Knife thread

Ok Veeky Forums show me your knives. Just got this global 9 inch two days ago to replace my Henkel twin.

Other urls found in this thread:

chefknivestogo.com/naao2kgrbr.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>make knives
>never made a chef knife
I've made an ulu but I doubt that counts

Picked this one up about a month ago. Pretty satisfied so far.

Wish the lighting in my place was better so I could take a pic that wasn't shit. Sharpest knife I've owned, although I suppose that's not saying all that much.

What kind of knife is that? Has that "looks hand made so I assume it's awesome" look

I don't know a lot of the specifics, but it's a carbon steel santoku knife. Got it from a knife shop in Tokyo where they hand forge the knives.

>knife thread
>pretty cool knives
>people not arguing about metallurgy

Well this is foreign. Carry on.

I've been using the G2 at home for nearly a decade now and just started bringing it in to work.

It's still going strong and I still love it. That 9" looks pretty nice, though.

I use an Ikea knife because it was like 15 bux for that a bread knife and a mini slicer
It's sharp af still so far after like 5~6 months

did you make a thread about that? i feel like i remember some folks bickering over this knife, about how its just some cheap shit they rip foreigners off with

picked up this a little while ago, it isnt terrible. i like the feel of the handle and it has nice weight. stock photo because mine is at work

I didn't make a thread, but it's totally possible. It was in a district pretty far out from the center of the city though, not exactly a tourist hotspot (although I'm pretty sure the street is well known for it's cooking stores). They had an old japanese man with an enormous grindstone sharpening the knives and another guy who chiseled in inscriptions, so it looked at least somewhat legit. I'm happy with it anyways, it wasn't exorbitantly expensive.

op here, do knives with that handle shape have a different feel from traditional French style? Or does the contour happen past the grip?

Here's a pic of the store. It's pretty small (like everything in Japan).

Can someone pretty knowledgeable comment on how to care for a carbon steel knife? I wipe it off immediately after using it and dry it and it goes back in the drawer. Can I use a honing steel on it? I've heard of some people coating the blade in oil after use to prevent rust, is that really necessary?

You can use a rod on it. If it's extremely hard tempered you should consider a ceramic or glass rod, but there are plenty of carbon steel knives that would be fine with any honing rod. You don't have to coat it in oil if you aren't seeing rust appearing. It helps to keep the moisture away and prevent a patina from occurring, but it's not a must-do sort of thing for most people.

my work knives

I purchased a few new ones. Finished putting a new edge on this one tonight. Wonderful to use and easy to sharpen.

No, there was a thread about two months ago where someone posted an obviously fourth-rate knife purchased at a roadside stall. There was a lot visibly wrong withit. "Kurouchi" consisting of black paint roughed up with sandpaper, absolutely shit-tier fit and finish, handle looked like garbage, etc. Along with a sob story about how the old man had been making them for years. The thread took off because retards started screeching autistically about why do trust fund liberals pay $2500 for an overpriced knife folded over 9000 times, which was funny because it was something like $15 and there was no folding involved.

This guy's knife appears legit. The KU is real, D shaped ferrule, nothing visibly wrong with the grind and a lot visibly right.

Of course there could be stuff wrong with it that isn't visible but you could say that about any picture of a knife.

Also, when will this fad end?

I got these for the wife's birthday next month. We're simple folk, not professional chefs. I'll have to buy a santoku later. I can't live without one.

My work set

>not having a Bankai

I have three of those. Two CCK's and a Sugimoto. Fuck I love them.

oh i remember that sticker on your knife user i got a petty from kamata too same kurochi finish bretty gud desu

fuck so it's kurouchi my mistake. other nearby stalls were good too. kamaasa has a lot of western handles and i remember a foreigner working there. got myself a wok around there too

nice

can you make it smaller? it's taking too long to download on my 2400 baud modem

Dude that's pretty fucking sick

The sticker is coming off mine, which bothers me mildly, but since the knife is otherwise fine I'll just accept it.

also have a cheap meme cleaver, some shuns I never use, and a king sharpening stone

How do you like that Global filet?

It's made from chainsaw chain and ash burl.

yeah

top : korrin chicken knife from the gf
mid: fujiwara
bottom: takeda

I bought a knife block set of these for my dad's 60th next week. Did I fuck up?

>replace my Henkel twin

why?

Why would it be a problem? Functional, and beautiful. Just be sure he knows that if he's not careful, he'll easily lose a finger handling them. Cutting, cleaning, everything.

I've always been wary about giving knives as presents because non-chefs/butchers/hunters who want pro tools really don't get how incredibly sharp good knives are. No matter how many episodes of Chopped they watch. I've seen too much blood. I don't want the guilt.

Make sure you tell him to keep those knives away from bones and frozen stuff. Jap knives have much harder steel than knives - they will keep sharp longer, but they are also much more brittle. Shuns especially are notorious for chipping quite easily. Happens when you try to cut hard stuff, but it can also appen when you mince herbs and press the blade onto the cutting board too hard with your left hand while rocking and turning the blade with your right.

CHINEE CREAVER BEST BRADE
ONRY BRADE NEEDED
ONE BRADE

>much harder steel than knives
than German knives, I meant to say.
Japanes knivesin general are not meant forEuropean cutting technique (the rock-chop, where the tip of the knive doesn't leave the cutting board), instead they are lifted off theboard for every individual cut and then driven through the fodd in either a pulling (towards you) motion (usually for soft stuff, like cucumbers/zucchini) or a pushing motion (away from you). The latter is used for everything else.

I'm not OP, but I did something similar last year.

Why?
-Global is lighter
-Global keeps its edge better, i.e. requires less frequent sharpening.

You joke, but those motherfuckers work pretty well once you get used to the different grip they need. Only thing I have trouble with is finely chopping herbs, but that's a pretty minor thing.

Some of the better knives from my collection. I have another twenty or so cheaper ones in a cabinet.

btw the cartons on the left contain, among others, two Hattori FHs, an Hiromoto AS, a Herder 1922, two Tojiro DPs (one of them professionally thinned), a powder steel Miyabi 7000 MC, a Fujiwara FKM and a JCK CarboNext. The bamboo case contains a 300mm Yaxell. There are also two F. Dick 1778, one of them also professionally thinned.

The fad of sharpening knives?

I actually wasn't joking even though it seemed like it. I use one.

anyone got this or used it?

think the shape looks really interesting and could be the perfect knife.
its 300 european dollars tho :/

I'm willing to bet good money it is actually horrible to use. What use is an edge that extends UNDER your grip? Cut potatoes or carrots with that knife and it will all push against your fingers, gotta be super annoying. Judging from the grind and the bevel it is pretty thick behind the cutting edge, too. It also looks really heavy overall. For 300 bucks you can get a seriously nice handmade Japanese knife.

I'm waiting on knives to arrive.
Hope the thread is alive until then.

Bumping for this user.

Can anyone recommend a sharpening stone for a carbon steel knife? There's nowhere anywhere near where I live that sharpens knives.

You can't really go wrong with a name brand stone, from King or Naniwa for instance. I am not into sharpening stones,but if you really want to knock yourself out visit kitchenknifeforums.com

BTW this stone is very popular among kitchen knife enthusiasts:
chefknivestogo.com/naao2kgrbr.html
A gigantic thing, it will last you the rest of your life.

>bottom: takeda
just bought a nakiri from this maker

can't wait to get fired for tuning up the first asshat to take it off my station without my permission

That's pretty neat. Have any more?

I know nothing about sharpening knives, but I have 3 tools due to my family that can sharp it.
1) Is a sharpening stone
2) I dont know its name but you place the blade and roll it
3) This thing, I have no idea how to use it for Knives though.

>Spending more than $20 on a kitchen knife
>Ever
Fucking kitchen fedoras man.

Veeky Forums please help me, what is a good but reasonably cheap knife? i have a knife i bought for 5 euro and so of course after only a month it is already less sharp and has a small rust spot. good brand/model to get that doesn't go over like... 30 euro?

Got a hold of 2, 2 more on the way.

Sharpened one side of the trancher already, very difficult to get a clean line across the entire blade, especially since it's warped from the.. What do you call them in english? "olive grind"?

The rest of the knives won't get such thin edge.

Very happy with these two so far anyway, well balanced and comfortable to use.
Trancher knife seems to be quite soft steel though.

Is the sharpening stone in good condition (flat sides, grippy/non-clogged surfaces)? If yes, soak it in some water and go watch some youtube videos on sharpening. Do NOT use the thing in your pic, it will overheat and burn out your edge in a fraction of a second. You probably should not use 2) either, whatever it is.

Get a whetstone, learn how to sharpen and you will never have to worry about blunt knives ever again, for the rest of your life. And your nives will be sharper than 95% of the knives that leave the world's factories.

That said, if you bought a $5 knife it will most likely be a horribly thick and wedgy piece of shit. I's recommend the IKEA 365+ chef's knife, or one of the Wüsthof SilverPoint series. If you absolutely, positively have to pinch every penny try the Thai KIWI knives.

yeah I love my wusthof too. works just fine. I appreciate the weight. I guess I like heavy knives

Looks like a full flat grind. I could be wrong though

It's the concave things, the anti-suction ordeal.

In my language it's named "olive grind" anyway.

In English they're called divots, or Grantons, respectively a Granton edge. In German they're called Kullen/Kullenschliff.

Neat, thanks user!

You keep posting this and I keep asking every time why you spent so much money on similar stainless western knives when you could've had a handful of amazing knives? You gonna respond this time?

Because I collect stainless western beater type knives ...? I think I have mentioned a few times that I am not really interested in "amazing" knives, (though some of my knives are pretty nice and cost upwards $300), I like simple workhorse knives that I wouldn't think twice about using in a pro kitchen. Plus, most of the really premium tier knives are either carbon steel (rusting) or ultra hard powder steel, which I am leery about sharpening. Also, I dislike any "flashy" stuff about my workhorse knives, like damascus cladding and expensive handle materials. I had a thinning job performed on six of my beater knives and I can guarantee you they outperform knives many times their price now.

This is most of mine.

>scored a hiromoto before hiropocalypse
damm you, where am I going to get an AS gyuto for a reasonable price without giving money to CKTG

Maybe you could try the flea market subforums on kitchenknifeforums.com? I got one of them too when I heard he was retiring (or was he dying? I can't remember). I've still got it in my collection, still unused.

Yeah, it's one of my favorites. I've had two, one I gave to a coworker who broke the tip. I reground it and he replaced it with a new one for me. I'm still tempted to buy one of the honyaki he made before he retired, but it would be superfluous given the other knives I already have.

My chefs knife for work. Also have the rest of the set. Thinking about upgrading to Jap knives soon, but don't really know where to start. Heard great things about Mac, but that's it.

got zwilling knives from my mom since she lives near a factory outlet
are they good?

Some are decent, a lot (most) are shit

Most of those german companies figured out a while ago that nobody gives a shit what the knives are made of or how they perform, they just want something with a recognizable label on it

The good stuff that they sell is overpriced, and the rest of it is still overpriced, but not good

Lol

rude
oh. that's disappointing

It really depends on what you're looking for in the knife. The corrosion and chip resistance of x50crmov15 steel is extremely good. If you're willing to sacrifice some corrosion resistance and possibly some fit and finish, you can get knives much cheaper. You can find some that will have better edge retention as well, but they will be more prone to chipping.
I do tend to prefer harder tempered knives, but I have softer blades that get plenty of use, too.

This is a pretty basic hunting knife, the entire thing is around 10" long, it's made out of a car spring and it isn't quite finished, it still needs to be sanded down and finished. But it is still very sharp.

I'm actually going to give this away in a raffle on one of the smaller chans I normally frequent. I don't know why but I love making knives but I hate selling them, I figure giving them away as gifts is for the best.

The biggest problem with nearly all German (and a great many of the much vaunted Japanese) chef's knives is that they're way too thick behind the edge. If you are willing to go to some trouble to have a really good knife, have it thinned and reground by a professional knife maker/sharpener. Do you live in Germany? Contact Jürgen Schanz in Stutensee, BW. It costs only about 15€ per knife more than worth it. It is a WORLD of difference. If you're in the US you could try Dave Martell or Jon Broida, both can be contacted on kitcchenknifeforums.com.

Only have one good knife, got it last year.
Tojiro 240mm shirogami gyuto.
Very sharp but a bit too big for a lot of things. Gonna get a petty/utility knife next.

this is some gay shit. you don't need a fancy knife just a halfway decent one. the only cookware that matters are the pans/bakeware and the cook station itself

Is that top one a honesuki? If so is it worth it? I usually use a pairing knife or boning for chickens. Also is that bottom one a Takeda? Looks nice

Just got a cck and I'm loving it, everyone at work asked questions about it and wanted to test it out

Shun Classic 8"

>Cooking is gay shit. You don't need any fancy flavors, preparation methods, or plating. Nutrients and digestion are all that matter. Just blend everything.
News flash, people like things that aren't purely utilitarian.

I've always liked the feel of that style of hilt

getting real tired of seeing all of these nip knives

blade angle is trash.

We don't have any Globals like that here because my wife was concerned that the handles might be too slippery. I think they're beautiful, regardless.

pic related is you. kys.

>blade angle is trash

no it isn't. "nip knives" as you so rudely called them, are designed with sharper angles in order to provide a sharper knife. the tradeoff is that they might require slightly more maintenance than their Eurotrash counterparts, but with today's modern alloys, even that is starting to change.

kys.

That's for the input I'm not very knowledgeable in knives. It is fairly complicated
I live in France, Stutensee isn't that far. I'll consider it.

You can easily mail him the knives, I just stuck a cork on the tip of my knives and wrapped them in thick layers of newspapers and put them in a cardboard box, with padding crammed into the empty spaces.

I am not sure if he does that thinning for just anybody though, best contact him per e-mail before you send the knives and tell him that a pleased customer from the German messerforum.net recommended him to you.

I'll give it a shot when money comes afloat again.
Does he speak english or should I try my rusty german?

He ought to speak at least passable English, he is the official smith for the Quatar or Saudi royal family so he must know how to work with foreign customers. He has made €50.000 scimitars and diamond studded daggers for the king and princes, crazy stuff.

uh okay
I don't really have that kind of budget t b h

About the thinning, will it make them brittle? I'm careful with knives but the gf isn't.

Zwilling knives are made from typical German steel, it is extremly tough and will bend before it breaks. The knives will not chip, but if one is extremely careless (chopping bones or frozen stuff) it will of course get bent or dented more easily. Better get an old beater knife for that.

Got it
Thanks for all those informations

Can I get a halfway decent santoku for around $100? Birthday is coming up. I'm poor so nothing flashy. I like making sushi/sashimi based dishes, hence the desire for a single edged knife, but I also want a general purpose chef's knife to replace my cheap one, so I don't want a yanagi.

Doesn't have to be a Japanese brand, I'm not expecting them to come this cheap. Is the Wusthof santoku any good?

>santoku
>single edged
Continue your research before buying stuff, you've got a lot of misconceptions

I bought the same one, happy with it so far. I'm worried about sharpening it though, sooner or later the time will come and I'm afraid to fuck it up.

>Is the Wusthof santoku any good
Wüsthof has more than half a dozen completely different lines of knives at various prices, from the expensive IKON series to the cheap SilverPoints, and I guess they offer a santoku in most of them. get one without Kullens/Grantons, they do nothing for stiction and require a thicker blade which wedges more. A santoku is definely not "single edge" though (you probably mean "single bevel").