Food in University/College

I'm a student tired of noodles and pizza, Veeky Forums. Share the food that made you survive these dreadful years.

Other urls found in this thread:

seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/10/traditional-french-cassoulet-recipe.html
maangchi.com,
japanesecooking101.com;
academiabarilla.com
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Lookup local missions/soup kitchens/food banks

All are free and the first two provide hot meals daily. Food banks provide mostly grains vegies and dairy to take home.

Dont starve. Utilize whats out there. Heres a good starting point: google catholic charities in your area and find out serving times. Just mind your own business when youre at these places and everything is fine.

hot dogs

1. Wear a big coat or some pants with tons of pockets
2. Line all the pockets with plastic baggies
3. Go to a place that has a buffet (my college town had a KFC with one it was awesome)
4. Eat as much as you can and put some of each plate of food you get in your plastic-lined pockets untill they are all full
5. Eat like a king for a week or so for just the price of one buffet

Peanut-butter banana sandwiches. Big as your fist.

Barring that; eggs everything. Egg sandwiches, shakshukha, and rancheros huevos.

Beans are cool but eating too much means you either won't shit or will shit yourself inside out. Rice and pasta are cheap but just empty calories for the most part. Be sure to eat the skins on your veggies and don't waste any of the delicious filling fat from anything; it's not as bad as people say.

Check out old videos from Barry Lewis (MyVirginKitchen on YouTube), it's all super easy stuff that he learned as he went along

Get a tube of chorizo, the cheap kind near the eggs. Cook it until the insane amount of grease is released and the meat is almost done, then stir in eggs until the grease is absorbed. Combine with an equal amount of rice + beans, and you've got yourself some slop to toss in a tortilla all week.
I suggest rice, beans, plus anything else you like. Make a bunch of slop at once and peck at it over time.

oats

Technically still in it, but most of my batch cooking was chilli and Bolognese (how unique). The value range keeps you going in the time of need and makes the 'own brand' food more awesome when you can afford it. Also mixed herbs can flavour almost everything.

Giant poorfag spag bol in bags in the freezer. Expanded my repertoire in the latter stages of my degree to include chill con carne and ratatouille. All are tasty, nutritious and cheap. And the freezer keeps them good for ages.

Chicken leg quarters are, what, $1 a pound?

Keep in mind that that $32 you spent on a large pizza to barely feed yourself and 3 friends could have instead bought you a pile of chicken thighs up to your knee

I've been surviving these first two years by having bought a crazy amount of spices (no premade seasoning) in the first few weeks, then basically eating a mixture of rice and chicken for the next few weeks (naturally using some garlic and onion), and since I could season it differently every day it'd work out to not the same meal every time.

I also bought a bunch of oats and nuts for muesli, which basically allows me to make snacks without needing to do much. Oats, nuts, berries, apples, bananas, yoghurt, a bit of lime and a bit of honey, stir it all together as one thing, and it works out nicely for breakfast and the like.

Oh, and I like cooking, so basically every week I'd try and save up for some more interesting food; I did jambalaya once due to that, and many other things - currywurst, alplermagronen, spaghetti all'amatriciana...

But then again I'm a weirdo.

Also, forgot to add, I actually do attempt to go to Farmer's Markets and butchers and the like, food's generally cheaper there.

seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/10/traditional-french-cassoulet-recipe.html

$1/lb? The fuck do you live?

$.49/lb here sonny

Zatarains + andouille (or any smoked sausage), chicken (market roasty bird), shrimp (frozen) is a godsend.
Caldo Verde is also good for sausage. Curry is nice to have in the pocket (get a good premix, sharwoods), lentils & pork jowl bacon, gook & jap shit (requires an investment in ingredients), here: maangchi.com, and here: japanesecooking101.com; soups, stews, braises, etc.

& pasta dishes: academiabarilla.com

Rice and beans, rice and lentils, pasta and lentils, pasta e fagioli

Fried rice, its easy its good and you should have an acne problem for your diet

Honestly, cajun food is cheap as fuck if you know how to make it. It's probably one of the better survival tools as well, I bought a big pot just to make jambalaya and the stuff lasts for a week on the freezer. It's insane how much value you get from it. The most difficult thing was making the stock, honestly.

Simple dish.

Cook brown rice in water with salt.
Chop up vegetables into small cubes, I used peppers and mangetout and half an onion/scallions.
Get some pork/chicken. Get some honey and and about a table spoon of Gochujang (Korean spicy paste) and mix with pork in bowl and put in fridge (clearly do this prior to cooking rice).
After about an hour in the fridge cook in pan until almost done. Throw vegetables in a little before done and cook until not raw but still crunchy. Add rice and mix. Add another table spoon of Gochujang and dark soy sauce, with some pepper.

I eat this really often. Also it is for some reason even better the second day eating it after storing in the fridge can anyone explain why?

Rice, lentils, cucumber and tomato, Thai chilis

>Share the food that made you survive these dreadful years.
For it was noodles and pizza...

my dad developed a weird eating disorder at university and somehow survived for three years on fried egg sandwiches.

Buy lots of eggs, breakfast is the most important meal of the day. There's so much you can do with eggs whether it's a scrambled egg+toast, fried egg+spam, making egg drop ramen soup, etc.

Speaking of spam, that stuff is good for breakfast and lunch. Mix it with pasta+sauce or rice for lunch, easy to make and cheaply deliciously.

When I was in college, eggs and spam were my diet. When money is tight these will always be cheap and great.

Also make sure you eat fruit or veggies sometimes too, gotta get that fiber or you destroy your toilet.

For me, it always was a pure bowl of ice soup. And it still is I have to add.

Fellow student here.
Learn to love rice and beans and always look for new cheap recipes.
Most weeks I tend to make something I can freeze like curry or chili con carne and then reheat is when I want it.
Also, omlette with wilted spinach erryday.
And lots of fruit and water.