How do I make good chips (fries)?

How do I make good chips (fries)?
I bought this deep fat fryer and my chips turn out either brown and sloppy or undercooked.

Other urls found in this thread:

channel4.com/programmes/how-to-cook-like-heston/articles/all/triple-cooked-chips-recipe/1796
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Do you aware they are cooked twice? At 150C then at 180C. Except commercial frozen fries are already precooked, so you cook them once.

>he only cooks his fries twice

Need more info user.

Are you cutting your own? What temp are you using?

>Cutting your own.
The fuck,I will not cut the neighbors ones.

best fries happen when you fry them in a regular pan with not much oil, like you are frying eggs or whatever

its such a pain in the ass tho, jesus christ, i sometimes but and peel 2 kilos of potatoes but i gotta have my whole evening free for the whole process
its worth it tho

A hassle, but they're good,

channel4.com/programmes/how-to-cook-like-heston/articles/all/triple-cooked-chips-recipe/1796

go on

A lot of people do double frying by frying once, freezing and then frying again.

I have more success by removing more water prior to frying them. After you cut your potatoes, squeeze them to get excess water out before frying them.

Belgian here.
You cook them twice. First at 150°C for 6-7 minutes (do not let them brown yet, you want to 'poach' them)
Let them cool down and heat your fat to 180°C.
Once cooled down enough, fry again for aprox. 2 minutes, et voila.

Make sure to use the right kind of potatoes, fo for the floury kind (preferable Bintje).
Fry in ox fat for extra flavour. Serve with salt and mayonaise.

thats pretty much it tb h lad, if you have the nerve and the time just buy a kilo or two, peel them, cut them, etc and fry them in a normal pan, not putting too much at once...after hour or two of frying you'd be done and have fries that taste way better than all the Mcdonalds/whatever random chain meme fries you've eaten so far

oh, and also, i prefer frying them in lard rather then any kind of vegetable oil, but you gotta be sure youll eat them at once because they become pretty shitty once they get cold if they are fried in lard

Cut floury potatoes to desired shape
Put a thin layer of oil on to a oven pan
Put said pan in 200c oven (be careful not to go over the smokepoint of your oil)
Parboil in boiling water for exactly 5 minutes
Drain and allow them to completely dry out
Add potatoes to hot oily pan and flip them around a little
Roast until GB&D

What a recipe to try
Won't the potatoes be soggy after par boil?

came here to say exactly this.
couple of tips:

1) after you peel potatoes and cut your fries, rinse them under cold water for a minute or 2 then pat'm dry THEN do the first fry at 150°C
2)Let them cooldown a bit and put'm in the fridge for an hour or 2 (if possible overnight) so they dry out a little bit and get a sort of skin that gets crispy when frying the second time

Dankje vriend :)
this is what I was looking for, will try with tonight's dinner

Very much welcome ol' chap.
Enjoy!

Fry your chips in lard rather than oil, you get a much crispier result.

I don't often twice fry, I cut the potatoes to shape, parboil them till they are softened but hold their shape, let them steam dry from their own heat, then fry at 180. Never fails.

Also, get maris piper potatoes for chips, they have the best texture and firmness.

>Won't the potatoes be soggy after par boil?

That's why you dry them out before proceeding with the recipe.

literally the only thing of note that meme chef will ever accomplish. I make them often and they are amazing. well worth the effort.

you don't it's shit "food" for shit people.

peel them, cut them, wash to remove the starch, fry for a couple minutes at 160c, let them rest (or better freeze them) , then fry again at 190c until golden brown

I deep fry once starting with cold oil. Works perfectly.

Will you explain exactly how you did it? Had bad luck last time..

I'm not the same person, but I have done that method before. Here's exactly what I did:
-cut some fresh russet potatoes into fry shapes.
-put the freshly cut fries into the basket of my deep fryer, and then set it down into the (cold) oil.
-set fryer to 375F and turned it on.
-removed fries from the oil when they were golden brown.

In my experience it works just as well as the traditional double-fry method, though the parboil first and then double fry yields a better texture.

Thanks, will give it a shot.

Soak your potatoes in water overnight, it'll remove a lot of starch. Pat dry with paper towel, and double fry at low then high temps. For extra craziness, you can do a super quick blanch in boiling water first with a small amount of baking soda (this increases the surface area on the outside of the potato and allows for more crispiness)

Here; I used yukon gold. I couldn't get it to work right with any other potato.

You gotta blanch your fries man

Hestons Burger and Fries are top Tier