Herbs and spices

I want to use herbs and spices to improve my cooking. I've started using chives in most of my omelette and cheese dishes, as well as cinnamon with my porridge and french toast, but want to try new ones out. What are your favourites and how do you use them?

Also dumping a couple of infographics. Think I'll try paprika and cumin seed next.

Cayenne pepper

Usage instructions: add it to everyfuckingthing. NO EXCEPTIONS.

Try galangal it tastes like a mix between ginger and cinnamon/clove.

>What are your favourites and how do you use them?

I use a variety of profiles depending on the dish I want to make. I use them to flavor the proteins and any sauces, broths, or gravy that I make.

Indian profile: cumin, coriander, cayenne, tumeric, cinnamon, black and white pepper, clove, fennel with fresh garlic and ginger paste

Cajun / Southern profile: Cayenne, chilli powder, black and white pepper, garlic and onion powder

Mezkin / Southwest profile: Cumin, cayenne, chili powder, black and white pepper, onion and garlic powder

Euro profile: basil, oregano, thyme, rosemary, black and white pepper

I rarely use the Euro profile, as I like spicy food and almost always toss in a Habanero pepper, or two, into my cooking.

Forgot to toss in cardamon in the Indian profile.

I add 1/2 tsp of cardamon powder and 3 star anise to my white rice when I cook it, and it imparts an excellent flavor to go along with any Asian dish.

you can add those to your selection:

> indian
fenugreek seed, black carawayseeds, cardamom, curry leaves and asant

>european
mayoram, tarragon, sage, lavender, anise, dillseeds, fennelseeds, caraway seeds

>others you might want to try:
lemongrass, mugwort

Powder Garlic, Rough ground pepper, Sage.

Garlic: Eggs, Salad, Pork, Chicken, Beef, Soups.
Pepper: Same.
Sage: Same.
Italian seasoning is bomb too.

freshly toasted sesame seeds tossed on top are a great addition to many foods like sandwiches, salads, stews, rice, lentils..

Lovage is great for soup. Also no one mentioned bay leafs.

OP, pick one spice at a time, and then look for recipes that use it.

Cilantro:
mexican: in salads, on soups, in salsas, pureed into sauces
asian: in stir fries, salads, just sprinkled over rice

Dill
chicken soup, chicken or egg salads, in pasta salads esp with feta greek flavors, or places you already enjoy pickles. I like it on top of cucumber slices on top of cream cheese and a bagel, salmon optional

Sesame seeds/toasted sesame oil

Bay leaves are one one of my favorites. I love soup simmered with a handful of them

If I'm cooking eggs, I like to heat up a little oil and a little butter and then sprinkle on maybe two pinches of turmeric and some garlic powder. Turmeric needs oil to be absorbed by humans, it's supposed to have all kinds of health benefits. And it makes things yellowish and adds a little background flavor. Garlic makes everything better.

>Garlic makes everything better.

This is pretty much true 99.99% of the time.

Anyone here experienced in using edible lavender? I want to include it in a pear-fennel-risotto.

as opposed to inedible lavender?

>Think I'll try paprika and cumin seed next.
Cumin is great with rice-and-beans, or chili con carne.

i'm not sure lavender will go with pear

Sounds good, gotta remember that.

Curries are good for using spices, and they're fairly easy too. Even I can make them.

Get hash browns.
Apply oregano, pepper, salt and some chilli.

Never look back

Who the fuck writes a capitol S like a fucking 8
Are you retarded?

Hi OP, try fresh basil, it's my favourite atm. I use in Asian curry just chop it up and stir it through when you've finished cooking. Or on pizza, look up how to make your own pizza dough/base. And ofc homemade pesto mmm

NO CARAWAY NO LIFE

For me, it's a pure glass of water. The best kind of spice for every meal.

I'm not sure either but I think it could work. That's why I want to try it.
I was thinking about infusing oil with the lavender and using it as a finishing touch. I'm not sure how I should infuse it, though. Like, how much of the lavender on how much oil?

What is cursive?

You never learned cursive, haven't you?