Poverty cooking thread

>CTRL-F: poor
>no results

Let's get a poverty thread going. What do you fellow poorfags eat? I've been living on a tight budget lately, and am trying to still eat very healthy.
My diet mainly consists of rice, legumes, leafy greens and fish/cheese/nuts I can find for cheap. As for fruits, I mainly eat oranges, bananas and pears.
Is this diet good enough to remain healthy?

Use this thread to share any cheap as fuck recipes, tips, whatever.

I made faux Chili Sin Carne yesterday, which was pretty good and cost me approx. 1 euro

- 1 can of red kidney beans
- 2 tomatoes
- 1/2 onion
- 5 cloves of garlic
- Chili Peppers (I used Sambal Oelek instead, which is just ground peppers and salt anyway)
- Splash of cheap red wine
- Some oil/butter
- Spices: salt, pepper, cumin
- Cup of wholegrain rice

Boil water for rice.
Rinse beans.
Dice onion, garlic and peppers. Fry garlic on medium heat in a pan. Add peppers and stir untill you have a nice garlic-chili mix.
Add onions and brown. When brown, add tomatoes. Simmer for a bit, then add splash of red wine. When reduced, add beans and spices, let it simmer a 10 minutes.

Voila, cheap and full of flavour.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=IRDL3lPQSkc
youtube.com/watch?v=3QdzHuhJ-ls
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

homemade baguette with extra virgin olive oil, garlic slices and canned sardines with pepper and salt on it.

canned sardines are like 1e per a meal but full of them good omega threes.

homemade bread, garlic and oil are quite cheap.

Oh yes I'm a big fan of canned sardines.
This sounds very tasty, gonna give it a try. Any recipe for the baguette by any chance? Never baked much before.

kinokogohan (mushroom rice)
-wash 2 cups rice
-chop mushrooms (shiitake and shimeji but other mushrooms are fine)
-mix rice with 2 tbsp soy sauce, mirin, sake
-put in rice cooker
-put in mushrooms
-press "cook"

>Is this diet good enough to remain healthy?
Yes, this is quite healthy and essentially the same things I eat.

However when you have a low intake of animal products, whether due to health, budget or both, you should probably supplement vitamin B12, and you may want to supplement iodine (not if you eat fish regularly), and _maybe_ zinc (not if you eat cheese or red meat regularly) or choline (not if you eat eggs or liver regularly).

Budget-wise, I would recommend against canned beans and instead go for dry lentils - which cook much quicker than beans. If you can acquire a pressure cooker, that would open up the possibility of dry beans.

Japan, stop. Just...stop.

mix 300g flour and 200g water
let sit for 30-60 minutes
add 6g dry yeast, 6-9g salt and squeeze and fold the dough to fully incorporate the salt and yeast evenly.
let sit until around double in size
fold the edges of the dough ball into the middle of it until it forms a tight ball again, flip the seam side down
let sit until around double in size
fold the edges of the dough ball into the middle of it until it forms a tight ball again, flip the seam side down
at this point I put it in the fridge overnight, but you can also shape it instantly
shape it like in this video
youtube.com/watch?v=IRDL3lPQSkc
let it rest around 45 minutes
meanwhile, preheat oven to 250 degrees celsius with a deep pan on the bottom of the oven and a thinner pan on the middle rack
score the baguette lengthwise like in this video
youtube.com/watch?v=3QdzHuhJ-ls
put it in the oven
pour hot water on the deep pan
keep it in the oven until it's beautiful and brown
remember to flip it upside down at some point, to get an even all around color

>>Kidney beans, Tomatoes, Onion, Garlic, Chili peppers, Pepper, Cumin, Wholegrain rise.

Wow. Surprisingly healthy.

I aware about the B12. I sometimes supplement with nutrional yeast my wealthier roommate gets.
I do eat plenty of eggs and cheese, so I think I'm find on zinc and choline.

Time is what keeps me from buying dry beans. If I'm not mistaken, most kinds require hours of soaking and long cooking times?
I study and work a half time job, so time is precious.

A polish user posted this about a week ago. Still haven't tried it but it seems foolproof and sauerkraut is full of vitamin C and overall extremely healthy.

Sauerkraut

Ingredients:
>cabbage, salt, water
>optional: caraway seeds

>Slice cabbage thin.
>Add 3% sea / kosher salt by weight of cabbage. >100grams of cabbage gets 3 grams of salt.

>Mix and squeeze and allow to rest until moisture starts coming out of the cabbage.

>Optional: add about a teaspoon of caraway seeds

>Jam the cabbage in mason jars and cover with a brine solution of 1 tbs sea salt per 1 quart of water.

>Lightly put lit on so gasses can escape.

>Top off with brine daily as needed.

>3 days to a week later, you'll have a very mild and delicious kraut you can eat.

>The longer you let it ferment, the more sour it becomes.

I don't let mine go for more than a week before I tap into it. It's delicious.

>homemade baguette
this guy knows whats up. instead of sardines i like canned herring with some red onion and mustard. once you learn how to bake bread you can eat really cheap once you get into a daily baking rhythm

>Time is what keeps me from buying dry beans. If I'm not mistaken, most kinds require hours of soaking and long cooking times?

It only takes like 2 minutes to fill a kettle with dry beans and water and let it sit overnight while you sleep.
It only takes like 5 minutes to get a kettle of water boiling, and then draining the soaked beans and pouring them in.

the hands on part of cooking beans is minimal, even though the full process is like 12 hours of soaking + 90-120 minutes of boiling.

Use seaweed. It's rich on B vitamins and quite cheap. Kombu for stock, arame, hijiki and other seaweed for salad or added to stew or similar foods. If you don't want to use the soaking liquid to your cooking (which you should, its a bit intense but healthy) water your plants wit it. They will grow like crazy.

tfw not using your own sourdough for healthy ryebread

That's why I recommend lentils. Red lentils cook in 10 minutes, other ones in 35-45. Of course not everybody likes lentils as much as beans, but it's worth a try and it will be cheaper than canned beans.

In a pressure cooker, beans only take 7-10 minutes, but of course the pressure cooker itself is an investment.

I use my ricecooker to cook beans and lentils besides rice. It takes a bit more time but it works well and takes less time and effort then cooking them on the stove.

Chef Jon's rice pilaf recipe
Chef jon's chicken rice recipe
mussels and pasta (they make their own sauce)
making enormous batch of sauce and using for noodles, bakes etc.
Making a bag of flour into flatbread + whatever
Spanish tortilla
corn tortilla with egg, cheap chicken for taco
potatoes are always very cheap:
homemmade gnocchi and dumplings if you have extra time

just eat potatoes every day, you can find them for 0.7euro/kg and they are very tasty and can be cooked in different ways.

Japan, keep doing your thing

Canned fish.
Liver.
Eggs.
Beans.
Nuts.
Lentils.
Other legumes.

action shot

How is that a poor person's diet?

today I ate some premade tortellini tomorrow I'm gonna cook some wild rice and crack an egg on it. might not be real poverty tier food but it's a nice middle ground.

mushrooms are hardly poverty food. Low kcal and high price. unless they grow where you live, I guess. also the other ingredients would only really be economical if you're already eating loadsa japanese food.

Rice with salt

Depends on your definition of poor.
I used to be able to go out and eat at fancy restaurants whenever I pleased, buy the most luxurious ingredients, etc.

I quit my job and went back to college and am on a budget of 5 EUR a day for food, which I consider being kind of poor.

>salt

Fucking rich kid

>Depends on your definition of poor.

I volunteer at my meal service for my church every wednesday and sunday.

Every time, in line, you'd see niggers wearing Air Jordans, gold chains, talking on their iPhones... ALL WHILE IN THE FOOD LINE!!!

These are the same people on welfare who have flat screen TVs in their homes and shiney rims on their cars.

Our 'Merican version of "poor" = middle class living for most of the world.

chickpea are cheap af and have plenty of calories and protein desu schmesu

And before somebody plays the race card, I'm not white, nor black. Just seen too many blacks taking advantage of people's good will in my life...

for meat buy innards. yes they have a bad stigma but they are really really tasty and cost literally nothing. chicken hearts or liver are amazing

do you dice or crush the tomatoes?
looks good user might try this this weekend

definitely going to try this, thanks user
bought a back of cheap mason jars but thus far ive only been using one to store my pickled jalapenos, it'd be good to fill another one or two

lentils are fucking tasty and great for when you don't want beans
reminds me i should ask my mother for her recipe

Generally not opposed to innards, but I don't think I want to eat the innards of a factory farming animal, especially livers.

Why not? Some people tend to think of the liver as a "filter" that collects all the bad stuff but that's an incorrect view. The liver secretes enzymes that break down toxins. It doesn't "store" them.

Also, factory farmed chickens are slaughtered at a very young age. They simply aren't old enough to have accumulated any appreciable toxicity anyway.

I diced them myself, but you can crush them if you want, or used canned tomatoes.

Seitan - less than $1/lb

pic also related

>using wine anything but drowining the pain
>garlic
>butter
>spices
>wholegrain anything

You ain't poor nigger

> implying eating on a poverty budget necessarily entails also being irresponsible with your food budget

One can very well have all of those things on a budget, if you cook and don't eat out.

Yeah if you ain't poor

When I was growing up, just my parents and my brother and I, we were pretty poor. Lived in a ant-infested shithole trailer in the woods. My dad made like $10,000/year to support us (late 90s), and we had like WIC and food stamps and stuff.

But we actually ate fairly well. My mom was stay at home and would make bread from scratch, would make all sorts of soup and would make beans and chili and stuff. Never went hungry, and almost never had any fast food or anything pre-prepared (we also lived in the woods and so it wasn't feasible to get those things anyway - had to minimize trips in the car b/c of gas being expensive and being an hour from the nearest store).

I am an adult and make good money now, but most nights I eat beans and rice and home-made bread. Costs virtually nothing.

Depending on location those are cheap ingredients.

Being poor doesn't mean you have to eat microwaved garbage.

all u richfags with fancy vegetables and stuff, real men just buy a baguette early in the morning while its still warm, buy some frozen soup vegetables, boil em in water (enough soup for a week), and buy a new baguette every day.
ive been doing that for a while and it cost me around 50 cents a day.

Enjoy your lack of protein and fat

1polska kielbasa
3 carrots
1/2 an onion
Oil
2-3 potatoes.

Make the potatoes into mashed potatoes, it's a side/filler or you could make rice I guess.

Oil a pan, put sliced kielbasa, onion, and carrot in. Cook it till it satisfies your sensibilities. It costs like $3.50 but it's enough for 4 people.

eh, still alive. and its not that I eat that for weeks on end. with the amount of soup i make I usually last a week

>poor
>buys a fucking fresh baguette
>every day
you're broken in the brain you dick.

Just fry the vegetables in rapeseed oil a bit and maybe add some chicken if you can afford it. Eat the soup with rice and you are good.

idk how much a baguette costs in your niggercountry but its cheap as balls here
that actually doesnt sound that bad

Maybe a frozen baguette. but one from a baker? fuck off. cheaper than making your own baguette? I fucking doubt it.

its not from a big supermarket. costs around 30 cents. and making it yourself costs time and thats something i dont have (and also doesnt taste nearly as good)

where do you live?

belgium

you get 3 baguettes on a euro? that seems really strange, I can't get fresh bread for less than 2-3 euro to save my life.

jezus... yea its really not expensive (its not multigrain tho)

you now realize that 95% of poor people are poor because they're retarded

I made a pretty good bean stew type thing the other night i dont have any real measurments because i just eyeballed it but
pinto beans
lentils
butter
ketchup
worcestershire sauce
pinch of sugar
herbs and spices of your choosing (I used dried oregano, dried rosemary, salt, pepper, paprika, cayenne pepper, and a very small dash of onion powder, basically whatever i had lying around)
i just put the lentils and beans together in well salted water and brought to a boil then reduced to medium and simmered for a couple hours until the beans were tender, making sure to add just enough water to cover the beans, after the beans were tender i added all my herbs and spices, Worcestershire sauce, ketchup, pinch of sugar, butter, and simmered that mixture together until the water formed a sort of gravy, topped it with some extra cheese i had sitting in my fridge

tell me your secrets user. i'm in belgium pretty often but i haven't seen a baguette for under 60-70 cents. food in general seems pretty expensive in belgium at least in delhaize in carrefour, colruyt just looks cheap but it's not that different from those two

Mac and cheese + anything else

Salsa is at the center of my diet. I eat it every day sometimes with every meal. I use it as a condiment for burritos, rice and beans, fried pork chops, tacos, etc. After a few days, I'll puree it and use it to braise a cheap cut of beef until its fork tender. I eat it with my eggs. And, of course, I fry stale corn tortillas for chips and dip.

Tomatoes, limes, peppers, onion, cumin, and cilantro are easy to come by and cheap as dirt where I live. All you need is rice, beans, meat with lots of connective tissue, a carton of eggs, corn tortillas, a bottle of hot sauce, and maybe some bananas and oranges. You've got breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Location? Where I am, seitan is very expensive hipster vegan meat replacement

I make it myself, just a really well kneaded dough of vital wheat gluten, salt, and water, fried in some cheap vegetable oil, then pressure cooked with vegetable stock and seasonings, let rest overnight then cut into steaks, seasoned, and seared/fried before serving.

Where do you buy the glutenflour? Or do you buy flour and wash it yourself?

I get mine in bulk from Winco* for about $4/lb, and 1 lb of it has 340 or so grams of protein.

* sort of like a free-entry Costco that only takes debit/cash, makes you bag your own groceries, pays employees really well, and typically has the best prices for everything + a good bakery, huge bulk selection

Why a baguette and not a regular shaped bread?

>If you can acquire a pressure cooker, that would open up the possibility of dry beans.
this. If you live next to a goodwill or similar thrifty store pop in now and then and you'll find a pressure cooker for dirt cheap.

chicken lentil soup: easy mode
chicken broth
onions
garlic
carrots
split red lentils
butter

pretty much all of the ingredients can be changed based on taste and I'm going to assume we all know how to make a simple soup.

>chop onion and garlic
>add to sauce pan along with butter
>cover and sweat
>add chicken stock and desired seasonings
>slice carrots thin
>add carrots and lentils (keep in mind split red lentils absorb a bit less water than rice. I dont cook with lentils much but I think they increase in size by about 25%)
>simmer covered for 5 or so minutes

Bon Jovi Teat!

forgot to add
Once you add the chicken stock, add some water as well. Let it simmer for awhile before you add carrots and lentils. You want that onion and garlic to infuse into the broth.

Poverty eh?

> Pizza
Get a Jack's pizza, or $4 rising crust knockoff from aldis or save a lot

Sprinkle a little bit of salt all over the top of the cheese followed by garlic powder (not garlic salt)... maybe 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of both.

Upgrades flavor of cheese to make the pizza worth eating.

> Chinese

Get Parboiled Rice, cook it.
Microwave it after cooking it to get more moisture out of it.

Throw in an unwarmed skillet and turn the stove on low.

Pile the rice up in a mound and gently pour a stream of oil (preferably sesame oil, or peanut oil) so that it soaks through the rice evenly. This way you use less oil frying your rice than if you had put it in the pan (to conserve this more expensive oil).

Sprinkle a copius amount of Garlic Powder, Onion Powder, and some Ginger Powder on top of it. Now turn the heat up and mix everything up and keep stirring the rice (about every couple minutes) to make sure everything is getting browned evenly.

When its about done, add frozen vegetables and anything else you want in it. After the vegetables thaw, start dousing the rice in soy sauce (preferably low sodium variety, has a stronger flavor).

>really poor
Bread from the local food pantry, or discount french loaves from walmart.

Before you take a bite of otherwise unadulterated bread eat a couple chips then chew the bread along with them. Or eat a piece of chocolate and then chew on the bread.

Someone told me a technique they use in prison is taking cake icing and spreading it on butter, supposedly makes it taste reminiscent of a cake.

Also in the absence of butter, since butter/marg does not keep, you can put something like Marinade on it and that provides enough flavor to eat the bread as is. herb+garlic, lemon pepper, that sorta thing.

Steak sauce doesn't really do it though, thats about as bad as peanut butter.

If you can, drink a soda just prior to eating bread (or anything else), the gas will make your stomach feel a little bit more full.

I live near an HEB and a Krogers, where do I find cheap innards in those places?
And a WalMart, but that's a far walk for frozen stuffs.

Cheap tip: Make stock from the carcasses of store-bought rotisserie chickens. Eat what you want from the chicken, pick off remaining meat, freeze bones and meat separately. After I save 2-3 carcasses, I put them in a crockpot with ~8-10 cups of water and cook on low for 10+ hours. Works great.

How do I get beans kind of gooey like that? I need to learn more dishes with beans.

>Rotisserie chickens

I hope you meant cheapo turkeys the day after Christmas.

That works too.

I ate food bank food for a few months
Best thing they had was canned sockeye salmon

low and slow for fucking forever

So just slow cooker for like 2 days?

>skim wall of text
>cover butter with cake icing... its reminiscent of cake
>you're welcome poor fags

okay normally I'm pretty immune to Japan's weirdness, but that's too far

there is a family dollar a couple blocks away from me, so i tend to buy pretty shitty food. one of my favorites is any proportions of:

frozen corn
canned diced tomatoes w/chiles
canned black beans
white chili seasoning
chicken breasts
add water to desired consistency

it's not very healthy, but i can make over 2 gallons of filling soup for less than $6

Are you fucking stupid friend? That is the safest shit you can possibly buy at that store.

You are avoiding chemical wheat additives, not legitimate vegetables. Fuck man get your head straight, that shit is fine to eat.
And stop it with your 'health' meme. There is either poison or there is food and you can read the ingredients.

fair enough lol

You don't gotta eat like shit because your poor. But with that middle idea, you gotta put a mixture of rice vinegar and soy sauce in the rice to really get it going. The vinegar is essential, it's what all the casual asianish dishes I'd been attempting to make were missing

Chiming in bread myself

3 cups flour (oat is best)

Few pinches of salt

Small amount of oil (like a tablespoon or les)

About a tablespoon of baking powder

Mix and then add just enough water to make tough dough

Shape into disk about an inch thick and you can slap that shit right down onto a frying pan on medium low

Cook until side is browned and flip, let the same again and so on until you can stab it and the thing is clean and tapping the bread makes a hollow noise

Wrap in foil or put in bag for a bit while it cools and it will soften up

Quick and fukken easy. No rising dough wait and you can observe right on stovetop

Add basically whatever the fuck you want to it

I've been eating a lot of chick pean/mung bean dal, chicken tikka masala with a bunch of chicken I had got for a good deal and froze, and vegetable curry with whatever I can find that's decently priced. I went to a new asian market today that had various bags of veges/nightshades for 2 bucks a bag. Got 5 red bell peppers for 2 bucks (there's about 1 dollar each at most grocery stores here), a bunch of cheap onions and ginger, and a bag full of mini egg plants that i cooked up tonight trying to mimic a local pakistani place.
i've been loo-ing it up.

Chicken (whatever is cheapest)
Spices (those little mexican packets you see in the latino section are pretty cheap)
Sauteed Cabbage (takes like 5 seconds)

pretty filling

That's what we call Nigga Rich

I think if he had fish/meat maybe 2 or 3 days a week he'd be good

>Salsa is at the center of my diet
This is great, pico de gallo is super cheap and super healthy
It's just
>tomatoes
>onions
>garlic
>some kind of pepper
>lime
>salt

Fry spaghetti noodles with olive oil, diced tomatoes, basil, and crushed red peppers.

If you're the girl you're trying to fuck is dumb enough she'll think it's actually a high brow meal.

Get a sliced french baguette at Walmart for $1.

Fry bacon and eggs and remove when they're at the consistency you like.

Fry hashbrowns in the bacon fat until golden.

Deglaze the pan with Tabasco to make a gastrique.

Put all between two slices of that bread and you've got a sandwich that will get you to lunch and then some.

>If you're the girl you're trying to fuck

I usually am

Holy fuck my sides

>spaghetti noodles
Or as it's known to the rest of the world, spaghetti.

>French baguette
>French
>baguette
Thanks for clarifying that, brains.
Do you buy Italian pasta as well?

>gastrique
I don't think you know what that word means.