Hello

Hello

I am conducting a very simple survey across Veeky Forums, Veeky Forums , & /ic/ .
Please take a moment of your time to answer these questions, i`ll post the results soon

>Do you carry a pen/pencil with you everyday?
> If yes, what do you use?
>Do you carry a notebook with you everyday?
>In your personal opinion, what is the highest triumph of humananities achievments thus far?
(Can be anything from astronomical observations to the printing press to cheese pizza)
>What do you consider to be the high forms of art?
>The low forms?

>triumph of humananities achievments thus far?

You mean achievements by humans in general or from the humanities (arts and culture)?

The first 4 questions are going to be massively skewed by people still in school (who all need writing utensils and notebooks).

Sorry, it's a little poorly worded
I meant by humans in general.

then maybe i`ll do a follow up survey and see if there is any relation to board demographics

>Sorry, it's a little poorly worded
>I meant by humans in general.
spoopy

>>Do you carry a pen/pencil with you everyday?

No.

>> If yes, what do you use?

N/A.

>>Do you carry a notebook with you everyday?

No.

>> If yes, what do you use?

N/A.
>>In your personal opinion, what is the highest triumph of humananities achievments thus far?

Something literary. Definitely not something scientific or artistic.

>(Can be anything from astronomical observations to the printing press to cheese pizza)

Hahahahahahahaha he said pizza

>>What do you consider to be the high forms of art?

Literature.

>>The low forms?

Science and visual art

I'm not in school
I carry a mechanical pencil and a notebook
I use it to record my shitty philosophical thoughts because my memory is trash.
I guess the highest achievement is the written word.
Literature and music are the highest forms of art. I guess 'art' is up there too but I don't really care for it. Stuff like games and movies are at the bottom because there is too much shit that gets in the way from dream to reality.

Yes
Disposable mechanical pencil
Yes
A notebook
>In your personal opinion, what is the highest triumph of humanity?
Language
Dialogue (in any form).
>The low forms?
Commercial art.

I'm in school so I carry a pen, a pencil and a notebook.
A4 format with horizontal lines, I guess?
>In your personal opinion, what is the highest triumph of humananities achievments thus far?
The totality of art, philosophy and science (including math, excluding practical technology).
I feel that different art forms are incomparable and of equal worth, so "high" and "low" art forms don't really exist.

>incomparable
>of equal worth
Explain yourself.

I cannot really for example compare and evaluate music and literature. Their means and ends are radically different. Comparing them is like comparing curtains and bananas. So, neither is more valuable, they are of equal value.
How shitty is my logic?

yes
pilot g2 or similar or mechanical pencil
used to, now I just use a phone app
used to carry little moleskines. Now phone app or folded piece of paper in my wallet.
medical technology, but I'm biased because it saved my life.
expressive/honest
>The low forms?
commercial/contrived

Yes.

Graphite buttplug.

Yes.

The corners of books.

Cheese pizza if you know what I mean tbqh

One you perform while on drugs.

>The low forms?
One you perform in a basement.

I think you are right that are not easily comparable and maybe impossible to compare, which is why I question how you can call them equal (which is a comparison).

I think I agree with you in a way, but it doesn't seem very solid. I think it comes down to what you mean by value. What do you think?

Generally - I keep a pen in my eyeglass case (wrapped within the microfiber cloth, so that the lenses don't get damaged).
Fine tipped pens I like non-black/non-blue colored ink to spice things up for myself, like purple.
If I have a backpack or small carrying bag with me then yes. Otherwise, I substitute a notebook with my phone.
Small-ish spiral notebook - not pocket sized, but not college-ruled
>In your personal opinion, what is the highest triumph of humananities achievements thus far?
Works from the past that have continued to affect people to this day, and will affect people far after we're gone (The Greeks (in the least meme-y way), religious texts, stuff like "The Art of War", "The Republic", The Iliad/Odyssey, Shakespeare, etc.). Anything that has reached across time to touch, teach, or be adapted still.
Literature/poetry, sculpture (not modern art "Look I made my shit into the shape of a snake" trash), music (to an extent).
>The low forms?
Modern Art, anything New Sincerity, average hollywood comedy or romance

Most days, but not every day, I'll carry either a muji gel pen with a small moleskine notepad or a fountain pen with an A4 Rhodia dot pad
The internet
Literature, poetry, ballet, symphony, painting, sculpture: anything that requires and rewards previous understanding and experience with it's form
>The low forms?
Anything easily accessible: popular music, paintings of cottages, genre fiction.

Yes
A mechanical pencil
Yes
Any notebook, usually lined, around 200 pages.
Higher order inference
All art, inasmuch as they're an apollonian imitation
>The low forms?
All art, inasmuch as they're a dionysian imitation

Yes. Pic related.

Yes, if it's not for my classes it'll be a legal pad of some sort—anything I can use to jot down ideas quickly.

>In your personal opinion, what is the highest triumph of humanity's achievements thus far?
Global communication.

I appreciate accuracy and effort more than the expressionist pieces that are so popular today. Things like realistic statues, animation, literature, and detailed digital art impress me.

>The low forms?
Pixel art, expressionism, minimalism, photography, etc.

No, but I have a drawer full at work, one in my car, and one in my backpack
Just whatever is handy. Work has a shitton of bics, I keep pilot g2s in my car and bag
Yes
Moleskine, but normally I use composition notebooks
Everything that modern medicine can achieve. No single advance, just the sum of it is truly incredible.
Literature (this includes poetry), painting, sculpture, film
>The low forms?
Video games, trash novels, blockbuster movies. Most television, especially the quasi-artistic shit like breaking bad

I forgot to put music in the high art forms

Yes

I carry a simple black ball point pen, and a black archival marker.

I do not carry a notebook every day.

But I do carry a yellow legal pad in my backpack every day that I go to school, just for scribblings.

The greatest achievement of humanity is unquestionably global economy—as for the "highest" achievement, the criterion here is too historical to be of any "objective" use, so I cannot answer that question honestly.

As for "highest" and "lowest" art forms, see my previous response. But I can tell you that I think film, sculpture, and that other form called the "installation" are the most interesting art forms of our day, as well as the genre of writing called "theory," even though this at times treads too far into metaphysics to be of any use.

I think that novels are basically exhausted, and that painting is getting harder to justify, considering all that 3D modeling and rendering have made possible.

>Yes
>Mechanical pencil

>Yes
>Always a lined spiral bound notebook

>Recent developments in pure math, particular shit like abstract algebra and computability/recursion theory

>Literature, music, painting, architecture (although I don't know too much about it and don't have a very refined taste for it.)
>TV, most film, genre fiction, pop music

yes, a uniball air and a cross multifunction pen/pencil with red and black ink
yes, a diary montblac, it fits in my back pocket.

understanding disease and microorganisms
high:music, film, writing of any kind, socializing
low: drug socializing, public transportation, large art warehouses

How do you keep the tip from bending? I only carry a mechanical pencil if it can retract. I like this one but it's out of production so I'm scared of losing it ;_;

on phone, hard to detail

developing my own punctuation as you can see

Yes.
Dr. Grip pen.
Yes.
It's a little notepad with blank yellow pages that my grandfather recently gave to me.
Accepting Christ as its Lord.
Literature. Painting and sculpture from the right eras/movements.
>The low forms?
Dance.

yes
Ticonderoga Dixon #2 (soft)
yes
Martha Stewart
Atoms / subatomic particles + their applications
music & literature
>The low forms?
movies & videogames

>no
>no
>The Internet
>Writing, sculpting, painting, drawing, composing, chorography
>Remixing, Plays, playing instruments/singing, dancing

>yes
>standard cheap biro
>yes
>standard cheap spiral-bound copy
>greatest achievement: Improved hygiene, better healthcare
>high art: film, literature, anime
>low art: film, literature, anime

Yes
Pen
Sort of
If an idea comes to mind and I'm in a position where I can't immediately write, I'll type a brief sentence in the notes on my phone. When I get the oppertunity, I'll write a more detailed draft concerning the idea in an actual notebook that I usually, but not always, keep on my person.
>In your personal opinion, what is the highest triumph of humanities achievements thus far?
No singular achievement can account for humanity as a whole. However, I think the rise of the Internet definitely contends as the most crucial event to impact me directly.
I think it's misguided to try and place art into castes of high and low. Just because a particular medium or artist hasn't had as much of an impact on me as another doesn't mean that said medium or artist lacks the potential to be impacting. Granted, I still have my preferences. I'm more keen to visit an art gallery than play a video game. However, this doesn't mean that video games are lesser than painting. I am simply yet to find a game that impacts me to the same degree. It's possible that this may change in the future so I keep my doors open by giving VG equal footing to forms of art I already enjoy.
>The low forms?
See last question

>science
>art

wtf are u doin m7

No
No
My existence. Far from me to want to convince you that I happen to be of consequence to you or humankind, but were I not here I wouldn't be able to experience, learn and benefit from and and all other achievements by this species, so it's kind of important to me, and you did ask for a personal opinion of mine
Works I like, assuming you wanted an honest answer.
>The low forms?
My handwriting, which I believe would qualify for irredeemably evil even by the standards of contemporary art

This kid is retarded.

no
no
writing and language in general
i'm not versed enough in art to give an opinion
ditto

Yes.
A #2 mechanical pencil. Nine millimeter Bic.
Yes.
I use a wide ruled composition book.
The Iliad.
Theatre, acting, dance, architecture, ceramics, visual art, music, poetry, and prose.
>The low forms?
Propaganda.

Yes
Bic 4pen, palamino blackwing
Normally
Cheap spirax, very small
(Can be anything from astronomical observations to the printing press to cheese pizza)
Far too grand of a question. Agriculture, or something.
Dont really care
>The low forms?
Video games, anime, manga, cartoons for adults, graphic novels etc.

Look at the boards he is surveying

>Carry a pen/pencil?
No
>Carry a notebook?
No, I jot down all observations and notes on my phone
>Highest triumph of humanity?
Space travel
>High forms of art?
Literature, poetry, painting, music
>Low forms of art?
I don't really consider stuff like commercial entertainment art, anyways, so I guess I have no opinion on this

>Yes
>A busted ass blue Bic pen
>Yes
>A small notebook intended for travels
>Landing on the moon, the Internet and everything philosophy
>Art has a subjective value so anything
>Refer to above statement