Alan Moore

What do the august perigrinators of /lit think of the Mage of Northampton?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=d6wg4f_XAYA
youtube.com/watch?v=tpHuAcKBZlg
youtube.com/watch?v=jRLl-cb2ntI
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Sadly one of the best comic authors ever.

Jerusalem was the best thing I read this year

He just looks more like Rasputin as he ages

I once saw him in Caffe Nero in Northampton. Took me about twenty minutes after leaving the shop to realise who it was.

Love him. His conversations with Stewart Lee are great.

youtube.com/watch?v=d6wg4f_XAYA

He's in there semi regularly.

>He just looks more like Rasputin as he ages

>fullquoting

>
>>fullquoting
Who are you quoting?

>
>>
>>>fullquoting
>Who are you quoting?
@8861859
What?

youtube.com/watch?v=tpHuAcKBZlg
Moore BTFO!

I love him...

He has an ethereal koind of moind

>After thinking about this long and hard, the last truly great book I read would have to be “Infinite Jest,” by David Foster Wallace. Yeah, sorry. This was my first exposure to Wallace’s work, only a month or two ago, and I don’t think there’s anything about the novel that doesn’t impress me: its stream of satirical invention, with conventional dating gone in favor of a subsidized calendar and the Year of the Depend Adult Undergarment; its mandarin prose that perfectly conjures the trancelike drift of a modern consciousness overwhelmed by detail; and its breathtaking risks with structure, so that the whole experience seems to pivot upon a climactic resolving chapter — either right at the end of the narrative or right at the beginning — which does not actually exist and which therefore requires the reader to create it herself, from slender inference. I think the moment I probably fell in love with Wallace as a writer was the point where I realized that I was actually meant to be irritated by all of the occasionally crucial footnotes. An author after my own heart, and a genuine modern American diamond in the tradition of Thomas Pynchon, Robert Coover and Gilbert Sorrentino.

>I also read a whole stack of books by Slavoj Zizek, like “The Year of Dreaming Dangerously” and “Living in the End Times,” but the bulk of my reading over the last several years has been research.

He's /ourguy/.

Tfw he says he'll write more books

Really? Cool. Last I heard was he'd finish Providence and Cinema Purgatorio, then god knows what. Do we have any info on the new books?

His newest project seems to involve dressing up like a mandrill and doing a rap about dictators
youtube.com/watch?v=jRLl-cb2ntI

Who else /Northampton/ here?

its fucking grim.

You know, I get this sneaking suspicion that Moore might be a little bit odd.

i think Moore's a keenly unique intellect who wasted the bulk of his years writing comic crap when he could have been writing literature and honing his craft. Jerusalem is a challenging work but is no Infinite Jest or Gravity's Rainbow. all the magic stuff is rather silly British tripe I wish he'd grow out of.

>requires the reader to create it herself
Sounds like the typical pandering, ingratiating, pseudo-liberal pagan. I can't take a man seriously who not only calls himself a wizard, but loses his wife to a woman by whom he was cucked.

>all the magic stuff is rather silly British tripe I wish he'd grow out of.
See, on this point I couldn't disagree more - it certainly sounds stupid at first glance, but at the heart of what he's trying to do. He's not claiming to have actual "powers" as such, like telepathy or whatever /x/ bangs on about, he's basically just saying "ideas and stories have the power to alter people's minds, and thus change reality". A bit like "meme magic" really. And you can certainly point to things like Anonymous using his V mask, and say that reality would be different if he hadn't written that story.

>perhaps too metaphysical for you (woman) to understand
I like him a bit more

>sneering at aspects of a writer's background or personal life rather than addressing the actual concept he brings up
Social media was a mistake.

>Watchmen
>V for Vendetta
>Swamp Thing
>plan to read Jerusalem
what should I read between now and Jerusalem? Is From Hell Moore-good, or just good?

well, you see, any simple cunt can reach that conclusion without all the magic Crowley, Dee, Kabbalah, Glycon stuff. that's what makes his work (some of it, not all) immature. if he'd grown out of it, like many a Brit and American does at a respectable age, and produced quality work, he wouldn't be such an eyesore and taken seriously.

>if he'd grown out of it
He's grown into it.

From Hell is his best comic.

Hmm, I'm surprised to hear that but it makes me only more interested to check it out.

I second the assertion. From Hell really is a great read. the seminal Jack the Ripper fiction.

Going to have to find someone to borrow it from, with four copies of the 'Jest in my apt and some other big-books I have no room for From Hell!

>well, you see, any simple cunt can reach that conclusion
Funny you should say that

Used to live near Northampton, never went though because even Milton Keynes was more attractive. Living in York now though, go Tristram Shandy.

indeed. never said i was unfamiliar with his work. ;)

So what would you consider "quality work" that'd be "taken seriously"? It's not like using magical or metaphysical ideas in writing is some ridiculous unheard-of concept; Moore clearly draws inspiration from Blake's visionary period, like the original Jerusalem and the "Ghost of a Flea" bit in From Hell.

Used to live there. Now live in Birmingham.

Not sure which is the more grim desu.

It's not just the Flea moment; parts of Gull's dialogue are practically word-for-word Marriage of Heaven and Hell. And he did a spoken-word piece called "Angel Passage" that's all about Blake.

>ywn meet John Constantine in a random sandwich shop

From Hell is goddamn insane, read it

He has the concluding League of Extraordinary Gentlemen piece too.

>immature
>grown out of
>respectable age
>taken seriously

Are you memeing? I'm thinking about getting it.

Not in the least if you go in with some conception of him overreaching or trying something he isn't able to do. If you go in with an open mind and some patience you might enjoy it

He had said to an interviewer maybe I'll see you again in ten years when I'm finished my next book. I think he said it in a jokey way but he'll probably write more

Thats what dfw did and he's just explaining it and you feel the need to shit on him

Ah, neat. Hope he does some more short pieces too, Cold Reading and some of the other stuff from Dodgem Logic were great

I prefer Frank Miller. Dark Knight Returns was okay, but Batman Year One was fantastic. I also really liked his first few Sin City comics.

Would you fug Alma Warren?

She was Miss Pears. P sure that was for like little kids though, so the question would be would she win a beauty contest at an older age.

I'd fuck the pretty one who's baby dies or the one who got ghost fucked early in the book

>>
>>
>>>
>>>>fullquoting
>>Who are you quoting?
>@8861859
>What?

This war between 80s comic icons is manufactured af.