Sake general

redpill me on sake

either that or call me a weeb, your choice

Other urls found in this thread:

sakeone.com/momokawa
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I'm far from an expert on Sake, but one thing I can relate is that freshness of sake is very very important. Unlike wine most sake does NOT do well as it ages.

This can create a problem if you're buying sake in the west. Because sake is a niche product outside of Japan the bottles you see on the shelf might have been there for months. They were likely sitting in a liquor distributor's warehouse for months before they were even shipped to the shop. The result is nasty tasting sake.

So make sure you buy it from somewhere that has decent turnover. Look for liquor stores in Chintown, or for Asian supermarkets that stock sake--those places tend to have much better turnover for sake than a Western liquor store so they are likely to have fresher product.

Some brands print dates on the bottles; check these!

thanks for the advice user

double agree with this desu

If you live on the west coast of the US and aren't a total weeb purist, there are several Sake breweries here. Shouldn't be too hard to find some traditional stuff that wasn't shipped over the pond.

>Look for liquor stores in Chintown
Maybe that's true in California, it's certainly not true in NYC. The best sake shops are stand-alone sake shops, the second best are korean-run liquor stores.

When I was in Japan one thing I learned is that there is a huge range of flavor profiles for Sake.

A lot of people try Sake in America that is shitty quality and think they dont like it. Thats kinda like trying some hobo wine and saying you dont like red wine.

weeb

All wine is the same. All sake is the same. Nice things are a scam. Now here is a 10,000 word essay on the exact differences between Goose Island pre-buyout and post-buyout and why they are literally hitler and the beer is total piss swill
t. Veeky Forums

How bout you stick a sake bottle up your ass? How's that for a redpill faggot?

Ya Oregon is quickly becoming the sake capital of the US. Try Momo Kawa if you can they have easy to understand bottles. So you can get dry or sweet very easily.
Also its about half the price of japanese sake of the same quality.

sakeone.com/momokawa

>Also its about half the price of japanese sake of the same quality
Whoa now let's not get too crazy here. Momokawa is easy to find and in most cases better than anything else at its price point, but that's because at that price point it's pretty much competing with Gekkeikan-tier swill

To say it's equal to sake that costs 2x as much is not true

weeb

Posting twice is a cry for help

Here (You) go, get better soon user

Only posted once - after seeing the other poster, although - but thanks for the (You) my dude.

One time when I was 12 my parents took me to a hibachi place and the hibachi man squirted some sake into my mouth even though i was clearly just a kid. That was pretty nice of him I think.

Does this matter if I'm only using it for cooking and marinades or will it getting over aged ruin my food?

How strong is sake?

I drink cheep (plasic bottle) 40% vodka and whisky. What's an equivalent sake to try?

reddit king

:)

Weeb.

is this why every singe time I've had sake I've fucking hated it?

Except that one time in LA where I got hot sake with seared blowfish fins floating around in it, that was good

split a bottle of delicious coconut sake with a friend and we ended up fucking that night so take that as you will

I don't have a particular interest in sake, but I'd like to try it. There's a nice sushi bar that I'd like to go back to to order omikase (I was with a party at a table before, so I couldn't) and was thinking of killing two birds with one stone and trying it there. Is sake appropriate to drink with sushi?

If so, what should I ask for? Fresh and sweet? Hot, cold, or room temperature? I have no preference, I'll try anything at least once.

The best sake is from Saijo, Japan near Hiroshima. I have tried different types of Sakes in the best, but the sake from there blew me away. Try visiting all the breweries there if you can. It's highly encouraged. My one regret is not buying a plum sake from the Kamomatsuru brewery.

>general

Sake is graded in a way that makes it easy to get high quality bottles. Since you're in the US most everything is going to be junmai jingo. This is respectable grade but varies in flavor. Junmai daijingo is the highest grade and tends to be anywhere between 25-60$ a bottle. It's amazing stuff.

There's plenty to learn and explore, but here's a rule of thumb: drink cheap sake hot, quality sake chilled

From my experience, Sake can either taste like juice with alcohol, or like sweet whiskey.
The former is pretty bad, while I actually enjoyed the latter. I have no idea what brands I've drinked, unfortunately, but if you don't like water-like sweetness, Sake isn't for you.

"junmai" sake is sake brewed from rice fermentation only. If a sake bottle does not have that word, additional alcohol was added to the brewing process. Non-junmai sake is pretty gross imo, so keep an eye out for that designation. Think of it like the "single malt" of the sake world

Best sake I ever drank was in Kyoto, Eikun kotosennen. Haven't managed to find it stateside however. Close second was ikki na onna from Tedorigawa. This is still hard to find but is available in the US. Amazing bottles both!

Junmai means the rice is less polished than a Ginjo sake

Was it this brand?

Why do all the sake products itt look like they are packaged in feminine hygeine product packages?

this looks like a feminine hygiene product? do you live in the muromachi era?

Don't microwave sake to get it hot. I stunk up my whole house from doing that.

If you like whiskey and vodka, shochu might be more to your liking than sake.

Though if you're just looking for cheap hobo sake, Gekkeikan is a good place to start your adventure.

I really enjoyed this and no one responded you, so here is your validation

I live across the street from the Takara Sake Factory in Berkeley. Lower priced stuff is of decent quality and worth trying to get a taste for sake.

No it doesn't. Junmai specifically refers to a type of sake that is free of any additional alcohol. Gingo or daigingo are the terms that indicate high levels of rice milling. You can have a daigingo shu (high milling, added alcohol)

Cheap sake tastes like when i like girl asshole clean.

Nah, stateside. I was in Osaka and Kyoto a while back and got into a sake tasting.

Gekkeikan is universally reviled as being too garbage to even cook with

Hence the hobo designation. From the sound of it, user was looking for bottom of the barrel alcohol, just a step above prison toilet hooch. Gekkeikan it is, then.

This really isn't a thing until you crack the bottle open. Once that happens, yes, try to enjoy it all night or three.

This. What a terrible suggestion for a sake embassador.

Hakutsuru - Sho-Une Junmai Daiginjo Is a cheap but highly accessible daijingo with decent flavor that will be your entry point into sake. If one drinks it and is left wanting more, you can start looking into higher quality stuff.

Pretty much. Sake typically stays decent for a year if unopened.

That said, the sooner the better

>the quality of the content of the bottle isn't important until you drink it
You don't say!

what about the whole hot vs cold thing? Ive heard lower quality is served hot, better quality is served chilled, or something? or was that the other way around?

No, you got it right the first time: hot is for the cheap stuff

Sake is actually beer, not wine.

>reading comprehension

Tastes like mild vodka with a slight hint of berry.

It may sound a lot better as a drink than it is, if you want wine then get some good red wine.

>Tastes like mild vodka with a slight hint of berry.
I don't know what you drank, but it wasn't sake

Drink it on the rocks

Does heating up the sake somehow make it taste better? And how would you do that by yourself?
I have never heard of anything but cold alcohol, however have seen a lot of shit about sake being hot

Don't drink that overhyped and overpriced (thanks to weebs) drink for god's sake

Was that a pun?

I was making an opinion, but I found out that I could fit a pun in there too

Although I've only drank Japanese Sake a few times, I like making my own (pic) related. It's different from brewing beers and wines, so it's a challenge. The Sake drinkers I know who've tried it have told me it's similar to some of the better than average imports.

wrong answer, drink it warm