Good Romance Novels (Oxymoron?)

I'm just gonna go on a spurt so here I go:

>Are romance novels any good?
>Can romance novels have literary merit?
>Can you recommend some good romance novels?
>Are romance novels only appealing to woman?
>Are all romance novels too corny?
>What is considered a good romance novel?
>Is there romance novels not catered only toward women?

I don't read any romance because to me it's all corny, but I've been trying to expand my reading taste, and I thought I'd give some romance a try.

I'm not sure these count as pure romances but the books that come to mind as a starting point are Ethan Frome and Return of the Native

Well, just like with horror and science fiction, romance novels from the 1800s are usually well regarded. But whereas I'm a fan of popular "pleb" horror and science fiction/fantasy I'm unfamiliar with popular "pleb" romance novels so I can't really give recommendations in that area.

I would personally recommend Fortress Besieged by Qian Zhongshu.

Well, in Pride and Prejudice the appeal for females is that Mr. Darcy is hot, and the appeal for males is that Elizabeth Bennet is the perfect waifu and you want to marry her.

Fortress Besieged, although the book isn't "just" romance. Also it's extremely depressing, which most classic romance novels outside of Austen's books are.

>spurt

maybe Lady Chatterley's Lover

I can't speak to how good it is but it is culturally significant

catch a mate my gena showalter :^)

Norwegian Wood by H. Murakami sort of

>I think I want to let you fuck me in the ass
What did she mean by this?

Victoria by Knut Hamsun

braaap

El Zarco by Ignacio Manuel Altamirano

The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger is good.

Just read Ovid

Story of the eye

Heard of it. Are D.H. Lawrence's other novels similar?

Source?

True Detective season 1

haha i've been trying to read story of the eye but it just gets more and more sexually bizarre and ridiculous

i dont even know if it could really be said to be romantic. i stopped reading it.

Reading this now. It's a love story but it's absolute shit imo. Usually I find Murakami comfy, although not particularly good, but Norwegian Wood is just garbage.

Elizabeth McCraken's The Giant's House is very good.

Tender is the night by F Scott Fitzgerald

Sons and Lovers is worth checking out. I have to warn you that it is very polarizing in that people who tend to like classical literature like it while those who look for an Austen or contemporary style romance do not

I tried reading this in high school but had to keep pausing to furiously masturbate.

Wonder if I can finish it now that my libido has cooled.

>Are romance novels any good?
They can be.
>Can romance novels have literary merit?
They can.
Jane Eyre is a good place to start. A Room with a View is another. Depending on how you categorize it, Anna Karenina.
No.
>Are all romance novels too corny?
No.
>What is considered a good romance novel?
Is this a rehash of your recommendation question, or are you asking in a more general or theoretical way?
Sure.

>are you asking in a more general or theoretical way?

Yeah, in general, what is considered a good rimance novel

this

Possession by A.S Byatt. It is a literary novel, and rather postmodern and cerebral. Still gives you the feels though.

This

what are some pulpy novels that are the romance equivalent to stuff like Raymond Chandler, Edgar Rice Burroughs, et al?

Gone With the Wind
Wuthering Heights

ugly cover