/tea/ General

Post your brew, questions, sources, teaware reviews, etc.

Pastebin with sources and FAQs
pastebin.com/SWNA0rLX

Ancient FAQ from 2012:
pastebin.com/hw8XXZV5

Veeky Forums wiki tea page that no one has edited in ages:
Veeky Forums-ck.wikia.com/wiki/Tea

Green tea is going to help you lose weight
Green tea is going to keep you up if you drink it before bed
Start using teabags
Do buy tea from Teavana
If you aren't using teabags, start leaving it in the cup after it's done brewing
Start using boiling water
START USING TEABAGS

Old thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Pz2-tKUdzNk
a.co/0vupP8x
reddit.com/r/teasales/
reddit.com/r/tea/
youtube.com/watch?v=HJWwcbhkrbA
ebay.com/itm/yunnan-puerh-tea-cigarettes-Hot-Sale-top-grade-no-tobacco-no-nicotine-puer-tea-/152361837285
youtube.com/watch?v=ZFokIpdmlAU
aliexpress.com/item/Kung-Fu-Tea-set-Include-1-Pot-1-Cup-High-quality-elegant-gaiwan-Beautiful-and-easy/32400464967.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Is yunnansourcing.us the same as ordering from yunnansourcing.com?

.us ships from Oregon and .com ships from China
same company though

this. but .com has more variety and you can buy more in bulk. Shipping sucks from .com cuz obviously it takes longer/more expensive to ship from China vs. Oregon if your in the US.

has anyone tried the Taiwan sourcing? I'm looking for good bang for buck Taiwan oolong source and Japanese greens.

It took me like an hour to make my after dinner tea:
>Boil kettle
>Waiting for water to cool
>Forget and it's too cold
>Fuck
>Do this another 3 times

just drank some dank ass cheap puerh from aliexpress
pure glory i tell you

should i buy hojicha at ¥10 per gram
what does it taste like

>Green tea is going to help you lose weight
>Green tea is going to keep you up if you drink it before bed
>Start using teabags
>Do buy tea from Teavana
>If you aren't using teabags, start leaving it in the cup after it's done brewing
>Start using boiling water
>START USING TEABAGS

It wasn't that great for 260€/kg desu. I didn't know Indonesia made tea.
First time I've seen leaves that huge though.

I'm autistic enough to have bought this to make my tea.

youtube.com/watch?v=Pz2-tKUdzNk

Christ, user. Was it at least worth it?

what the fuck
also autism would probably lead you to gong fu style brewing instead, so at least you're normal

Has anyone ever tried tea from the azores?

Jesus fuck mate, never let your water reach the boiling point.

That's an ikea spoon, not a leaf, mate.

Can I buy a cheap grader somewhere? I have a lot of meh-quality tea and at least want to get rid of the dust/fannings from it. Also for whatever reason, would grading it (the time spent outside of the tin) fuck the flavor?

>Boil kettle

Jesus Christ, how long did that take? I can't imagine the smell.

What's a nice small glass teapot with an infuser inside?

>be a landlord
>take in foreign exchange students from Asia/mid-east
>they all invariably drink tea
>they all end up leaving behind half used stacks of loose leaf when they're gone
>mfw I've not had to buy tea in over four years

I use this one.

a.co/0vupP8x

I'd guess the flavor would be fine as long as you're not leaving the tea out for days at a time

wtf
why would you do this

>why would you do this?
What are you talking about, free tea, thats fuckin sweet

>why would you do this
most decent-quality tea can easily be steeped multiple times, especially if it's not black

I've had it, its a nice standard indian style broken leaf black tea, never had the green one but quality should be around the same ballpark.
I've also had white tea from there, from a different estate than the usual gorreana one and that was worlds better, hand picked and whatnot, its only avaliable in lisbon though afaik

how much weed was served at dinner?

reddit.com/r/teasales/
reddit.com/r/tea/
for your tea loving ways when Veeky Forums fails

Is there such thing as getting "tea drunk" and "body feel"s or is it just placebo/marketing

I've drunk a whole lot of tea on many occasions and I have no idea what 'tea drunk' is supposed to mean.

Jin xuan is so much better gongfu'd
Why aren't you gongfuing yours

Can I just use my regular teapot and brew the tea for 30 secs?

gongfu is the technique, so yes you can

do you have a tea set
can i just use two mugs one for steeping and one for drinking

I do gongfu with a mug, a thermos, and a strainer

it works

doesn't it have to do with the type of tea? it's usually raw puerhs that ppl report getting tea drunk from.

This. I use a libre mug and a regular coffee mug for the same effect. I MUCH prefer using my gaiwan though.

Why not? Does it affect the tea in some way? My kettle doesn't have temp control, just an on/off switch. I usually let it boil, pour the water, and wait for the water to cool, thinking the mug as well as the water will be at temperature that way.
None, I was watching a documentary and kept losing track of time.

Just cold steep it, no fuss over heat

What is tea drunk
I drink tea and I've been drunk but I've never been tea drunk
please explain this dankery

What is going on when my gongfu brews, which otherwise came out great, taste slightly but noticeably bitter?

Sometimes I get to a point after drinking a lot of raw puerh where the headache and physical relaxation mix together into a general happy feeling. I always figured that was what getting tea drunk is because I only get there after drinking raw puerh and a lot of it. I believe it because something something microbes.

Maybe you oversteeped too long? Gong fu infusions have to be short because of the large amount of leaf:water ratio, so every second counts.

very scientifical

I would say I've gotten it from high quality sencha before, where it actually gave me giggles after drinking it. It's not a well defined thing, but a lot of people describe it as specifically different from just a caffeine buzz.

You dont have an instant read thermometer to just temp the water?

idk but I feel high as shit after drinking tea

music sounds better

it's so much easier to concentrate on things

youtube.com/watch?v=HJWwcbhkrbA

Why are teafags so disgusting?

Is this an actual thing? I once had some green tea at a cafe while we were with a group and shared the pot with a friend.
We both looked up at each at the same time and were both feeling the same super pleasant feeling.

It was a pretty good time in our lives so I'm thinking it may have just tipped the general good feelings we were having over into euphoria or something. I didn't get it again though.

How long should puer be gongfu'd for? 15 seconds a good starting point for golden needle?

I know this feel.

>boil water
>wait for everything to settle
>its now 90, not 95c
>repeat

I first infusion or two I start pouring immediately.

Bruh

Proper Gong Fu is at least twice as autistic

You chose the wrong route..

I would rather describe it as a mild high, like smoking leads and stems. It's mostly placebo, but not exclusively. I could not describe it to you on a chemical level because I'm not a native speaker, sorry.

I went for 15 seconds with 7g and 125ml boiling, it's only just strong enough. Does it depend on the puer itself?

Who's
>smoked tea
here?

Lapsang Suchong is comfy as fuck during winter.

What kind of water should I use for brewing tea?

soft water is generally good but you can find plenty of more detailed info if you google it

FUCK.

My kyusu is cracked. I even picked it up when I was in Japan.

You can DO that??

There us definitely room for upping the leaf water ratio of you want it stronger. I often use 7g for 90ml or more of I get a big chunk that I dont feel like breaking up

It depends on what kind of tea you're brewing. Black and herbal tea (or tisane, same thing, fuck off tisane guy) should be brewed at boiling, but anything else should be a bit lower than that.

It's really not that hard. Got a thermometer? Most tea comes with directions. 170-175 for 1-2 minutes or something like that. Follow it, your tea will improve immensely.

Anyone has any experience on these mug filter things?

it's what 13 year olds do to feel cool

It's a worthless high though.

more like heavy metals in your tea bro

I have one of those and it works great.

hell yeah
ebay.com/itm/yunnan-puerh-tea-cigarettes-Hot-Sale-top-grade-no-tobacco-no-nicotine-puer-tea-/152361837285

I have the one you posted and have no complaints.

Is there any alternative that even comes close to it?

>Fits in cup
>Ears keep it from getting submerged entirely
>Space for tea to expand
>Bottom plate to keep counter free from spillage
>Cheap
>Easy to clean

I absolutely hate things like pic related.
>Can't get corners sealed properly
>Leaves float around in your mug afterwards
>Can't put it down on the counter, must put it in a sink or separate plate

>the perfect tea brewer doesn't exi–

bitches

What am I looking at here?

A tea brewer which empties into your drinking mug below? By the thickness of the flow it would be very little steeped before being empty.

It only releases the tea when place atop the mug
youtube.com/watch?v=ZFokIpdmlAU

because I only want 4oz of tea at a time
kys fucking weeb

>Once had the perfect porcelain tea cup
>Wide and big
>Big handle for my gross fingers
>Hand made by someone I know
>Beautifully colored in white and latte colors with highlights
>Then my roommate breaks of the handle by letting a plate fall on it in the dish drying shelf
>Tried to glue it but the heat from tea and dishing makes it impossible for the glue to stay over time
>Found a suitable replacement but one tier below
>My mother drops it and it breaks apart
>Tried finding a new mug for years both online and in stores
>Nothing even comes close to what I once had
>Settled on double chambered glass mugs I can replace at any time

It's just not the same.

Looks neat but a mug filter does the same job with less to dish.

>>Tried to glue it but the heat from tea and dishing makes it impossible for the glue to stay over time

Glued properly and allowed to cure it'd be good as new, you could run it through a dishwasher just fine.

Given you and your family's ineptitude I suggest you stick to steel camping mugs.

do that weeb repair method where you show off the crack

Why not commission another from your friend?

She moved away and stopped clay crafting entirely.

NO, STOP.
The only reason to come here instead of reddit is to not have that faggot suggesting kintsugi every time someone mentions breaking some sort of teaware, IT IS NOT WORTH IT UNLESS IT'S AN ACTUALLY VALUABLE ITEM, plus it usually looks like shit

I drink my tea out of this so I can make a bunch and keep it hot for a while, explain to me why this is wrong.

Unless you keep the leaves inside the thermos the entire time and drink as is I don't think anyone will argue.

Nah, but I need to get a better tea ball or tea pot with a filter because a tiny portion of the leaves seep out.

Any of you try ephedra/Mormon tea ?

Anyone else getting serious dry lips from drinking hot gongfu tea throughout the day?

drink water my man

but I do. and tea is water, right?

yeah but get the metal ones, they can be found in a lot of places. they're great. I got mine with a sweet double walled glass mug but I fucking broke it, however it fits perfectly in my borosilicate mug. the lid helps too, keeps shit warm or can be used as a tray for the filter.

yea but there's other shit in there too, just like how salt water will dehydrate you because of the high concentration of salt. well actually i don't know if it's the same
some teas that are tannin-heavy dry my mouth out like crazy. you can steep it shorter or dilute it more to reduce that kind of dryness
if the dryness is caused by drinking it while it's too hot then just blow some air on it to cool it down i guess

I don't get dry lips but my mouth usually starts getting kinda dry after the second or third cup.

aliexpress.com/item/Kung-Fu-Tea-set-Include-1-Pot-1-Cup-High-quality-elegant-gaiwan-Beautiful-and-easy/32400464967.html

Is it a good idea to get this for gongfu? Seems pretty cheap and neat.

I personally prefer a normal gaiwan but that will be fine

yummy lead glaze from China

>drinking the sweat of a chinese plant

What, is this actually a thing?

it is when you're buying direct from China with no regulation oversight

I don't get it, is lead glazing something I should worry about and is all the other teaware not glazed with lead?

>i dont have a sense of aesthetics

its a meme made by flyover afraid of everything