QTDDTOT

How the fuck am I supposed to deglaze a pan but then thicken the sauce that results from that deglazing

Tried making that swedish meatball meme stuff and I pan fried the meatballs the deglazed with beef stock and made the sauce and all that but then was like well fuck how am I supposed to thicken this

send help

pic unrelated

Let it cook for a while. The liquid will evaporate.

Use flour or vegetable starch to make gravy

Depends on what you're going for. For a gravy like sauce, you need a roux or a slurry.
For example, I make salisbury steak in a manner that I believe may be similar to Swedish meatballs.
First and foremost, I use beef tallow, plain flour and minced shallots to make a brown roux.
Then, I sear either a cubed steak or a beef mince patty in a tad more tallow, remove it and add thinly sliced onion to the pan.
When the onion starts to colour, I deglaze with wine and scrape up the fond.
When the liquid reduces out again and the onions begin to take colour anew and stick to the pan a bit, I add strong beef stock.
When simmering, I add the roux, whisk it to distribute and disperse throughout evenly, then add the cubed steak/patty and let it finish in the newly made sauce.

I can't imagine Swedish meatballs would differ much from that besides shape (ball v patty) and the possible addition of cream.

The other way to thicken is with a slurry, which is a bit of pure starch (most commonly cornflour/cornstarch) and a liquid (usually water or stock) shaken or whisked together until smooth. This mixture is whisked into a simmering liquid to thicken.

For a jus-like sauce, all you need do is reduce a tad. Remember that jus is considerably thinner than gravy.

This guy knows his sauce.

i didn't read any of that but it's nice to see people being actually helpful once in a while on this meme and niche board.
upboated

>How the fuck am I supposed to deglaze a pan but then thicken the sauce that results from that deglazing

Your choice of stock/fluid/whatever the fuck your most relevant fluid is, then a roux. And/or cook it down if its not gonna make it too salty.

To thicken gravy: Use flour.
To thicken sauces: Use arrowroot.

Then fuck off. What are you even here for?

to rile you up friendo

Thickeners:
beurre manie: flour and butter rubbed together
slurry: cornstarch and water
roux: cooked butter and flour

Use the thickener that best suits your dish, for example long braises/stews usually require a roux since slurry's can break on reheat/extended heating. Pic related is the standard thickening ratios.

Because you're lonely?

How can I get a good crumb in my sourdough bread?
I keep messing up and my bread has large holes in it.

After you deglaze the pan, continue over high heat until the stock and fond reduces. Is that what you mean? Add a tsp of arrowroot mixed with a couple ounces of cold H2O if you want a thick sauce and you're impatient.

You WANT large irregular holes in it. It sounds perfect. Got any photos?

Not sure if troll, most bakers want that sort of open crumb structure in their sourdough breads. If you don't, however, want open crumb, hydrate your dough less, don't develop so much gluten (either by using weaker flour or simply working it less), degas the dough ("punch" it down) and underproof/overproof (both with yield a less open structure).

Try any one of those (or combinations of them) to get a tighter crumb structure. Remember, though, that it will undoubtedly yield a dense and unpleasantly gummy (v chewy) bread unless you add conditioner or fat to your dough.

That's... odd.
Thanks, I guess?

When you deglaze the pan, you let the beef broth (or other liquids) cook down until it's nearly (but not quite) glaze form. Then you add your last ingredients, whether it's butter, or cream, or mustard and cream, or dill, mustard and cream, or butter and herbs, etc. etc. you see where I'm going. Once you add those, you let it simmer (on a low simmer) for several minutes until the desired consistency is reached. If you add ANY dairy, NEVER let it boil, ever.

Deglazing is good for pulling up crusty bits into a sauce. But what you deglaze with can add flavor too, like wine or stock, or cream, and once you have the bits softened up, then you're free to either thicken it with reduction time (patience), or more traditional thickeners from roux to another starch idea.

For swedish meatballs gravy, this is primarily a cream thickened dinner, but traditionally you can do bechamel, but myself? I actually use 1/2 cup of sour cream with a Tbsp of flour mixed in and a packet of sodium free beef granules. It deglazes on low heat, and picks up the pan flavors from the browned onion and meat juices nicely. It's basically cream, and the tartness cooks down a bit so it doesn't mess with the recipe much. The reason you might like it is that it's already thick, and your only job is not to curdle it through high heat.

I'm getting humongous holes to the point that it's not bread.
I think it's a problem in kneading or my proofing

You reduce the liquid, which basically means you boil it until enough of the water evaporates.

You can also use a thickening agent. Flour works but you have to add it at the beginning and cook the flour somewhat, before deglazing, otherwise you'll end up with a floury taste. Cornstarch/Cornflour is another option, that some even prefer, and can be added at the end. Basically just make a slurry by mixing cornstarch with water, and then adding it to your sauce.

add a knob of butter

Aside from cost, is there any reason to buy other kinds of olive oil than extra virgin or can I just use extra virgin for any recipe that calls for olive oil?

The only problem would be the flavour of the oil overpowering your dish. Extra virgin is pretty strong compared to a lighter olive oil.

Is there a way to reseason a pan using only the stovetop? My new apartment doesn't have an oven.

EVOO has lots of impurities that cause the oil to smoke at lower temperatures. Hence it is not a good cooking oil. Refined olive oil is suitable for cooking as most of the impurities are filtered out.

yes just cook fatty things in it a lot and rub it down with oil regularly

the only way you can ruin cast iron/carbon steel is to let it rust, the seasoning stripping doesn't matter and will fix itself if you cook in it enough

extra virgin doesn't handle high heats well and has a stronger flavor

you need normal for frying, and if you use oil in baking it's kind of a personal decision on whether you want the strong flavor or not

you can also thicken with gelatin, powder or sheet, or alternatively just by letting the water evaporate.

post pics

So my family and I are all teetotalers, but I often encounter a lot of recipes that use various wines for soups, sauces, stir-frys, etc. Julia Child's recipes on youtube are notorious for it. I usually just substitute stock, juice, or a vinegar instead.
1. Since I've never drank, much less cooked with, wine of any kind how does it compare with something like red wine or sherry vinegar?
2. I understand that the alcohol doesn't entirely cook off but it's still basically a negligible amount on your body, right?
3. If I wanted to keep some wine on hand what kind(s) is best with vegetables/pasta?
4. Got any supermarket brand recs and does price mean anything (the only thing I've heard is to NOT buy wine labelled as cooking wine)?
5. Can I freeze it?

Basically how do I into cooking with wine? I'd ask al/ck/ but I'm afraid they'd just say use vodka (would they be right?).

1. how does wine compare to wine? WTF are you talking about?
2. pretty much
3. you can't really do this, once it's opened it's going to be gross after a few weeks. get used to drinking it
4. the tendies-and-ranch crowd is going to dispute this passionately, but getting good value for your wine purchases is a moral obligation, and buying wine at the supermarket is not a good value. the transition from garbage wine to acceptable wine is like 2x more expensive than at a real wine shop and even at higher price points, mediocre bottles reign supreme. a $8-10 bottle of spanish garnacha at a real wine shop might require spending $15-18 to get wine of even comparable quality at a supermarket
5. beats me, it might work. why are you so afraid of drinking it?

>2. I understand that the alcohol doesn't entirely cook off but it's still basically a negligible amount on your body, right?

yes

> 3. If I wanted to keep some wine on hand what kind(s) is best with vegetables/pasta?

white wines are generally more flexible in cooking imo.

I usually have riesling or weisburgunder around, since they have less strong aftertastes that might sour the dish.

I personally have separate wines for cooking and they can easily have been opened more than a month earlier, you just have to take the increased acidity into account.

> use vodka (would they be right?).

Tastes different.

>1. how does wine compare to wine? WTF are you talking about?

How does wine compare to red wine vinegar or sherry vinegar is what he meant

>1. how does wine compare to wine? WTF are you talking about?
I was talking about the vinegars that come from a base wine where they introduce a fermenting bacteria eats all of the alcohol and turns it into acetic acid
>2. pretty much
Ok.
>3. you can't really do this, once it's opened it's going to be gross after a few weeks. get used to drinking it
Welp.
>4. the tendies-and-ranch crowd is going to dispute this passionately, but getting good value for your wine purchases is a moral obligation, and buying wine at the supermarket is not a good value. the transition from garbage wine to acceptable wine is like 2x more expensive than at a real wine shop and even at higher price points, mediocre bottles reign supreme. a $8-10 bottle of spanish garnacha at a real wine shop might require spending $15-18 to get wine of even comparable quality at a supermarket
Crud, well thanks. Is there some sweetspot for an average size bottle above which the benefits of higher quality wine drop off a cliff when dumped into a hot pot and boiled down?

>I usually have riesling or weisburgunder around, since they have less strong aftertastes that might sour the dish.
Alright.

Thanks for the replies.

>gelatin, powder or sheet, or alternatively just by letting the water evaporate.
I find protein rich sauces to be sticky and cloying on the palate.

How do I, as someone who has cooking shit together in first place, avoid not cooking during the next month (exam time plus run up) and eat in a way that won't add to my already plentiful health problems?

Option 1) reduce, Option 2) roux, Option 3) beurre manie, Option 4) cornstarch slurry

If you eat fruit, you'll likely have more alcohol ferment in your gut than would be left after a couple glugs of wine into a hot pan.

I'd say stay away from anything oak aged for food, except for say mushroom and other really earthy dishes that could benefit from it.

Frankly the real way to learn this is to taste the wine a little. I'd suggest a wine tasting course, most ppl spit the wine out so you'll be fine.
Frankly you only miss a little bit of taste from not passing the taste buds in the esophagus and anus.

If you're going to not want to waste this, You can make a big meal and prep say, salad dressings, and various sauces, dips and glazes to help reduce waste

mix a sheet of gelatine with your stock before deglazing, from then its just cooking it down.
or ofc you let your stock reduce til it solidifies at room temp by itself

If you have to add gelatin to your stock to make it thicken/set then you have made shitty stock. It ought to have plenty of gelatin in it already.

he could be using storebought

that would qualify as "shitty stock".

my god stop being an annoying cunt.
sometimes i make a soupy stock, sometimes i cook it down til its solid, that doesnt necessarily say anything about the quality. i even specified that its not necessary if its cooked down, which it obviously isnt because ops stock is soupy

That comment wasn't directed at you, user. You clearly know how to make stock. Relax, not everything is a personal attack....