shows how shitty of a board Veeky Forums is.
Just close this board, it's ad-filled and semi-dead.

Zoji ih from amazon

I love to sterilize my pure glass of water with my ricecooker.